The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Texas Method

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian999 View Post
    If you get the Texas Method book. Rip said for my weight (200lb range I think) I should have a 155lb press, 225lb bench, 301lb squat, 351 dead, and 217 power clean before I consider myself an intermediate. Whats your weight by any chance?
    Im also sure that Rip said that he wished he had never put those ranges in and that later versions of the book do not include those numbers anymore. The numbers are so generic that noone should really pay atention to it. For example, i am close to a 301lb squat, over a 351 dead but i still have a 150 pound bench. Would that mean i still have to spend months and months on SS until i reach 225 bench, even though i have stalled on my squat and dead?

The only way that you will know you should move to TM is when you stall on SS, not by numbers in a book.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post

The only way that you will know you should move to TM is when you stall on SS, not by numbers in a book.
    I see what your saying and yes there generic but before I would change my routine from SS I'd see whats wrong. The OP clearly said he didn't sleep enough, and his diet wasn't the best. If I had a 185lb squat and wont progress there would definetly be something wrong. Heck If I would have done that I'd be through over 4 routines by now.
    Last edited by Brian999; 11-03-2009 at 01:00 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

LuNa
    I see what your saying and yes there generic but before I would change my routine from SS I'd see whats wrong. The OP clearly said he didn't sleep enough, and his diet wasn't the best. If I had a 185lb squat and wont progress there would definetly be something wrong. Heck If I would have done that I'd be through over 4 routines by now.
    I definitely agree with that. That is also the reason why it says in the book you should take a close look at all the variables and deload, instead of switching programs. I was just pointing out that even if you are off from the numbers, you could still benefit from moving on to TM, considering all other variables are decent.

I weight about 175 lbs.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I will go back to and stick with SS for a good bit longer. I will push harder and go deeper on my squats. All my other lifts have been progressing decently, besides my SOP (this has slowed down a bit). So I will stick with SS and work with the same weight if need be on my squats until I push through the plateau.

I really think diet, sleep, and stress is effecting my progress on certain lifts.

I actually really like the simplicity of SS and have tried to recommend it to friends. I just got excited thinking about trying TM, something that was a tad different as well as had some different rep ranges.

Thanks for the help, I'll really dig my heels into SS for a while longer.

One last question, is there a point weight wise where you should start thinking about using a weight belt when squatting? Or is it all personal preference?

Wannabebig Member shutUpAndSquat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depotman View Post

One last question, is there a point weight wise where you should start thinking about using a weight belt when squatting? Or is it all personal preference?
    i use a belt only when i do doubles or singles. It's more a psicological matter for me, i don't lift so heavy to need a belt. But it helps me to feel safer, so I use it.
    my texas method training log

I never use a belt...but I rarely go below 5 reps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    [QUOTE=depotman;2236584]I just got excited thinking about trying TM, something that was a tad different as well as had some different rep ranges./QUOTE]

I do have to say that what you are mentioning is important as well. Im sure you can still make gains from SS if you work hard, but actually being excited about going to the gym is important as well.

I have followed SS for about 4-5 months and done a slight variation for another 1-2 months. At the end i dreaded going to the gym and i started making excuses so i would not have to go. I switched programs, from SS to 5/3/1, and im so excited again that it is hard to not do back to back sessions. Im happier in life in general and i work even harder because im happy with what im actually doing in the gym.

If you find that your dreading your sessions, why not switch to something more exciting. I understand that you have to build the base with something like SS, but i feel that a program that you actually like to follow, will give you better gains.

Just something to think about.

One more questions Zen. If I wanted to do dips Can I add them to intensity day? Or would that be too much volume? I really only want to do them to hammer the tris. My triceps have always been the weakest thats why I think my bench is not as good as my other lifts. If that would be too much volume, can I throw in some pushdowns instead?
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...=1#post2241618

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    HARDGAINER = NOT EATING ENOUGH

One more questions Zen. If I wanted to do dips Can I add them to intensity day? Or would that be too much volume? I really only want to do them to hammer the tris. My triceps have always been the weakest thats why I think my bench is not as good as my other lifts. If that would be too much volume, can I throw in some pushdowns instead?
    It all depends if you will be recovered for the coming Volume pressing. Try it out for a week and see what happens... Id lean to the side of not adding them in but its worth a try.
    Sarvamangalam!

Sorry guys I apologise to ask a **** question here. But on monday when the sets are 5x5 across, does that mean i'm being asked to do 5 sets of the previous fridays PB? Isnt that a bit much? I'm only asking because currently i'm doing a very similar program where you just ramp up to your pb on monday.

No, there is no cooerlation between Monday's and Friday's weight, if there is, it is incidental. You progress bi weekly on 2 fronts, Monday's volume and Friday's intensity, both independent from one another even though one augments the other.

It sounds like you might be doing Bill Starr's 5x5, which in that case TM is a step down in complexity and probably would only stall you out depending on how you recover from volume day.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 01-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yeah i do bill starrs, thanks i understand what this programs getting at now, hmmm, interesting. I should have picked up on this before i started Bill's 5x5, to be fair i've augmented the 5x5 to look much like this, i guess i'm doing ok, my lifts are still all going up. Thx for reply.

Garage Lifter
    What are the thoughts on scheduling a deload every 3 or 4 weeks while using the TM? As opposed to waiting until you start to stall.
    Last edited by StLRPh; 01-08-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Im sure there is no problem doing something like that. It may slow down your progress, but if it makes you feel comfortable and stronger then I say "do it!".
    Sarvamangalam!

Hey Zen I have been doing SS lifting Protocol for 4 months,first three on calorie deficit and then ate at maintenance for about a month and made some good strength gains the whole time. However I have started another calorie/carb wave deficit for about 45 days. Also I have started to add some cardio in to my off days (HIIT treadmill and Mountain Bike). Between the two there is no way I can continue to progress linearly as SS would want me too. I "think" a Texas Method protocol on the squats will be useful. I am going to back down the weight and then try to progress at 5 pounds a week. Also I don't wanna front squat so I was thinking about alternating 2X8 Squats@80% 5rm or Leg press 3X5 on my recovery day? What do you think of this idea? Or do you have another suggestion? At the end of the 45 days I am gonna go high carb for a week and then back on moderate carbs/maintenance for 45ish more days,so I know I am only gonna get a little stronger,but I wanna get my BF% under 20%. Do you think this is a sound plan? Do you have another one that does not involve eating over maintnance? Thanks in Advance.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Well, here is the protocol for stagnation (besides a deload)

Squat
    A/B

Front Squat
    B/A
    Deadlift

Squat
    A/B

Id try that first. Your idea is putting the cart before the horse, as it were. There would be no reason to have to load squats differently if it were not for your cardio, no? In that case, Id just do some SS cardio post WO (15 minutes) and get your diet squared away.

Were I in your shoes, Id stick with SS, do 15min SS cardio post WO, and orient my diet toward a carb cycle/recomp. You could also do a small amount of SS cardio on a couple of your off days, but not enough to hinder your progress in strength. (SS= Steady State = LISS = Low intensity steady state) Check out the sticky in the diet section entitled "Accurate Methods on Bulking"... which is relevant to cutting/recomp/and bulking.

If you are planning on bulking again you might also want to consider how your body will respond to a surplus while on SS. You might make another 2 months worth of gains on a bulk using SS, which, if you were on TM would be a waste of time.

Just some things to consider.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 01-08-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    yo Zen,

What are your opinions on working the recent pull-up routine into TM?

I've taken three weeks off over the holidays and I was easing up before that because of some injuries/hip issues. So from Monday I'm planning on doing a couple of weeks on a basic SS-type routine to get up to speed and then jumping into TM to hopefully reach some biggish numbers in a few months time. But I also really want to get 20 chins/15 pull-ups. Right now I'm at about 12/7.

I've also found I respond best to abbreviated routines which is why I like the look of Texas Method so I don't want to ruin it by adding in loads of extra volume. The problem is that routine requires a vertical pulling day and a horizontal pulling day so there's no easy way to mix them.

My plan is this:
    Monday
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press/Bench Press 5x5
    - Workout 1: Weighted chins

Wednesday
    Front Squat 3x3
    Bench Press/OHP 3x3
    Rows 3x3

Friday- All exercises taken to a single, double or triple
    Squat
    OHP/Bench Press
    Deadlift
    - Workout 2: 25 singles of Dumbell/Cable Rows

Its always going to be a bit awkward but does this look reasonable? I will alternate the overhead press and the bench press A/B/A/B because that's a weak point for me.

Yea man, that looks solid. Give it a try!

There is no end-all-be-all of the TM, you might find a better way to do it than the author of the routine, but it takes some precise experimentation, which seems exactly what you are doing. Good luck with that setup, it looks great!
    Sarvamangalam!

Thanks Zen I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I don't quite understand what this means.

Squat
    A/B

Front Squat
    B/A
    Deadlift

Squat
    A/B

Does that mean my A workout is squat,bench,PC
    and my B workout is Front Squat,OHP,Dead?

The thing about diet is that I am prob 6 months away from eating in a calorie surplus. I wanna get my weight down first.Even at th expense of muscle,I am just rtying to minimize my losses. I am not very strong for my weight,but I have made some really good gains. I am just too fat and have to fix that first.

I have read that article and think I undertand it,however I will read it again.

I may be just worried about nothing. I just could barely lift wed and think it was diet related. Maybe just a bad day? I am gonna lift later and see how I feel and go from there.

Thanks again
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

I mean an SS version but with the squat, DL, and front squat static.

Week A-

Squat
    Bench
    Clean
    Row

Front Squat
    OHP
    DL
    Pullups

Squat
    Bench
    Row

-------
    Week B-

Squat
    OHP
    Pullups
    Clean

Front Squat
    Bench
    DL
    Row

Squat
    OHP
    Pullups

Do you see what I mean?

In regards to your concerns... live in the NOW. Dont worry about the stagnation until it comes, enjoy the gains you have been making and just keep on keepin on. The only thing Id be concerned about now, is your metabolism. If you are going to cut for another 6 months, that will run your metabolism in the ground. I think youd be better off on a carb cycle/Recomp erring on the cutting side. Dont forget refeeds and nutritional needs on your cut! Good luck.
    Sarvamangalam!

Now I understand. I am gonna adapt that setup starting Monday. I like the way it lays out and I bet I will be able to deadlift more weight.

In regards to diet. I do at least two refeed meals a week. I pick and choose my foods to make sure my macro's are close.

Also I am not gonna cut for 6 months I am just gonna alternate between 4-5weeks of low cal,1 week of high cal and 3-4 weeks on maintenance and just repeating that cycle that til I hit weight/size goals. I think I can keep my metabolism going pretty good that way.That should be 3 cycles and hopefully 30ish pounds of bodyweight.

Another Quick question to anyone who kows : On the recovery day, for example the front squat and Overhead press, are you supposed to do them heavy? Or keep them light eg 80% of 5rm or somthing. And, is it cool to alternate between benching and Overhead, so for the week after i'd be doing Overhead twice?

Cheers.

Banned
    The recovery day is meant to be done light. There are no hard and fast rules for the exact weights to be used but the idea is just to get blood flowing into the muscles to aid recovery and a few reps to practice technique.

I'm going to use 10-15% less weight than Monday, and as I'll also be doing less volume I think that should be reasonable. I'm probably going to do some back extensions and mobility drills on that day too.

As Zen explains, the Texas Method is quite flexible, its a basic template that you can then tweak to your needs, so you pick the exercises that you want and decide yourself what feels too heavy or too light for the three days.

I am alternating OHP and bench because my pressing is my weak point so I want the extra work. I also wanted horizontal and vertical pressing work to balance and augment my pulling/chinning work. My routine is very shoulder/upper-body focussed because that's what I need. If you were more into the Olympic lifts you could include more front squatting. If your legs were weak you could work in Stiff-leg deadlifts or similar.

If you want to alternate bench and press too then go for it. By alternating the bench and the press, you essentially have one week that is bench focussed - you do volume and intensity work on bench and recovery on the press; and one week that is overhead focussed - you do volume and intensity on the press with recovery on the bench. This way you get to build on the work done on Monday by getting a heavy single, double or triple in the same exercise on Friday.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Yea man, that looks solid. Give it a try!

There is no end-all-be-all of the TM, you might find a better way to do it than the author of the routine, but it takes some precise experimentation, which seems exactly what you are doing. Good luck with that setup, it looks great!
    Cheers. I figure I know how to set up a routine and I know what I'm doing, but I've never used the Texas Method before. Its always good to get another opinion. I have high expectations for this now!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslin View Post
    Another Quick question to anyone who kows : On the recovery day, for example the front squat and Overhead press, are you supposed to do them heavy? Or keep them light eg 80% of 5rm or somthing. And, is it cool to alternate between benching and Overhead, so for the week after i'd be doing Overhead twice?

Cheers.
    Alternating Bench and OHP is fine.

The recovery front/OH squats can be as heavy as you work up to. Don't start out too heavy and progress weekly. The nature of a front squat and OH squat means you will never be able to load them like a back squat, so, I would go heavy enough to have a weekly challenge and progress, but light enough you keep form perfect.
    Sarvamangalam!