Thread: Abs

Abs

Hi all

I normally do each of my lifts once a week, though I have read that abs should be done every day. What are your oppinions on this - is once a week for abs ok or is it better to do every day or maybe 3 times a week or?

Also what do you guys do for abs? I have an Ab King Pro (basically just a decline situp bench with back support) and they recomment 3 minutes a day (every day). Anyone used this?

Australia - Where the women really go down under!
    what results would you expect to get if you trained any other muscle group each day? Abs are still a muscle, so my opinion is that you should train it twice a week, with at least 48 hours of recovery in between.
    "People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

As long as you aren't going balls out on each of the three days I don't see any reason why you couldn't train abs 3 times a week. Have one HEAVY ab day (at end of workout) and then maybe 2 lighter days with different type exercises.

Thanks for your replies. When you say do a heavy ab workout, what would be the best workout to do? Weighted decline situps? Because whenever I do weighted situps I get a sudden bad headache, and going lighter is stupid because I'd have to go so light I might as well be doing bodyweight

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Thanks for your replies. When you say do a heavy ab workout, what would be the best workout to do? Weighted decline situps? Because whenever I do weighted situps I get a sudden bad headache, and going lighter is stupid because I'd have to go so light I might as well be doing bodyweight
    You should look at doing standing ab work then, woodchops, figure 8's with a medicine ball/DB, plate choppers, kneeling cable crunches, hanging crunches.

If you do any of those with a little bit of weight and good form, while keeping your abs/obliques tight - you'll be feeling it. Weighted crunches will end up involving too much hip flexors, so your not directly working your core.