The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

SuperTerrorizin'!

I haven't posted in 3 years. In those 3 years I quit lifting (wasn't serious about it anyway) and just partied and did stupid stuff. I started working out again 3 months ago and have been loving it. I put all my childish things I did in the past behind me and became a man. I sowed my oats I guess and am just more mature overall. I've never been very strong, but my strength has gone up since starting to train. Everything will come with time.

Stats:

5'10 or so
    229lbs

Goals: in 6 months to be at 180

So now time for some fun. Today's 4am training:

Upon waking around 8pm:

Cardio - 30 minutes stationary bike

4am:

Flat Bench - 65 x 12 (warmup), 100 x 6, 95 x 10
    Pec Deck - 90 x 12 (quit this because I was really feeling it more in my front delts)
    Incline DB flies - 15 x 10 (2 sets), 15 x 9
    Incline DB Press - 20 x 10 (3 sets)

DB Overhead Extension - 30 x 5 (my elbows were hurting even though my form was good so switched to skull crushers)
    Skullcrushers - 30 x 10 (3 sets)
    Cable Pressdowns - 70 x 10, 80 x 10, 90 x 8, 90 x 7

Weighted Oblique Crunches - 70 x 10 each side (2 sets)
    Weighted Crunches - 100 x 10 (3 sets)

PWO Cardio - 30 mins treadmill @ 3.0 with a 1.5 incline
    Last edited by SuperTerrorizer; 05-21-2009 at 06:31 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DB Press - 30 x 10, 30 x 9, 20 x 6
    DB Side Laterals - 20 x 12 (3 sets)
    BB Shrugs - 95 x 10, 95 x 10, 115 x 10, 115 x 10
    DB Rear Laterals - 35 x 6 (wasn't feeling this exercise)
    Reverse Peck Deck - 75 x 10, 75 x 10, 90 x 6

DB Hammer Curls - 30 x 6, 25 x 10
    BB Curl - 40 x 12, 40 x 10
    Reverse BB Preacher Curl - 30 x 10, 30 x 8

PWO Cardio - 45 mins treadmill @ 3.2mph on a 1.5 incline

Wasn't feeling strong today. Was a mediocre workout.

Today is my off day for weights.

Cardio - 45 minutes stationary bike

^^
    Add another 40 minutes treadmill @ 3.5mph on a 2.0 incline. HR around 130

Gonna have some beer today.

WB Bro. Getting at 4am marks you a serious now eh? Good stuff.

I'm surely in it to win it now.

Only had few beers and felt like a weakling for drinking. It may have a place in other walks of life... but not in mine anymore. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. I could have ate a small Pizza Hut pizza with all those calories.

I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow and see what I am. Was 229 last week. Feel that I may have gained or stayed the same even though I ate great and did tons of cardio and lifting. Just gotta wait and see.

Thanks for checking out my journal.

Weighed in @ 225lbs.

Leg Press - 135 x 12, 225 x 10, 265 x 10, 265 x 10
    Squats - 85 x 10, 95 x 9, 95 x 10
    Leg Curls - 70 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10
    Leg Extensions - 90 x 12, 105 x 10

I have to do legs wearing wraps because I have terrible knees. My legs don't feel so bad until I release the straps and then I feel the full pump. Almost nauseating.

Hamstrings are stinging today!

It's off day for weights.

2 sessions of 40 minutes on stationary bike.

I'd try and avoid leg extensions and curls if you have a problem with your knees, they REALLY aggravate mine when I do them - Try some romanian deadlifts or good mornings for hams.

Will look into those exercises man. Thanks for the recommendations.

Today's workouts:

Cardio - 30 minutes stationary bike

Flat Bench Press - 65 x 12, 95 x 6, 95 x 4, 85 x 6
    Incline DB Flies - 17.5 x 12 (3 sets)
    Hammer Incline Machine - 25 each side x 6 (3 sets)

Standing Calf Raises - 115 x 12, 135 x 10, 145 x 12
    Seated Calf Raises - 70 x 12, 85 x 12, 85 x 12

PWO Cardio - 30 minutes treadmill @ 5.0mph on a 2.0 incline

Was feeling very off today. Was in a bit of a depressed mood, plus I tried Gaspari Plasmajet which my friend gave me today and it didn't do anything for me. Didn't even get a decent pump. My cardio conditioning is really improving. I have a lot more stamina and speed walking now.

Those pump products are a waste of time IMO, I've gotten pumped to hell using one - but It didn't last very long. Don't sweat the bad days bro, just find a way to have some positive self reflection - be it art, music, movies, video games - make sure you reward yourself with things you enjoy

Keep smashing the weights man, you'll be getter stronger and dropping weigth before you know it!

I'm taking a recovery day since I've trained every day over the past week. So no cardio today nor weights. Just rest.

I don't really have much interest in anything but I do like bodybuilding, football, and movies. So I own quite a few bodybuilding dvds, watch tons of football when it's in season, and I own every movie except for one that I could possibly want. I have around 200 dvds. I just need to get 300 again and my collection is complete. Owned it at one time on blu ray but sold it. Gonna get it back on dvd. It's only $11 brand new.

I'm thinking of switching to Starting Strength. Just need to get a few things sorted out first and I'd be good to go. Looks brutal and I love pushing myself in the gym. Would love to do this while doing a lot of cardio to burn off that fat and keep heart rate up high.

Just doing cardio today. Don't have any money for food so just eating what is here. Won't be a very good selection. Will have money tomorrow though to get back on my regular diet.

This month is gonna be really expensive. I gotta buy the following:

- 12 cab rides home from the gym (can't walk after squats) for the month
    - $260 or so for groceries
    - whey, creatine
    - $40 for my phone
    - $80 I owe my dad
    - $130 I owe my brother
    - $60 for my gym

Doesn't leave me with much left over. I've been wanting to get a base tan for awhile but haven't been able to afford it. I also want to get this sweet ass TapOut shirt I saw at at the mall. I also need some shorts that aren't for workouts but just for casual wear. Plus I need some new shirts. That's life I guess. I used to blow my money on movies and beer and not have any food money. After a few months learned my lesson quickly with that one. 4 beers in a bar is like $20 with tip. I could buy 8 chicken breasts with that. Or 4 steaks. I'd rather have the food and with the hard training get the results. Tanning I would like but isn't really optimal until I get down into a lower bodyfat %.

Hey there Mate. Im benno and i recently joined up here! Seems like a good place to be to me! Ive been following your results over the last week and would like to say good work and keep it up! Its good to see you are realizing spending money on crap is expensive when u can buy quality food instead, which obviously helps in fat loss and builds muscle mass. Well done on the 4lbs loss over the last 7 days! You keep doing what ur doing the weight will fall off and you'll be down to goal weight 180 is no time! I will be looking at your journal on a regular basis to give u feedback and help achieve your goals through support.

Ive been weight lifting for a while now, but new here. So if u could follow my journal through time aswell it would be really appreciated. As we all know its good to hear from other people.

All the best, TRAIN hard mate.
    Benno
    Last edited by benno; 05-28-2009 at 01:49 AM.

I felt like getting a pump. Used my brothers weights.

DB Hammers - 20 x 12, 20 x 12, 20 x 12
    DB Curls - 20 x 10, 20 x 10
    BB Curls - 35 x 10

Then I got bored. Took me 2 songs on my ipod to do that. And no, I don't consider that a real workout.

If you can find the money for it, Starting Strength will really help you out. It helps you build strength really quickly. I started out with a 185 lb. squat and in about 6-7 months I hit a 335 lb. personal record. The book is worth the money. Get the 2nd edition. Good luck.

Also are there no cheaper gyms in your area? Most of the ones in mine are $30-$35.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 05-28-2009 at 08:52 AM.

There are cheaper gyms but when you add in the cost of getting there it's cheaper to go where I am. I can walk to my gym whereas the other one I would have to catch 2 buses or cabs everyday.

It's not that expensive considering I go almost every day. It's like less than $2 per visit.

Met the man

Not as tall as I thought he'd be

**** I haven't been here in a long time. I kind of lost my way and ended up mainly just doing cardio all the time. Back to weight training this week, if not today if the gym is open on labor day. I hate when I get side tracked because it happens so easily for me. I gotta focus on what I really want in life and just do it.

This is what I'm looking like these days

Last edited by SuperTerrorizer; 09-07-2009 at 05:31 AM.