The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Guess I have been doing everything wrong

Ok I have been lifting for about 3 years. I am 43 years old 5'10" ,195 pounds.
    My routine looks like this :
    Tuesday
    bb curls
    db curls
    preacher curls
    tricep pushdowns
    db tricep extensions
    skull crushers

Thursday
    db shrugs
    chin ups
    lat raises
    bb shrugs
    front raises
    db press
    lat pull downs

Saturday
    Squats
    Deads
    calf extensions

Sunday
    BB flat bench press
    db flyes
    bent rows
    DB flat bench press
    Inclines

I shrug around 350 on bb and 115 on DB, I bench around 255 (don't know my max) DB tricep extensions I use 115 pounds.
    I want to get serious now, but when I look at the routines here it seems that there are not enough exercises. Can anyone lead me in the right direction please. Not bodybuilding I just want to be strong and look it too
    thank you in advance

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There are tons of pre-made routines that will do wonders for you. Many people that have done tons of exercises per body part think that less is not better. Frequently, it is. You want to focus on the big, compound exercises - squats, deads, bench press, sohp, pullups/chinups, rows, power cleans, etc. Those should be first in the routine for each day. Then if you want to do a few isolation exercises at the end, that's OK, too.

You might read the Starting Strength sticky. Starting Strength is an excellent program. It will help you build a good foundation of strength (and size, if you eat enough).
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

I see that you have all the important lifts in there - squats, deads, overhead press, bench, pull-ups, and rows (all compound lifts). You do have quite a lot of isolations in there, which really isn't necessary. Unfortunately that is the mentality that most (uninformed) people have. You'll notice that almost every guy at the gym has an "arm day" I bet, and I also bet that it's probably pretty rare to see people squatting properly (if at all) or deadlifting at all.

That brings me to my next point - If you never learned how to full squat properly, I'd highly suggest that you do so. I did 1/2 squats for the longest time (when I finally realized how important squatting was, because I never used to do them), and I was wondering my my knees were always shot. Little did I know that proper form and going deep is very critical to avoid unnecessary pains and injuries. Check out the book "starting strength" for proper form on all the lifts, especially squats.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah a lot of guys are doing the "arms" day routine. I have just purchased starting strength but I think I am past the "fundamental stage". I am really looking for something to move me past where I am stuck now.
    Last edited by ghard78; 05-26-2009 at 11:37 AM.

I 4th SS. Get it, read it, do it. Youll make great progress with a good diet.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ghard78 View Post
    Yeah a lot of guys are doing the "arms" day routine. I have just purchased starting strength but I think I am past the "fundamental stage". I am really looking for something to move me past where I am stuck now.
    Well, you did post your routine, and by the looks of it I'd guess that you haven't really tried a program such as the novice routine that is suggested in the book. Give that a shot, and progress for as long as you can, then worry about where to move on after that.

Besides "novice" has nothing to do with being new to lifting. It just simply means that you are capable of making linear progress in your lifts every workout. Once that is no longer possible, then you are no longer a "novice" according to Rippetoe's definition.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    I will give SS a shot but can I also do some isolated bicep, tricep and trap exercises ? Or do I just stick with the squat, bench press and deads?

I will give SS a shot but can I also do some isolated bicep, tricep and trap exercises ? Or do I just stick with the squat, bench press and deads?
    It probably wont hurt to add in a couple of sets of curls or dips but keep them minimal and you definitely wont need extra trap work nor should you do any more.
    Sarvamangalam!

Isolation isn't a bad idea with SS especially if you've been lifting for so long. I second ZenMonkey with the trap work... you won't need it with the deadlifting.
    If your benching properly you won't need much tricep work.

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR View Post
    Isolation isn't a bad idea with SS especially if you've been lifting for so long. I second ZenMonkey with the trap work... you won't need it with the deadlifting.
    If your benching properly you won't need much tricep work.
    I agree about not really needing tri work either. Between OH pressing and benching it owuld be too much for me
    Sarvamangalam!

I'd limit the direct bicep work to maybe 3 to 5 sets per week, because you really shouldn't need any more then that. Make sure you do a lot of chin-ups while doing SS though. That right there will give you tons of bicep work.

As for direct tricep work, I'd say you don't really need that either, but if you really do feel the urge, then do it the same as biceps - 3 to 5 sets per week.

Maybe make friday your day where you do the bis and tris, or maybe make monday the day you add the bis and friday the day you add the tris. Basically just don't do direct bis and tris every workout. That's how I would go about it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I'd limit the direct bicep work to maybe 3 to 5 sets per week, because you really shouldn't need any more then that. Make sure you do a lot of chin-ups while doing SS though. That right there will give you tons of bicep work.

As for direct tricep work, I'd say you don't really need that either, but if you really do feel the urge, then do it the same as biceps - 3 to 5 sets per week.

Maybe make friday your day where you do the bis and tris, or maybe make monday the day you add the bis and friday the day you add the tris. Basically just don't do direct bis and tris every workout. That's how I would go about it.
    that actually sounds great !! I appreciate all the responses, this is the first forum for weight lifting I have posted on and I am glad I did.

that actually sounds great !! I appreciate all the responses, this is the first forum for weight lifting I have posted on and I am glad I did.
    Good deal. Start a journal here to track your progress and stay motivated with some of the other members. This is seriously one of the best boards on the net if you want good information from some of the top lifters around.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    So I have started a new routine... here it is...all exercises are 3 sets
    Sunday
    Max Bench
    Tricep exercise
    Bent Rows
    Tricep Exercise
    Barbell Shrugs

Tuesday
    Light Squats
    DB shrugs
    Bicep Exercise
    Lower Back exercise
    Bicep Exercise

thursday
    Light Benchpress
    Triceps
    Shoulder
    Bent Rows
    DB Benchpress

Friday
    Deadlifts
    Heavy Squats
    Overhead Press
    Biceps

I mix in chinups 3 times a week too.
    ZenMonkey whatcha think about it?
    thanks

Wannabebig Member
    bump .....waiting on Zen

Whats up man? So youre 43, 5'10'' and 195 and just looking to get balls strong? What do your lifting numbers look like (squat, dl, bench, OHpress)? What is your bf%? What is your lifting experience? Any other specific goals? PM me if you like.
    Sarvamangalam!