The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New Plan Need Feedback

Im trying a new plan right now to bulk. Im currently 210 lbs and have a fairly fine trim. I want to basically double my muscle size in a 4 month period. As of right now i'm eating about 5 meals per day with my meats, veggies, and whole wheats. The only supplements im taking are fish oil pills and wheybolic 60 protein shake.. (not a very widely known shake...Its pretty much only found in southern part of pennsylvania so when i go down there i always stock up on it and its worth it. its 30 bucks tho...) Anyway i'm rotating between chest and arms every other day with 2 days of rest per week. I need tips on how to keep building my muscle and see progression because i've been in a bit of a rut the past 2 or 3 weeks. I am using the whole muscle memory deal too and swtiching up my exercises and weights.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Eat more

Add squats and deadlifts

I know you probably think I'm picking on you, but really I'm just trying to help. Start reading, there are much better ways to go about getting muscular. Starting Strength, The WBB routines, HCT-12, just to name a few, are going to serve you better than a chest/arms routine.

Switching between two muscle groups with only two days rest is overkill, muscles grow as they rest. Ignoring the bigger muscles in your body will slow down your progress. It is also impossible to double your muscle mass in that short of a time period. This stuff takes years of dedicated consistency with a focus on getting stronger.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You need to be realistic first off. Even if you were on anabolics it would be hard and close to impossioble to double your size in 4 months. Your approach needs to change. Without seeing what you are eating and also how you are training there is not enough info to give any type of answer, but training chest and arms every few days is not going to increase your size. You need to train the whole body to grow.

read hct-12 here on WBB. It will give you all the information you could ever need to make realistic improvements.

Iron Junkie
    I agree. Check out SS or one of the other programs that focus on developing a complete physique, rather than just the muscle groups that are visible in the mirror. At the very least, if you want to create your own routine, be sure to train every muscle group (back and legs are the most neglected despite making up 2/3 of the overall body). Squats are deadlifts are essential but also consider adding: bent-over (or 1-arm DB) rows, pull-ups, military press, and incline bench press. Place more focus on larger muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders, legs) as they contribute greatly to the size of smaller groups (arms, calves). Hope this helps.
    Weaves
    Iron Junkie - Go Hard Or Go Home

Wannabebig Member
    For the record im not only working upper body. My schedule goes like this
    Monday = Light lifting [bench, squat, bells, lat pulldowns, ect] at normal x8 to x10 reps
    Tuesday = Day off
    Wednesday = Heavy lift. Squats, bench, dead lift, curls, ect at only x3 to x5 reps depending on the exercise.
    Thursday = Day off
    Friday = I Mostly just focus on cardio. Anything from running and ab work outs get put in there.
    Saturday & Sunday== Days off

So im in no way a beginner, i am just wondering how much i should change my workout to fit the bill. [which would be me ultimately getting BIGGER] I've looked into the HTC thing and it seems i'm almostly exactly on track with program number 1 with my weekly workouts. ... now the nutrition part that guy 1 was bitching about earlier....

As i said before i eat about 5 meals per day [dont know exactly what the guy didn't get with my meal description above] ... of coure i can't rattle every food i've consumed while on my plan, but i always get the necessary amounts of proteins,wheats,veggies, fruits (although in very small amounts) and my favorite guaranteed meal i eat ...chicken ......

Basically i'm just lookin for a little insight on how to make this plan better. Sorry for my lack of detail in the beginning of this post

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I know you probably think I'm picking on you, but really I'm just trying to help. Start reading, there are much better ways to go about getting muscular. Starting Strength, The WBB routines, HCT-12, just to name a few, are going to serve you better than a chest/arms routine.

Switching between two muscle groups with only two days rest is overkill, muscles grow as they rest. Ignoring the bigger muscles in your body will slow down your progress. It is also impossible to double your muscle mass in that short of a time period. This stuff takes years of dedicated consistency with a focus on getting stronger.
    oh no i totally get what your saying. I exagerated in saying i would like my muscle size to double, but i do want to see some drastic changes. In the past 4 months i have drastically seen my muscles increase steadily...but within the past month-month and a half i've been at a standstill. I have re-amped my program to only doing hard lifting once per week. when i say i'm doing my light lifting i mean light...like only 130 - 140 on bench.... I am constantly screwing with my muscle memory and be conscience about my meals. Unfortunately my meals weren't as great in the beginning 2-3 months of my plan...i mostly ate salads which made me LOSE almost 10 pounds...which wouldn't bother me if i didn't want to get bigger lol. But to my defense i do need to be careful because i am 210 and really do not want to exceed 225 in my getting bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    i'm rotating between chest and arms every other day with 2 days of rest per week. I am using the whole muscle memory deal too and swtiching up my exercises and weights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Monday = Light lifting [bench, squat, bells, lat pulldowns, ect] at normal x8 to x10 reps

Wednesday = Heavy lift. Squats, bench, dead lift, curls, ect at only x3 to x5 reps depending on the exercise.
    Those are two vastly different workouts that you posted. No wonder we were confused.

Switching exercises frequently (muscle confusion) and using light workouts is not the best way to go about it. Get a solid routine that you can be progressive and consistent with. Focus on getting stronger on a handful of movements with a focus on the compound lifts. Work hard, get stronger and eat well for a couple of years.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!