Thread: Stop the pains and start the GAINs

Wannabebig Member

Stop the pains and start the GAINs

My name's Chase, and I've decided that it's time to really start hammering out the training sessions.

Old: 280lbs a few years ago. I dieted down to 185 before, and I slowly started creeping back up.

Recent: 245lbs was my very recent high weight. I cut out wheat, started taking B12 shots, and started eating more fruits/veggies. 3 weeks later I'm down 25lbs, and now the real work begins.

Current: 220lbs 5'10. (as of post)

Goal: 200lbs. ~10% Body Fat.

Allergic to Wheat / Dairy / Peanuts / Bananas. (no super serious problems with eating any of which, other than becoming lethargic and having nasal issues)

I'm creating this journal to help myself keep track of my progress, to gain insight from other members, and to help myself stay accountable.

Supplements: Nitrean / Fish Oil / ETS / Nitor / Creatine / B12.
    These are all available to me, but Nitor is too much of a stimulant for me, and I'm not currently loading Creatine.

One of the main reasons I enjoy weight lifting is because I have Scoliosis, and lifting is the one activity that actually decreases my pain. (hence the thread title)

I'm starting to lift again in the middle of my cut.. which is weird to me, but we'll see how it works out. I'm not sure what weight I should be lifting yet, so I'll start out small and work my way back up. Also, I've read a lot of Starting Strength, so I feel like I have at least some technique down already. I feel as if my only hindrance will be the equipment I have available to me. I have a Smith machine, (gahh) some free weights, some bar bells, a padded area for deads, an ab-lounge, and an inversion table for my back. I mostly dislike the Smith machine, because I'm stuck benching and squatting on it. I'll see about buying a squat rack / bench setup shortly.

Wish me luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-- Chase Randall

Wannabebig Member
    September 22nd, ~10pm

3x8 100lb squats

3x8 150lb deads

3x8 100lb bench

I knew I had lost some muscle mass, and I really started this process out easy. Due to inadequate stretching / warm-up, I messed up my right hamstring. It's not too bad, but I'm icing it right now. I intend on purchasing a treadmill/elliptical tomorrow or the next day. I enjoy running for ~5min prior to lifting, but my treadmill's broken so that wasn't an option. Feels good to have gotten into the gym though. Expect more!

Wannabebig Member
    September 24th, ~4pm

set x rep

- 4x5 110lb Squats

- 4x5 160lb Deadlifts

- 3x5 110lb Benchpress

- 1x10 110lb Benchpress

After my last training session I realized that I had gotten fairly out of shape, and that I didn't stretch enough prior to lifting. I decided to give myself adequate time stretching / warming up today. Some on-floor stretches, and jumping on a personal trampoline, and using the inversion machine seemed to do the trick. I had a nice workout.

Went to the chiropractor today. It was my Second visit. He seems like a well rounded doctor, and I have faith that if I continue to visit him, and I continue my training that I'll be feeling pretty damn good soon.

Squats/Deads/Bench is pretty generic... Anything you guys suggest adding to complete a well-rounded workout?

Wannabebig Member
    September 26th, ~1:00pm

set x rep

4x5 Squats 143lbs

4x5 Deadlifts 165lbs

4x5 Benchpress 121lbs

My shins are pretty bruised up, and it's not so much fun doing Deadlifts now. I feel like I have decent form, so is getting bruises just part of doing Deads? I've not done them much before, so maybe I just have weak shins. Squats felt solid. Bench was alright. I'm going to look up some more technique for benching. There's -so- many different styles and variations that it's hard to determine which is right for me. Suggestions/Advice would be amazing.

Warmed up doing some stretches and jumping on the trampoline for a while.

Wannabebig Member
    September 28th, ~6:00pm

set x rep
    Warm up: Tons of stretches / non-weighted lifts to heat up joints.

4x5 Squats 132lbs
    4x5 Deadlifts 176lbs
    4x5 Benchpress' 132lbs

On the 27th I went for an intense down-then-uphill hike/fish/hunt. My legs were feeling fine the 28th, except for the muscles that are on the front side of my shins. The Squats seemed to be more weight than they apparently were. I need to get a whiteboard in my gym(garage) to track the weight properly. Deadlifts are amazing. Bench technique is a bit better.

Started up a Health/Fitness college class that deals with goal-setting and nutrition, yet splits half the time between the classroom and the weight-room. I'll be switching between lifting at home, and lifting in the weight-room, because I want to lift EVERY OTHER DAY no matter what. On my off-days I'll be doing cardio when in my colleges weight-room.

I've been eating extremely clean. Fruits/Veggies/Lean Meats. B12 Shots and the occasional Nitrean. ( in water now instead of milk ) One MAIN CONCERN of mine: Lifting heavier and heavier weights, but with a limited protein source. I'm really trying to cut fat and gain muscle at the same time here, so hopefully this will continue to work and I'll continue to see gains in both areas. More water-nitrean? What do you guys suggest?

I can't wait for the day that I realize I'm Squatting 250, Deadlifting 300, and Benching 200. This is my short-term goal.

Feeling reluctant but may provide pictures soon...

Wannabebig Member
    September 30th, ~11:45pm.. late work out.

set x rep

warm-up: stretches / small trampoline / non-weighted lift motions.

4x5 143lbs Squats

4x5 187lbs Deadlifts

4x5 143lbs Benchpress

I could have easily called-off the workout tonight, but decided to just do it late instead of doing it tomorrow and ruining my routine. (trying for literally every 2 days no matter what)

Benchpress was quite a challenge tonight. I tried a new technique; placing the bottom of my feet on the bench itself while lifting. This didn't work out too well so I went with toes touching ground as far forward as I reasonably could. The weight was tough. I narrowed my grip up a bit and was able to power through it. My grip was very wide to begin with.

Chime in!

You are doing great. You're already lifting 30 to 40 lbs more than when you started. Keep it up
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    October 2nd, ~7:00pm

Warmup: some trampoline / stretches / muscle movement / non weighted lifts

set x rep

4x5 154lb Squats

4x5 198lb Deadlifts

4x5 154lb Benchpress

I've been trying to raise each lift by 11lbs per training session. This act will obviously have to seize eventually, but for now it's been working quite well. My legs are noticeably more muscular -- which is very nice. I've found muscles in my legs that I literally never knew were there. (fun) I wonder -when- I'll have to stop adding 11lbs though. I don't want to.

I've been doing my Squats/Bench on my Smith machine. I fking hate the thing, and it's made me seriously not enjoy Squats now. Benching on it isn't so bad. Yet. Free-Weights allow me to come out of the hole using my heels, but I've been using more of the top of my foot on this machine. It just doesn't feel 'right'. Need to buy squat rack asap.

I had two absolutely gorgeous women cooking me a huge steak and salad dinner while working out in my garages gym during this session. Then we all ate and did some Jäger-bombs and headed out for a night of partying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Randall View Post
    I had two absolutely gorgeous women cooking me a huge steak and salad dinner while working out in my garages gym during this session. Then we all ate and did some Jäger-bombs and headed out for a night of partying.
    That alone will build muscle
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    October 4th, ~10pm

set x rep

warmup: stretching, non weighted lifts, warming up muscles, etc.. (still need cardio machine.. not enjoying my treadmill being broken)

4x5 165lb Squats

4x5 209lb Deadlifts

4x5 165lb Benchpress

INTERESTING TRAINING SESSION. I felt really empowered today. My mental clarity has gone through the roof. I thoroughly enjoy having my gym in my garage, because it allows me to have a spot to do a lot of self reflection. Lifting requires nothing but self-determination, having a gym at home that you actually use; requires more of it.

Squats were fine today. I took a while to finish them as I've been typically doing. I think I wait too long between sets... I wait about 3 minutes. (I do a lot of reflection regarding the last set, let myself breathe.. etc)

Benchpress was interesting. I widened my grip today to involve more Pec and I was really happy with it. Odd though, because I narrowed my grip a few sessions back and was happy with it as well.. hmm.

DEADLIFTS! DEADLIFTS! DEADLIFTS! Holy **** I've been doing it all wrong. I've been using my arms as aids to help the initial movement of pulling the weight from the ground. Today I let my arms be more of just hooks, ie loosely holding the bar yet using solely my hamstrings/glutes/low back to pull the weight. It felt as if that's how I should have been doing them all along. At least I didn't discover this at like 400lbs... Deadlifting just became literally 2x tougher. If it remains terribly tough I may drop some weight to aid my technique. My technique didn't seem to suffer today though, I could actually pull it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You are doing great. You're already lifting 30 to 40 lbs more than when you started. Keep it up
    Thanks Off I appreciate the response. I'm really enjoying working out --every other day no matter what--. Hopefully I can keep this up and I'll be lifting some heavy weights here soon. Oh yeah, and I definitely got my work out in that night.. twice

Wannabebig Member
    October 5th, ~11:30am

First day of actual training in the weight room on campus. We did some stretching as a class first, and we were told recent sports medicine proves that stretching AFTER lifting/cardio is beneficial, but prior to activity won't increase flexibility in the long run. Interesting, but I'll do my own research to find out if that's true.

I did elliptical training for 35 minutes. Due to my strength training regime I noticed that I could go for extremely extended periods of time doing cardio. COOL! I used to get burnt out so fast! Cardio felt really good. I'm loving the strength gains and the added muscle, but I would, more than anything right now, prefer to get this fat off of me. My weeks schedule: Monday Cardio, Tuesday Strength, Wednesday Cardio, Thursday Strength, Friday off, Saturday Strength, Sunday off, Monday Freeweights in the schools weight room. I'm highly anticipating the FREEWEIGHTs!!! I'm foreseeing an issue regarding the transfer of gyms for lifting, but we'll see how it goes.

My lifting session last night was odd.. On my final bench rep I was extremely worn out but managed to push the weight, I gave it 100% though. I had a sensation in my head of euphoria, and my entire face was extremely tingly. I was breathing very heavily prior to, and during the lifts.. It wasn't painful at all, and I don't have any headache or issues, any input here guys?

Wannabebig Member
    October 6th, ~11:30pm

set x rep

Warmup: same as all previous.

4x5 176lb Squats

4x5 220lb Deadlifts

2x5 176lb Benchpress
    3x5 143lb Benchpress

So I realized today that I've reached my plateau as far as 'increasing bench every other day by 11lbs'. Starting Strength recommends increasing bench by 5lbs per training session. Suggestion for my next move? 176 was doable for 2 sets, but I was giving 97% effort. Should I do 176 on my next training day again? Should I drop the weight to 165 again? I had intended on doing a DECOMP next week when I started using more free versions of freeweights.. :P Next week decomp would be 100% more desirable. I may have just been training TOO late. Benching was being done at about 12:25am... If I don't get any feedback I'll probably just lift at 165 again, and increase Benchpress from there on by intervals of 5.5lbs.

My right knee hasn't been feeling very good. I've not gotten hurt, so I'm assuming that it's the Squats or Deads that are making it uncomfortable. I widened my Squat stance a little bit and it seemed to have helped.

Deadlifts were fun. I still need to sit down and read a lot about 100% proper form though.

Should I be doing any OH Pressing... I've heard a lot about doing a push and a pull. Is that what would most desirably fit into my routine? Help me out guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Randall View Post
    I'll probably just lift at 165 again, and increase Benchpress from there on by intervals of 5.5lbs.

Should I be doing any OH Pressing... I've heard a lot about doing a push and a pull!
    That sounds like a good plan for the Bench Press. Take a very small deload and then work back up with smaller jumps in weight.

Overhead Pressing would be a nice addition. You could arrange it like; Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press...or you could just do Starting Strength as it's listed on this site.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Awesome! Thanks, time to get serious! .. off to the gym for cardio though yay...

Wannabebig Member
    October 8th ~9:30pm

set x rep
    warmup: stretches / unweighted lifts, etc..

4x5 176 Squats

4x5 220 Deadlifts

4x5 154 Benchpress

My left lower back was KILLING ME all day. My left upper neck was KILLING ME all day too. Chiropractor is on Tuesday, and I can NOT wait.

I'm going to keep at these numbers for a little bit and solidify the transfer between my gym and freeweights at my school next week.

Wannabebig Member
    October 9th, 1:00pm

~15 minutes of Cardio and some stretches.

-- I'm about to head into my gym right now and work out. (oct 10th)

I'll return shortly and update

Wannabebig Member
    Had an injury. Keeping up with cardio in the mean time to burn off some excess fat. Have an appointment with a weight training coach tomorrow for the first time. Should be fun, but we'll see.

By injury I mean my knees are ****ed up from doing ****ty Squats on a Smith machine. Luckily I wasn't doing it for months and months.. wish my knees and low back some luck.

Note to others: When Squatting in a Smith Machine, just make sure you don't use the same form that you would using free weights. -_-