The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

getting shredded routine

after doing wbb 1.1 and bgb, ive come up w a new routine that is more of a bodybuilder routine. i know it may not be best, but i got bored of the other routines essentially. sometimes you gotta mix it up just to keep yourself sane. here is my breakdown.

Monday- arms
    tri ex.
    tri pulldowns
    skullcrushers
    tri pushdowns
    standing curls
    preacher curls
    hammer curls

tues - back/shoulder
    lat pulldown
    pull ups
    t-bar row
    flys
    milt press
    shrugs
    lateral raises

thurs - legs
    front squats (back squats have hurt my lower back so sticking to fronts)
    deads
    lunges
    calves

fri - chest
    bench
    incline dumbbell
    flat dumbbell
    pec flys

I do abs at the end of each day. I am thinking of keeping each 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. With 30 - 60 seconds of rest between sets. it's similar to a routine i found of a bodybuilder who is real cut ( i know that sounds stupid). but i am just trying to mix it up for the next several weeks. let me know your thoughts guys. THANKS.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dont make your own routine. The people who make the "premades" are professionals with a degree and years and years of experience training and coaching. Just do one of theirs. If you get bored... tough. Thats part of the game of making verifiable progress. Youve been here long enough to know all of this and have certainly been here long enough to know that in order to get shredded you need a solid diet.
    Sarvamangalam!

even though this is a decent routine i found from a semi-pro body builder on bodybulding.com?

Quote Originally Posted by PFM8241988 View Post
    even though this is a decent routine i found from a semi-pro body builder on bodybulding.com?
    Well, they suck and "decent" is a generous way to gauge the split. Have you tried SS?
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 05-27-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

This sucks, one day dedicated to arms. Theres like 4 tricep exercises in there! Just do dips and maybe pushdowns if you have to.
    Height:6ft 2in

Stats:
    working on it

This means nothing.

Are you a semi pro body builder? You really think by following a pro or semi pro bodybuilders routine, you will end up looking like them?

Only way you get bored of a routine is if you are not making any gains. Which is usually caused by your diet not suiting your goals and/or lack of effort.

WBB 1.1 and BGB are solid routines. Are you really above them?. A routine, sets, reps, exercise choices.....whatever, will not dictate whether you get ''real cut'' as you put it.

Get your diet organised to suit your goals, pick a solid premade routine and put in honest effort. You will get results.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

My first thought when I read the title of this was that the routine doesn't get one shredded, but the diet does. I agree with all the others on a pre-made routine. Let some one else with 30 years of experience and coaching do the thinking for you. Diet is the key here.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    standing curls
    preacher curls
    hammer curls
    You like curls, huh?

let me know your thoughts guys. THANKS.
    IMHO, don't make your own routine.

what kind of progress did you make with wbb 1.1 and bgb?

i had decent gains on wbb 1.1, but very little gains on bgb, i was doing it for a good 4 months too. also you need to switch up your routine every once in a while or your body will get to used to it, no? anyone else know a premade 4-day a wk routine then other than these two that i can do?

What are your stats? (height, weight, bf%, numbers, goals, diet)
    Sarvamangalam!

Georgia Boy
    I have not done it but there is a 4 day routine in the intermediate bodybuilding article. I dont think you have to change up your entire routine..maybe just switch up rep schemes or switch from barbell to dumbbell.

6' 185 lbs, bf 7% ish, not really sure but good ab definition

bench 205 5x5, squat 270 5x5, dead 265 5x5

my diet is very lean, eggs w toast and fruit in am, usually a power bar in there somewhere, then lunch (chicken/tuna salad), PWO 2 scoops of whey w skim milk, dinner, and some late night snack that is lean as well

Goal: add 10-15 lbs of lean muscle mass, i know it is a slow process since im not looking to bulk and cut, but thats really what i want a good workout for, cause i like being lean and keeping my abs yet adding some decent bulk/strength.

Thanks for the help.
    Hows this workout? http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hodge4.htm

You dont need a 4 day split. You need to get on SS and get your diet in check. You will make astounding results with SS and a solid diet.
    Sarvamangalam!

6' 185 lbs, bf 7% ish, not really sure but good ab definition

bench 205 5x5, squat 270 5x5, dead 265 5x5

Thanks for the help.
    you sure you're squatting and benching correctly? most people that have such a low deadlift either a) started deadlifting late, or b) have poor form in their bench and squats (half-ROM lets say).
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

i have been benching longer than squats and deads, w deads i feel i can do more, but my grip just slips always tahts why i dont do more w that

Thanks for the help.
    The 1st exercise choice in each day is great. The tonnes of isolation crap to follow is not so great IMHO

2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off is a decent approach if you choose a few worthwhile exercises to accompany the big multi joint movements that you do at the start of each day (squat, press, deadlift, bench) Im sure this approach can be as effective for BBing as it is for any other goals? Most certainly at novice and intermediate levels.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    The 1st exercise choice in each day is great. The tonnes of isolation crap to follow is not so great IMHO

2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off is a decent approach if you choose a few worthwhile exercises to accompany the big multi joint movements that you do at the start of each day (squat, press, deadlift, bench) Im sure this approach can be as effective for BBing as it is for any other goals? Most certainly at novice and intermediate levels.
    i noticed that some of the exercises had a ridiculous number of reps too!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*