The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

How Gluteal Atrophy Effects Posture & Performance

How Gluteal Atrophy Effects Posture & Performance - by John Izzo

The importance of gluteal function is imperative to proper posture and human performance.

Optimal function from the glutes will enable you to perform optimally for sport and to get the most out of your hard work with the iron, aswell as helping reduce the risk of low back pain and other associated injuries.

We take you through the function of the glutes, common causes of gluteal atrophy and how you can avoid it!

Thanks to John for contributing this article.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-01-2009 at 06:31 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Fantastic article! Very nice to have some articles that I can pass along to people who generally don't train, but want to fix something wrong with their posture

Good article!

A phrase that Gray Cook and Brett Jones use is "The hip is a bad neighbor.", which basically means that if hip flexion and extension is compromised because of weak/inactive primary movers, injury, inflexibility, etc., then the stress will be passed to neighboring areas that are less equipped to deal with it (like the lumbar...).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thanks!! Work on those glutes and most problems get resolved.
    John Izzo, NASM-CPT, PES
    www.IZZOstrengthtraining.com

Wannabebig New Member
    Excellent article! ...
    Last edited by georgiep; 06-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks bro.
    John Izzo, NASM-CPT, PES

Nice article, would these help out at all for those who already train. I know for myself my squat is a not my best lift could this in anyway help out in this area? Thanks again for the article I know some people that may get some real help from it.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

People complain all the time to me that they don't have a butt...Now I can pass this article along to them so that maybe they will start exercising!

Hey, I'm exactly the same. I'm in front of a computer most of the day and some of the evening, more so in the last few months and I definately noticed more niggles and tightness.

Now that I am stretching daily, taking more breaks and going for short walks etc I feel so much better!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

LuNa
    Really good read. I have the sway back posture which gave me a lot of lower back pain when i was younger. I have been focussing on my squats and trying to work my glutes. I do stretches everyday now with my girlfriend (she likes yoga) and it has helped with my squat form enormously. Hope my posterior will improve over time aswell.

Hey guys,
    We don't really train the posterior as much, simply because we don't SEE it! ALot of young lifters get in the habit of working on the "front" mirror muscles and we tend to forget the back muscles--one of them being the GLUTES. The office chair is the biggest muscle atrophy device ever invented.
    John Izzo, NASM-CPT, PES

Wannabebig New Member
    I HAVE this problem in a serious way due to 15 yrs as a truck driver my spine is now permanently curved one other tip never sit with a wallet in your back pocket because it makes you hips uneven

One confusing thing for me is I want to work the posterior chain to activate glutes, but when I do a back extension I wonder how to make us do more work with glutes and less with hamstrings.

Like part of me thinks 'perhaps I should anchor my weight above the knee, on the back of the thigh instead of the ankle'. But then the other thinks that if the hamstring is being used as a knee flexor, it will be too weak to also be used as a hip extensor so the strength will need to come from someplace else, in this case the glutes... which is correct?

If you have a access to a setup or machine that can anchor then knee, it will definitely force the glutes to work harder. In some cases glutes can become completely inactive in which case just doing work on a flat surface while laying prone may be best. I know before I started to do activation work I couldn't even get my glutes to fire by themselves for a while. When you're doing the back extensions, really push the hips through at the top and squeeze/hold the glutes for a second to build a solid mind-muscle connection.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"