The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Perfect Diet?

Greek God

Perfect Diet?

Hey guys, haven't been on in forever and usually I stick to supplements, but this diet is amazing.
    If you know anything about anything, you'll have heard of the Keto Diet.

If you want to lose weight, it's perfect (give or take).

I personally am putting on muscle pounds and gaining with it. All I do is follow the diet and eat a LOT, and after each workout, drink an 8 oz. gatorade or applejuice with creatine, and 10 mins later, protein shake. restore glycogen and then feed it the protein it wants.

I also have a mass gaining workout that is top 3 three-day right now on a lot of bodybuilding websites. I'll post it if anyone is interested. look into keto, and tweak it to fit urself. 50 MAX carbs a day on that, i do less than 30 easy.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No harm is posting the ''mass gaining workout'' you speak of.

I'm interested to say the least.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 168lb

Currently:
    Clean Bulking to 180lb as of May 23.

Greek God
    Day 1 - Chest, Triceps, Delts:

* 3 x 10 Bench press
    * 3 x 10 Close-grip bench press
    * 3 x 10 Incline bench press
    * 3 x 8 Dumbbell flyes
    * 3 x 8 Skull crushers
    * 3 x 10 Tricep extensions
    * 3 x 15 Front dumbbell raise
    * 3 x 15 Side dumbbell raise.

Day 3 - Biceps, Back, Traps, Forearms:

* 3 x 10 Barbell curls (try wide and close grips too)
    * 3 x 10 Concentration curls
    * 3 sets of pullups to failure (if you can do them)
    * 3 x 10 Lat pulls
    * 3 x 10 Bent-over Rows
    * 3 x 10 Wrist curls
    * 3 x 10 Barbell shrugs
    * 3 x 10 Calf raise machine shrugs

Day 3 - Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings & Calves:

* 3 x 10 Squats
    * 3 x 10 Barbell deadlifts
    * 3 x 10 Leg press
    * 3 x 10 Leg extensions
    * 3 x 10 Calf raises
    * 3 x 10 Barbell lunges
    * 3 sets Farmer's walk

I was going to do the Arnold Workout but then I realized .. no. So I settled on this, seems good so far, the leg day especially kills you.

you are doing this workout on less than 50 gms of carbs each day? How often do you refeed? What weights are you using in you exercises and what does your progression look like?

I have a tough time believing you are putting on muscle and weight using a keto diet. Like Joey asked, are you refeeding? I could see it if you are refeeding.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    *1) Burn more calories then you're consuming everyday and measure your results using the following formula: Calories Consumed minus Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) minus Physical Activity minus the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). A website that explains this formula in more detail and will help you determine how many calories you need to reach or maintain a certain weight is at

Get a diet and fitness calculator that you can put on your computer or cell phone. This will allow you to easily calculate the above formula, set goals, log your daily calorie consumption, and register your physical activities.

*2) Eat natural and organic foods found on earth versus something created by a corporation to make money. Eat meals in small portions throughout the day and take a good multi-vitamin supplement.

Avoid “High Glycemic Load Carbs” (sugar, pastries, desserts, refined starches such as breads, pasta, refined grains like white rice; high starch vegetables such as potatoes) and drink lots of water. Read this article for more information on high GL Carbs:

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mivpl View Post
    *2) Eat natural and organic foods found on earth versus something created by a corporation to make money. Eat meals in small portions throughout the day and take a good multi-vitamin supplement.

Avoid “High Glycemic Load Carbs” (sugar, pastries, desserts, refined starches such as breads, pasta, refined grains like white rice; high starch vegetables such as potatoes) and drink lots of water. Read this article for more information on high GL Carbs:
    first, the term "natural" is not regulated so it can be thrown around very loosely. also, why eat organic, why not just eat typical foods? organic isn't anything special other than being very expensive. i mean, if an organic farm is surrounded on all sides by conventional farms, there's boudn to be chemicals that go onto/into the plants in the organic farm. in addition, many chemicals get washed off completely or come off the foods with the passage of time.

i'd say just buy basic foods such as ground beef/steak, eggs, turkey, if you have more money, fish. the multi is a good idea.

as for no high GI carb loads, search skip loading and see what you find out about it. he's shown that the loads definitely help people get leaner.

no deadlift? thats a pretty high volume workout...
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mivpl View Post
    *1) Burn more calories then you're consuming everyday and measure your results using the following formula: Calories Consumed minus Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) minus Physical Activity minus the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). A website that explains this formula in more detail and will help you determine how many calories you need to reach or maintain a certain weight is at

Get a diet and fitness calculator that you can put on your computer or cell phone. This will allow you to easily calculate the above formula, set goals, log your daily calorie consumption, and register your physical activities.

I wasn't aware that organic farms weren't out to make money...

Also, pasta isn't considered a high GI food.

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdman View Post
    Day 1 - Chest, Triceps, Delts:

* 3 x 10 Bench press
    * 3 x 10 Close-grip bench press
    * 3 x 10 Incline bench press
    * 3 x 8 Dumbbell flyes
    * 3 x 8 Skull crushers
    * 3 x 10 Tricep extensions
    * 3 x 15 Front dumbbell raise
    * 3 x 15 Side dumbbell raise.

Day 3 - Biceps, Back, Traps, Forearms:

* 3 x 10 Barbell curls (try wide and close grips too)
    * 3 x 10 Concentration curls
    * 3 sets of pullups to failure (if you can do them)
    * 3 x 10 Lat pulls
    * 3 x 10 Bent-over Rows
    * 3 x 10 Wrist curls
    * 3 x 10 Barbell shrugs
    * 3 x 10 Calf raise machine shrugs

Day 3 - Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings & Calves:

* 3 x 10 Squats
    * 3 x 10 Barbell deadlifts
    * 3 x 10 Leg press
    * 3 x 10 Leg extensions
    * 3 x 10 Calf raises
    * 3 x 10 Barbell lunges
    * 3 sets Farmer's walk

I was going to do the Arnold Workout but then I realized .. no. So I settled on this, seems good so far, the leg day especially kills you.
    Way too much volume.

90 reps of thigh/butt work followed by 3 sets of farmer's walk is overkill.

I do 2 sets of squats (3 if you count the warm up) and then later in the workout 2 sets of leg press. I can barely walk up stairs after that.

Greek God
    Sorry, there is a deadlift in there that was 3x8 that i changed to 5x5 and i also changed the squats to 5x5. I refeed every week for about 24-30 hours, very slow-burning carbs and at VERY high rates. so far, i have eaten about 200g of breads and wheats alone, besides the chicken and apple i had, and ive only been up since 9 AM. (1:00 or so now).

It is high volume, but train like a champ and you will see results. Most exercises were 2 x 8 or 2x10 or 2x12 .. you get it, but I changed it to 3 and the first is usually a buffer/warm up to get the blood flowing.

Why is it that people think keto is to only lose weight? What ever happened to the old school concept that if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight lol Nothing has changed in our anatomy to suggest otherwise.

Look at the arnold workout and tell me that is not WAY too stacked, but then look at him. Stacking a workout is never a bad thing.

More opinions after the update, please

Greek God
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    you are doing this workout on less than 50 gms of carbs each day? How often do you refeed? What weights are you using in you exercises and what does your progression look like?

You have no idea. My gains have been immediate and blatant. Yes, I refeed. Everyone refeeds, I have never seen anyone go more than 2 weeks without it. Its odd to see and extremely pointless not to.

I am not going to go over each weight I do sorry but if you have a certain few i will answer them..

Look at the arnold workout and tell me that is not WAY too stacked, but then look at him. Stacking a workout is never a bad thing.

More opinions after the update, please
    Arnold was a genetic freak, but that's another topic all together.
    Nowhere did I say that you wouldn't see results with that much volume, but I said it was overkill, as in, unnecessary.

You have no idea. My gains have been immediate and blatant. Yes, I refeed. Everyone refeeds, I have never seen anyone go more than 2 weeks without it. Its odd to see and extremely pointless not to.

I am not going to go over each weight I do sorry but if you have a certain few i will answer them..
    What do you squat, what do you bench, and what do you deadlift? What did you use for your first workout on this program of each exercise, how often have you been following this program, and how much weight have you gained? I like your diet ideas with the refeeds, but I hate the workout.

The Keto is designed to lose weight... If you're taking in more calories than burning, it's not really the keto diet anymore...
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    The Keto is designed to lose weight... If you're taking in more calories than burning, it's not really the keto diet anymore...
    This.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

The ketogenic diet is designed to induce ketosis. It just happens that most people eat less while in ketosis that it's used for weight loss purposes.

Greek God
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post

It's not designed to lose weight at all lol the spartan diet is the same thing without refeeding and those spartans were f***ing massive

besides the diet, why does everyone hate the workout? simply too much per day?

It's not designed to lose weight at all lol the spartan diet is the same thing without refeeding and those spartans were f***ing massive
    No, no they weren't. They were lean and strong. They were absolutely not massive. No warrior culture aimed for size, it was always strength and speed. Being heavier often meant being slower and less mobile as well as more difficult to maintain. That would be why they didn't wear any armor aside from greaves, bracers, and a helmet.

Please take some time to read a little something about nutritional anthropology.

Also, any variation of a ketogenic diet is designed for fat loss. It's very hard to induce ketosis if your caloric intake is higher than maintenance. You'll just burn the extra protein instead.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 06-02-2009 at 07:54 AM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

It's quite easy to induce ketosis without weight loss. A ketogenic diet at maintenance Calories isn't high-protein, it's very high fat, fairly low in protein and almost non-existent carbohydrates. It's been used around the world to reduce symptoms of epilepsy and other ailments for a long time.

But still, going into ketosis and trying to gain lean tissue is fairly stupid.