The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

What do you eat for preworkout?

What do you eat before lifting and when? Just curious.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

~30mins before the workout I just eat my lunch (or breakfast!).

My Normal Day:
    7:20 - Wake Up
    7:50 - Breakfast
    11:20 - 2 Home Made Protein Bars+~750mlMilk for Snack
    2:30 - Get home
    2:45 - After making food, eat lunch.
    ~3:15 - Workout
    4:15 - Shower
    4:35 - Make Protein Shake (w/ Creatine, Banana, Oats, Milk, Olive Oil, PB)
    6:30-8 - Eat Dinner

FYI, Lunch consists of a ham sandwich/eggs/pasta+chicken/...etc so yeah regular stuff, no special prework food.
    Last edited by ArjunDhir; 05-29-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 168lb

Currently:
    Clean Bulking to 180lb as of May 23.

1 cup oats + 1 scoop protein about an hour before.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArjunDhir View Post
    ~30mins before the workout I just eat my lunch (or breakfast!).

My Normal Day:
    7:20 - Wake Up
    7:50 - Breakfast
    11:20 - 2 Home Made Protein Bars+~750mlMilk for Snack
    2:30 - Get home
    2:45 - After making food, eat lunch.
    ~3:15 - Workout
    4:15 - Shower
    4:35 - Make Protein Shake (w/ Creatine, Banana, Oats, Milk, Olive Oil, PB)
    6:30-8 - Eat Dinner

FYI, Lunch consists of a ham sandwich/eggs/pasta+chicken/...etc so yeah regular stuff, no special prework food.

Cool. Probably get a lot of energy for working out. Just saying, I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb).

Apparantly cooked lentils are one of the best pre-workout foods...
    askmen .com/top_10/fitness/24_fitness_list.html

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    A half hour before lifting I have an Opticen, creatine, and water shake. Immediately after workout, I'll have my Opticen with milk.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rkhan123 View Post
    Cool. Probably get a lot of energy for working out. Just saying, I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb).
    I haven't heard that before, but I don't do carbs and fat in the same meal. It's one or the other for me, personally. And I gotta have my carbs around my workouts.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I normally have an apple on the way to the gym and consume about 32 grams of protein in my shaker bottle during workout. I simply add the protein to water and use it as a workout drink.

that way, no rush to consume all the protein post w/o and my body is getting the protein it needs to recover during the workout and after.

As long as you dont mix with milk etc and keep it light, works great.
    One that speaks for, represents, or advocates.

Usually 8-12 oz of chicken or beef with either rice or potatoes an hour before I train.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Exponent View Post
    I normally have an apple on the way to the gym and consume about 32 grams of protein in my shaker bottle during workout. I simply add the protein to water and use it as a workout drink.

that way, no rush to consume all the protein post w/o and my body is getting the protein it needs to recover during the workout and after.

As long as you dont mix with milk etc and keep it light, works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    I haven't heard that before, but I don't do carbs and fat in the same meal. It's one or the other for me, personally. And I gotta have my carbs around my workouts.
    These I can vouch for. I have read that apple has more caffeine then a cup of coffee, so it'll keep you going the workouts. Whenever I eat some carbs before a workout (pasta..etc) I find I have a lot of energy and strength during it. Carbs are easily digested, I beleive and are great for intensive workouts.

---
    Can anyone confirm the "I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb)." ?

Currently:

Usually 8-12 oz of chicken or beef with either rice or potatoes an hour before I train.
    Very similar for me. If i still feel a bit flat (this usually only happens when im forced to workout at a different time of day than im used to) ill have a banana and a piece of bread with honey 10 mins pre workout.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rag15 View Post
    Apparantly cooked lentils are one of the best pre-workout foods...
    askmen .com/top_10/fitness/24_fitness_list.html
    Cool. I'm pakistani and we love lentils! Yummy and a good source of protein and fiber.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    A half hour before lifting I have an Opticen, creatine, and water shake. Immediately after workout, I'll have my Opticen with milk.
    I'm a newbie but I've heard its bad to drink milk pwo because of the casein.

Wannabebig Member
    These I can vouch for. I have read that apple has more caffeine then a cup of coffee, so it'll keep you going the workouts. Whenever I eat some carbs before a workout (pasta..etc) I find I have a lot of energy and strength during it. Carbs are easily digested, I beleive and are great for intensive workouts.

---
    Can anyone confirm the "I've heard that its bad to consume a lot of fat after workouts and I think your pwo shake might have a lot of fat (olive oil and pb)." ?
    Sorry if I caused any confusion. Do a little more research cause I'm a newbie. I've just read its bad to consume fats pwo because it digests slowly and you want fast digesting protein and carbs pwo. From what I've read, it would be better to have that kind of shake before bed as long as it fits in your calorie intake. Apples have caffeine!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by rkhan123; 05-30-2009 at 09:10 PM.

A bit of a stupid article (the writer at least) but I did a google search, and here`s what came up..Apparently apples have no caffeine but a different more efficent energy subsistute.

You know what they say, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away..." Maybe the old saying should go "An apple a day is better than a cup of coffee today!" It's true! Although apples do not have caffeine, they do have the glucose that fuels your brain and gives you energy. Legitimate natural energy! Talk about a pick-me-up!

Glucose:Brain::Gasoline:Car

(Glucose is to brain what gasoline is to car.)

This analogy brings back painful memories of the SATs! I wish I ate more apples then! Had I known of the goodness of apples sooner I would've saved tens of, gulp, maybe hundreds of dollars from buying so much darn coffee!
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Apples...ter!&id=958085

Currently:

Wannabebig Member
    A bit of a stupid article (the writer at least) but I did a google search, and here`s what came up..Apparently apples have no caffeine but a different more efficent energy subsistute.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Apples...ter!&id=958085
    Cool. thanks for the article. As they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
    Here are a couple sites about pwo nutrition. They might help.
    http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr114.htm
    http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.c...nutrition.html

Gonna Be Big
    Quote Originally Posted by rkhan123 View Post
    I'm a newbie but I've heard its bad to drink milk pwo because of the casein.
    Is this true? I hate choking down my protein with water.
    Tired of being skinny.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnywilly View Post
    Is this true? I hate choking down my protein with water.
    Well. I've exactly heard both sides. Some people say you don't want casein pwo while some say milk provides more cals and protein. I don't think it makes too much difference.

큰남자/Kun Namja
    sweet potatoes and a whey shake 60-90 minutes before. Don't have other options for protein powder where I'm living, so it's whey or nothing.
    Just cuz I'm a teacher, don't mean I'm a pussy.

Currently wrapping up The Eternal Cut.

made some of my biggest gains working out first thing in the morning on just a cup of coffee then having a gym-made protein shake on the way to work and a chicken breast an hour later.

1 scoop Nitrean with 1/2 cup oats and sometimes a banana about 20 minutes before workout.
    Last edited by mcdonough9395; 06-03-2009 at 08:22 PM.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

I just eat 3 eggs and cheese omelette pre-WO.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I make a shake of 100g dextrose and 100g whey protein and start sipping that before, during and after the workout. Also drink water during the workout cause its satisfying to quench thirst/wash chalk dust out of mouth (lmao).

How is that working for you Samadhi? ive thought of downing carbs and protein as im working out into after working out but never done it. Is it just one big drink?

its working out very nicely. I've never had such a good insulin reaction after working out before. I generally don't consume simple sugars, but now have started just around lifting time. Its GREAT stuff.

Yeah I just mix it in a half gallon milk jug and take a couple slugs of it every once in awhile between lifts (as long as you drink it slow it doesn't cramp you up or anything).
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 06-04-2009 at 02:13 PM.