Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Time+Patience Plus Consistency

**UPDATE**

I'm going to post 2 pictures from June 19th, it's been 18 or so days since the last pictures, so this is an update of what things look like currently. I've noticed my waist getting tighter, and I don't know if anyone else can tell, but my legs are leaning out a bit. I'd like to really hammer in some strong separation on my Quads. My vascularity is definitely up, I can see a lot of veins laying flat, and if I can get them to pull up a little more then my legs and back should look nasty by August.

I haven't been 100% with my diet, but I have a basic foundation of what I need to follow daily. I'm going to either up my cardio a bit or drop a few carbs by July 1st.

I'm going to go with a slight change in my routine, I'll be doing 10 reps minimum on everything, except Squats and Deads. I love the heavy weights so much but I've never given the higher reps a shot, so I need to Experiment with the higher reps.

Over the course of this next year, I am going to do a lot of "Experimenting" with my Diet and Routine. I believe I am to the point with my Exercising that I need to find what's right for me. I want to keep my workouts very consistent to see the progression from week to week. I'll switch things if it's necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    Good deal on getting those sprints in...like the way you varied those sets of bb rows.
    I noticed in your journal that you do your BB Rows in the Power Rack and claimed to have seen a big difference in your weights. I've been doing the Rows in a Rack for a while also, and it's easier to go heavier and do the Rest/Pause for when I do go heavy. I like it that way thus far.

I need to get more Sprints in every week, or some sort of cardio. I've been lacking on the cardio. I like Sprints and Plyo's as I believe they bring more definition out and I can't do cardio for 30+ minutes.

Great couple of shots, your quads are huge and defined.

For Father's Day I went to Hoggy's BBQ and they had a Father's Day Buffet and I couldn't resist, so I loaded up on Pork, Mac N Cheese, Baked Beans and Cakes. Then we all split a Snickers Blizzard... so by the time my workout came around it wasn't what I expected.

I started to try some heavy Squats and I felt I was going to throw up, so I lowered the weights and the intensity a bit....

Sunday June 21

Squats
    275 x 12/12/12/12/12

Leg Extensions
    85 x 15/15/15

Sissy Squats ** Superset w/Leg Ext.
    BW x 10/10/10

Overall it was a very subpar workout, but I should have known better with all of the heavy foods I ate earlier, but I wanted to get this in today, b/c there's a chance I don't get my workout in tomorrow, school starts back up for Summer Quarter.

I was cool with getting something in though, the lack of a good workout was worth a great Father's Day. I'm hoping my body responds well to this Wonderful/Horrible Cheat Day.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 06-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.

1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar
    looking very good my man, strong triceps and good cuts in the quads

interested to see how the high rep approach works out long term. i try to use higher reps in my assistance work

5 sets of 12 reps with 275 squats is very nice guy.

Monday June 22nd

Smith BB Military
    155 x 10/10/10

Flat BB
    175 x 15/15/15

Hang Cleans **S/Set w/Flat BB
    175 x 15/15/15

DB Side Raises
    40 x 9/9

DB Upright Rows ** S/Set w/Raises
    40 x 12/12

Cable Crossovers
    2 sets @ 40

I decided to try the Military Presses first and it made a difference in the feel on my bench. The switch to the higher reps had a big impact on my overall workout, and I was short on time, so I had to squeeze everything in at a much quicker pace, I was really sweating my ass off.

My tri's were fatiguing by the 10th reps, I'm sure they were still recovering from my Friday workout. I may need to throw in an extra day, but I'll wait another week or 2 and see how my body adjusts to the higher rep Scheme.

I am going against my Normal Training beliefs, but I'm ready to do some new stuff and see how things turn out, but I need a shock somewhere in my routine, and this is what I'm trying for now.

Powers...

I'm not sure how this higher rep situation is going to work out? I figured it's worth a try. In the past I rarely went over 6-8 reps, I look back and think I've been whimping out b/c I want to avoid the Lactic Acid buildup/pump you get from higher reps, what a chump I've been.

It's going to be hard to gauge how much of my results will be from training or diet, since both are being totally revamped, but we will see. I just know not many people endorse higher reps, so I'm gonna try it for myself and see if there's a reason others don't really endorse this rep scheme.

Coke...

I wasn't impressed with the Squats. But I think I'm going to have to stick with these higher reps, as it is more of a mental game going with the higher reps as oppossed to the higher weights. I used to do 20 Reppers with 315 a few years back... I may have to try some of those again to test my "mental".

On Tuesday and Wednesday mornings I have been getting up earlier to get in some HIIT. It felt great Tuesday and really good Wednesday. I get it done in less then 12-13 minutes, with at least 4-5 maxed out (12 MPH) on the treadmill for at least 30 seconds. I am going to try to get these in 3 times a week. I am getting up around 3:40 in the AM to get this in, so it's a little difficult, but I need to get something done. Once I get into the routine of HIIT, I'll probably switch up to doing straight Sprints outside, where I can get more speed.

On to my brutal but beauty of a workout...

Wednesday June 24th

BB Rows
    ** To Lower Chest
    175 x 15/15/15

BB Rows
    ** To Lower Abs
    205 x 12/12/12

SLDL
    315 x 6/5/5

Sumo Deadlifts
    405 x 1 ** Easy
    435 x 1/1/1/1 ** Solid
    455 x 1 **I could really feel my posterior chain working on this 1.

Leg Curls
    90 x 15/12/12

Pulldowns
    ** Close Grip
    125 x 22/25

This workout was great, nice redemption from my so-so Sunday Leg workout.

The SLDL's felt good, I should definitely get 6 reps for every set next week.

The Sumo's felt great also. I was happy with how "EASY" they felt. When I PL I use a Sumo stance. I've been wanting to do a few sets for a while to get a nice feel, and so far so good.

I like doing this higher volume for Back. I usually do about 8 sets or so. I'll probably lower the volume as I get further in my diet, but right now I feel great with doing this much Back work.

Arms tomorrow along with Abs and Calves.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    ... I used to do 20 Reppers with 315 a few years back...
    So that's why your legs have all that size, lol...like the way you're going at it dude.

Thursday June 25th

BB Curls
    90 x 12/12/12

Skull Crushers
    90 x 12/12/12

Concentration Curls
    30 x 12/12/12

Overhead Ext
    60 x 12/12/12

Lying DB Curls
    20 x 15/15

Rope Pushdowns
    50 x 15/15

Overall it was a solid workout. I'm not sure how these Bi and Tri workouts are feeling. I'm not getting the good muscle connection like I do for other bodyparts. I'll see how things play out.

Still hard at it i see bro! Good workouts and nice new pics! Im seeing good progress! Keep smashing those weights, lets see those 10 pages build up

Looks like a very solid arm day man.

Coke + Benno,

I'm still trying to figure out what I like best, I'm really going by a "how do I feel today?" type of workout. I'll find out in a few weeks, if it's overtraining, or producing solid results.

Saturday June 27th

Squats315 x 10/10/10/10/7/6/5/5/4/4

Leg Extentions ** Single Leg
    40 x 12/12/12

Sissy Squats **S/Set w/Leg EXT
    BW x 10/10

Damn was this a very interesting and mentally challenging workout. I think this is the workout I'm going to follow, maybe throwing in Leg Press, I always feel a great Quad muscle connection on Leg Presses.

The 315 x 10 sets is a big jump from the 5 sets at 275! But I knew that was a subpar workout last week. I was happy to get 315 x 10, but I had to rack it after 7 reps on the next 3 sets of 10.

I am looking to get all 10 sets with 10+ reps at 315 by the end of July.

I'm also working on Leg Extensions and the Sissy Squats to help with my Quad definition, and then I do slow Sissy Squats to get a good stretch where the Lex Ext. hit my Quads.

I'm still standing but I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Chest and Delts tomorrow, feeling good about things!
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 06-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Sunday 6/27

Military BB
    135 x 15/15/15

Flat BB
    175 x 11/10/10

Cleans
    225 x 5/5/5/5/5

Flat DB Flyes
    40 x 10/10/10/10

DB Side Raises
    40 x 12/12/12

Cable Crossovers
    40 x 20/20

DB Upright Rows
    55 x 8/8

I decided to switch a few things around, but I'm not sure if I truly like the Chest/Delts/Pushing movements all in one day. Chest day in general is a rather depressing day, as I've been using the same amount of weights for Chest for about 6 years, it's pretty friggin frustrating.

I'm just going to focus on getting my Chest and Delts very conditioned and take it from there.

This is one workout that I'll be tweaking often until I find something I really like... Maybe Compound movements for Delts one week, and light Chest, and then vice versa the next week... Compounds for Chest then light Delts.

Any thoughts or advice on the Chest/Delt workouts would be more than welcomed.

There are a number of ways to split the body up if you don't care for the push-pull-leg thing. Depending on the time you have during the week, the 5 day split works well and goes like this legs-chest-back-shoulders-arms...then you can go from there to create the 4 day split or whatever.

The leg day was killer, lol.
    Last edited by Coke; 06-28-2009 at 01:01 PM.

WOW, big difference from the old pics to the new ones! Good job!

I felt like complete Hell Monday, and still had a hangover from my odd illness Tuesday, so I postponed my workout until Wednesday.

Wednesday July 1

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
    205 x 15/15/15

SLDL
    315 x 6/6/6

Sumos
    405 x 1/1/1
    455 x 1/1

Lat Pulldowns
    2 sets x 20+ (120 LBS, I think)

Rear Delt Pulls
    3 Sets @ 75-90 LBS

I took a nap right before this workout and I felt a little stiff at first, mainly my back on the BB Rows, that's why I only did one version of the Rows.

My weight is down to around 204. I've lost about 4-5 pounds within the past 4-5 weeks, so my progression is right where it should be. I'm not used to progress this slow, but I'm sure I was losing a good amount of muscle along with fat in times past.

I believe my Calorie intake is where it should be to be losing fat without losing much muscle this time around. I have been following a High Protein, Low Carb, and Fill in the Fats type of diet, but I haven't been 100% with it, I'd say around 85%, but the progress is slow and steady. I'm looking to finally go sub 200 by August.

I'll follow this diet and this basic routine until August, then I might change things up, maybe just the routine, maybe my routine and diet. Again I'm trying to experiment.

If I do change my routine, I'll probably go with what Coke suggested, 1 muscle group a day, or to a 4 day split, which enables me to hit everything twice a week.

That is a big back day bro.

I felt like complete Hell Monday, and still had a hangover from my odd illness Tuesday, so I postponed my workout until Wednesday.

Wednesday July 1

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
    205 x 15/15/15

SLDL
    315 x 6/6/6

Sumos
    405 x 1/1/1
    455 x 1/1

Lat Pulldowns
    2 sets x 20+ (120 LBS, I think)

Rear Delt Pulls
    3 Sets @ 75-90 LBS

I took a nap right before this workout and I felt a little stiff at first, mainly my back on the BB Rows, that's why I only did one version of the Rows.

My weight is down to around 204. I've lost about 4-5 pounds within the past 4-5 weeks, so my progression is right where it should be. I'm not used to progress this slow, but I'm sure I was losing a good amount of muscle along with fat in times past.

I believe my Calorie intake is where it should be to be losing fat without losing much muscle this time around. I have been following a High Protein, Low Carb, and Fill in the Fats type of diet, but I haven't been 100% with it, I'd say around 85%, but the progress is slow and steady. I'm looking to finally go sub 200 by August.

I'll follow this diet and this basic routine until August, then I might change things up, maybe just the routine, maybe my routine and diet. Again I'm trying to experiment.

If I do change my routine, I'll probably go with what Coke suggested, 1 muscle group a day, or to a 4 day split, which enables me to hit everything twice a week.
    Really strong back workout! Nice stuff man.

I haven't slacked off, I'm just playing catch up.

My son's birthday was the 4th of July. I was out of town visiting family, and I went off of my diet a bit and I didn't feel like breaking away to get my workouts in, so I just pushed everything back a few days and enjoyed the rest.

I definitely Carb loaded over the weekend, and my weight jumped up a few pounds, but I'm already back to normal about 202 right now.

Thursday July 2nd

BB Curls
    90 x 10/10/10

Skulls
    90 x 10/10/10

BB Overhead Ext
    60 x 8/10/8

Concentration DB Curls
    30 x 10/8/8

Rope Pushdowns
    50 x 12/12/

Rope Curls
    50 x 15/15

** Solid workout, actually one of my better Arm workouts.

Tuesday July 7th

Squats
    135 x 20
    225 x 12
    275 x 10
    315 x 6/6/6/4/4

Leg Ext **Single Leg
    30 x 12/12/12

Sissy Squats ** Held stretch at bottom
    BW x 10/10/10

* I'm trying to keep my Squat stance narrow w/my feet straight ahead. I can feel it in my outter Quad and top half of my Quads, up to my hips.

** I'm really feeling these workouts directly in my Quads with a little lower back. Going as planned.

Wednesday July 8th

Smith Flat BB
    185 x 9/10/10/10

Decline DB Fly
    40 x 8/10/10

Incline DB Press
    60 x 12/11/11

Side DB Raises
    20 x 15/15/15

Cleans
    185 x 5/5/5

* With the small tweak in my workout I felt this directly in my Lower & Outter Chest, which is my focus.

** I'm changing up the workout for this day. I'm doing 1-2 Light Delts movements. I'll do some Shoulder Presses before I start my Arm workouts.

So far things are looking pretty good. I was getting to caught up in my weights, now I'm trying to focus solely on feel. I'll continue to lift by "feel", I'm more or less putting the most focus on my Diet.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 07-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Nice job those few sessions dude.

I need to write my routine down in my Lifting Log for Back days. I keep forgetting that it's also a Hamstring Heavy day, so I keep forgetting to do the Leg Curls, which I loved for the 1 or 2 workouts I remembered to do them.

Friday July 10th

BB Rows **To lower Chest
    175 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
    185 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

SLDL
    315 x 6/6/6 **Finally got these SOB's for 3x6!!!

Sumo's
    405 x 1/1/1/1/1

WG Pulldowns
    135 x 12 **Dropset

A solid workout. I can usually get a very good workout on Back days and Leg days. I need to get my Chest and Arm days up to par.

I will probably do the Sumo's on alternating weeks, so I'm not doing many Deads.

Relentless work for the back and hams, props.

I need to write my routine down in my Lifting Log for Back days. I keep forgetting that it's also a Hamstring Heavy day, so I keep forgetting to do the Leg Curls, which I loved for the 1 or 2 workouts I remembered to do them.

Friday July 10th

BB Rows **To lower Chest
    175 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

BB Rows ** To lower Abs
    185 x 12/12/12 * Dropped to 135

SLDL
    315 x 6/6/6 **Finally got these SOB's for 3x6!!!

Sumo's
    405 x 1/1/1/1/1

WG Pulldowns
    135 x 12 **Dropset

A solid workout. I can usually get a very good workout on Back days and Leg days. I need to get my Chest and Arm days up to par.

I will probably do the Sumo's on alternating weeks, so I'm not doing many Deads.
    Great lifts on the sumos and SLDL's! I replaced Sumos for my SLDL 5x5. Something different, i must say i like them. Ive got them again tomorrow! Good work keep up the hard yakka.
    Last edited by benno; 07-24-2009 at 03:42 AM.