Thread: First Day In This Forum. Contributing Post

ChrissBlake

First Day In This Forum. Contributing Post

Hello everyone! I'm new at this forum and hope this post will help out with some interaction.

Muscle Building Tips.

1. An effective muscle building workout schedule should be one where you workout different muscles on different days.

For example, (Day 1 biceps and chest)

(Day 2 back and shoulders).

Such routine allows the muscle with damaged tissues to repair themselves while you train other parts of your muscles. Also, rest is very important and you should always include a day of rest in between your weekly muscle building workout schedules.

2. Proper rest + Proper diet = Growth

Here’s the simple equation for growth. If you are overworking, change your workout schedules and routines. If you are following a good routine but have reached a plateau, change your diet to one with higher protein and higher calorie intake.

I was first skeptical when I was told that I stopped growing due to overtraining. However, try changing your schedule and you will see the difference in weeks!

3. For beginners to intermediates (especially those hitting a plateau)

A published research from Arizona State University shows that Variable Rep Training should be what beginners concentrate on. Usually, beginners change their workouts by varying between their different exercises or sets. By varying your reps instead of sets and exercises, you are stimulating the most sensitive training variable which prevents plateaus.

Variable Rep Training Example.
    Workout 1, 5 sets of 5 reps
    workout 2, 3 sets of 15 reps
    workout 3, 4 sets of 10 reps.

Main point is, get a good routine and stick to it with determination. Allow your body to rest for growth and don't overwork your muscles!

Hope you guys find this useful
    Last edited by chrissblake; 05-30-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Wannabe Fit.
    "Beginners should go circuit train."
    Oh.
    Last edited by Joshua_P; 05-30-2009 at 12:19 PM.
    "We get stronger by improving our weaknesses" - Detard

Quote Originally Posted by chrissblake View Post
    Muscle Building Tips.

1. An effective muscle building workout schedule should be one where you workout different muscles on different days. (Doesn't apply to beginners. Beginners should go circuit train. You'll gain strength really fast in the first 2 months!)

For example, (Day 1 biceps and chest)

(Day 2 back and shoulders).

Such routine allows the muscle with damaged tissues to repair themselves while you train other parts of your muscles. Also, rest is very important and you should always include a day of rest in between your weekly muscle building workout schedules.
    I know you may have had good intentions but stuff like the one bolded is going to get you in trouble round these parts . Also, you advice implies routines like SS are not good for beginners when it is in fact one of the best for beginners and would be much better than a routine that has a "chest/bi" day. Spend some time reading and listening to the fellas here.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

ChrissBlake
    That's exactly what i meant there. I mean that beginners should not follow such routines as they will be better off with whole body workouts rather than targetting specific muscle groups in a day. =/

Circuit Training =/= SS

And even so, a WO with a "chest/bi" day would still be subpar compared to something like Texas Method, WS, WSFSB, BGB (all intermediate+ routines) etc... Generally speaking, focusing on movements is better than body parts.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 12:34 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

ChrissBlake
    Some changes to my post there. Feel free to comment and believe what you think is right

For strength purposes I think #3 is flat wrong. And outside of a crossfit type routine I think it would be difficult to surpass the efficiency of something that sticks to a standard set/rep scheme like that of the aforementioned routines I cited. Its going to boil down to what your goals are... but any beginner would be far better off on something like SS and an intermediate strength trainee would be better off on something congruous to SS or WS and other than what you prescribed with #3. I dont mean to berate your posts but some of the things you are saying have been settled from empirical evidence.

The study you cited seems to compare beginners who change their exercise selection VS beginners who change set/rep scheme. This leaves out the comparison to standard linear progression with a single set of movements. I think that the variable training you are talking about is a good idea and can be very useful. I incorporate it in my routine from time to time. I think it might be useful to incorporate if someone stagnates in training but I think it is better to work within a rep range, and so do most strength coaches. I agree that it is beneficial to work in multiple rep ranges depending on your goal. I think it is essential to a strength program to stick to a designated set/rep scheme and in a certain range or ranges. For example, linear with all 3x5 sets across, standard linear progression. Another is conjugate. Westside is a shining and creative example. They work in two different styles but remain in a rep range. There are very advanced progressions that incorporate various sets/reps but they are for the person who has exhausted linear gains. They also work on a biweekly basis (Week 1: Work to 5RM; Week 2: 5x5 @ 90% of 5RM). All of these have a common denominator which is working in a designated range and marking verifiable progression.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-30-2009 at 02:32 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!