The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Texas Method

Well said. Now I just have to figure out my bodies recovery patterns. I see a whole lot of trail and error coming soon! Thanks a lot for your response and help. I'll continue our conversation via PM once I'm home and not at work.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

큰남자/Kun Namja
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    This is certainly possible although not with "UD2" I have done it. Here is what I did:

Mon------Volume ------High Cal and high Carb
    Tue-------HIIT -----------Low Cal and low carb
    Wed----- Recovery----Low cal and high carb
    Thu-------Off- ---------- high cal and low carb
    Fri---------Intensity ---- high cal and high carb
    Sat--------HIIT---------- low cal and low carb
    Sun------- Off----------- low cal and low carb

My suggestion is to do SS while on a carb-cycling cut then going to TM when you begin your bulk. SS will prime your body for what TM is about to dish out.
    So basically change the diet, not the training--that is what I was hoping to do when matching it with UD2. But, as you said, UD2 is complex, and it seems that there would be much more transitioning from the type of training that I'm doing now to what is prescribed for UD2.

I'm feeling out my macros now, but essentially I'm going to either plan a recomp (I say a recomp because if I made progress while cutting 2 lbs a week, a recomp cycle should also allow for forward progress), or a slow bulking cal/carb cycle.

What approximate percentages/calories were you over and under maintainence for your TM cycle?

I should have stayed with SS while cutting. I know that has been said somewhere in this thread or the SS one, but I shot myself in the foot by switching from a bulk on SS, to a cut on TM. I'm saying this, so people won't do what I did. However, I dieted pretty successfully on TM; I just didn't regain the strength that I lost transitioning for a long long time.

I varied my percentages in accordance with what I was doing that week, how much sleep I was getting, etc... The variance was mostly based on personal, subjective justification including feeling tired or sore.

I know you wanted a more concrete answer, but Im not sure I can give that to you. Start out conservative with the percentage difference and gradually get more precise!

Keep with it and it will become second nature.

Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    yo Zen,

What are your opinions on working the recent pull-up routine into TM?

I've taken three weeks off over the holidays and I was easing up before that because of some injuries/hip issues. So from Monday I'm planning on doing a couple of weeks on a basic SS-type routine to get up to speed and then jumping into TM to hopefully reach some biggish numbers in a few months time. But I also really want to get 20 chins/15 pull-ups. Right now I'm at about 12/7.

I've also found I respond best to abbreviated routines which is why I like the look of Texas Method so I don't want to ruin it by adding in loads of extra volume. The problem is that routine requires a vertical pulling day and a horizontal pulling day so there's no easy way to mix them.

My plan is this:
    Monday
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press/Bench Press 5x5
    - Workout 1: Weighted chins

Wednesday
    Front Squat 3x3
    Bench Press/OHP 3x3
    Rows 3x3

Friday- All exercises taken to a single, double or triple
    Squat
    OHP/Bench Press
    Deadlift
    - Workout 2: 25 singles of Dumbell/Cable Rows

Its always going to be a bit awkward but does this look reasonable? I will alternate the overhead press and the bench press A/B/A/B because that's a weak point for me.
    How did this end up working out for you? I notice you didn't stay with the Texas Method for long, but I'm curious if your pull-ups benefited from this routine. I'm considering a similar routine to work on my dead hang pull-up form.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

Quote Originally Posted by Decent View Post
    I'm curious if your pull-ups benefited from this routine.
    I'm not JC, but I hope you don't mind me giving my 2 cents...

I used that chin-up routine with good success, and I'm currently using it again to increase it further. My chin-ups went from 6RM to 11RM with a slight change to the program. I didn't have bands, so I just did weighted doubles for the last section. I highly recomend it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks for the reply. How did you incorporate it into your split? I tried here but I don't know how well chins and rows will work back to back, Friday then Monday.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

Looks fine to me.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I am going back to a full body routine using the texas method for a change of pace and I have one question. When using squats on recovery day shouldn't the weight used be 80% of the weight used on Volume day for 2x5? Not 80% of your 5RM?

Example:

Monday
    5x5 @ 200

Wednesday
    2x5 @ 160 (80% of Monday's weight)

Friday
    1x5 @ 250 (possible PR)

Maybe, Im not really sure. Recovery day doesnt matter so much... but, when in doubt go lighter.
    Sarvamangalam!

hi zenmonkey , is this a program for me ? i am a 114 kg raw powerlifter with a 260 kg squat / 160 kg bench / 280 kg deadlift (full meet) .
    in the past i run with westside for bench only and 5/3/1 on deads and squat with great results . i want to test something different for learning more about programming and my body . i know , i should not change , what is good for me ..but perhaps it could be better ...

is the texas-method a good solution for me ? should i modify things ? how is the program changing , when i am peeking for a PL-meet ?

thanks