Thread: Rest Between Sets

Rest Between Sets

Usually, I take about 2 minutes between sets, but I've noticed that on some days (especially when I do abs), I run way past the hour mark. I want to try changing it up and only taking one minute between sets (which will also give me a little more aerobic it seems), but should I plan on decreasing my normal weight I use for each lift?

It depends on what your goals are. If you are lifting heavy the short rest between sets wont work well and you won't be able to complete your reps. Maybe take an overall look at the volume of your routine. Sometimes my workouts last up to 90mins but I would rather take my time, focus on what i'm doing and have a good workout instead of keeping an eye on the clock and just burning threw it.

It's all about increasing things slightly for the better.

There would be little or no point decreasing the rest time whilst decreasing the intensity.

You would be better off decreasing the rest time slightly but jimmy the intensity slightly higher to make good gains and then keep adjusting each variable gradually over time
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Most people give greater rest to power exercises. Hitting a 3 x 5 set of heavy squats might garner more rest than calf raises or isolated tricep work.

It depends on what your goals are.
    ^^^ This is true. You have to decide, "Ok, this is a power day on squats so I am going to go heavy and take 2 minutes," or "For calf raises I am going to take 45 seconds rest because I want to feel a burn."

I have been taking 10 breaths and going for another 'set' to failure the past two workouts. And then take another 10 breaths and go again to failure. Its freaking brutal man. I've never got so jacked from lifting before with any other sets/reps/rest tactics.

There's also something psychological to knowing that your only workset is one set rest paused two times. You just have to do that ONE set and you're done with the lift. You can get WAY AMPED to do one set cause you know its got to count.

(as opposed to doing 5 sets across or some craziness, I find it very hard to stay mentally focused with that many work sets)
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 05-29-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    It depends on what your goals are. If you are lifting heavy the short rest between sets wont work well and you won't be able to complete your reps. Maybe take an overall look at the volume of your routine. Sometimes my workouts last up to 90mins but I would rather take my time, focus on what i'm doing and have a good workout instead of keeping an eye on the clock and just burning threw it.

This.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I rest 5 mins sometimes when I'm squatting heavy. However, If my Goal is hypertrophy I'll rest 30-120 seconds.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Great, thanks for your input guys.

Banned
    If I am on my last set of squats or DL's sometimes I take up to 7 minutes. However, on my accessory stuff I try to keep it at 2 minute rest. Definitely cant go short rest on compound exercises if doing heavy weights...thats a sure way to injure yourself.

schmitty199
    I dont really use specific times, can just kind of feel when the muscles im working are ready to go again..
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys