Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Time+Patience Plus Consistency

Coke/ Benno/ Luna:

Thanks fellas, I'm trying to keep up with the consistency, I think of what could have been if it wasn't for that 4-5 week rough stretch. I would definitely be where I wanted to be right now.

I see you're getting some Back Benno!!! Keep it up.

On a side note, I've added up my daily numbers, and I'm getting in no more than 2,500 calories. I'm still trying to see if that's my ideal weight loss calorie count.

The 35 pounds I've lost hasn't all been fat, as I know I've lost a considerable amount of muscle.

I've been doing sprints 3 times a week, at the least. While I'll try to do extended cardio here and there, I love sprinting!

Sunday Sep. 20th

BB Rows
    205 x 15
    185 x 6 + 5 Negatives

Deadlifts
    Conventional
    275 x 3/3/3

Sumo's
    275 x 3/3/3

BB Curls
    90 x 19 + 5 negatives

1 Arm Cable Pulldowns
    15 x 15/15

1 Arm Cable Curls
    15 x 15/15

* The 205 on BB Rows wasn't that great, I have noticed my strength dip on these.

** I felt like doing some DE Deads, and the weight felt good. The Sumo's felt better than conventional; I have always been a Sumo Lifter.

*** The 1 Arm Pulldowns were great, I felt them right in the meat of the Lats.
    Good workout overall, and I'm still hammering away at the Bi's

Tuesday Sep. 22nd
    Incline DB Press
    75 x 16

Side DB Raises
    35 x 25

Incline DB Flyes
    35 x 17

Overhead BB Ext
    60 x 16

* The Incline Presses felt great, as did the Side DB Raises; I surprised myself with 25 reps, even with the Rest-Pause method.

** The Overhead BB Ext's felt much better than using the DB's, I can get a better stretch and feel in my Tri's.

*** I had to go with a quicker workout today, as I have a Scholarship Interview session later, thus no Negatives, but it might be bad doing negatives every workout, so I may skip the negatives here and there.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 09-22-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Good luck at the Scholarship Interview session later...those efforts are looking damn good bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Coke/ Benno/ Luna:

Thanks fellas, I'm trying to keep up with the consistency, I think of what could have been if it wasn't for that 4-5 week rough stretch. I would definitely be where I wanted to be right now.

I see you're getting some Back Benno!!! Keep it up.

On a side note, I've added up my daily numbers, and I'm getting in no more than 2,500 calories. I'm still trying to see if that's my ideal weight loss calorie count.

The 35 pounds I've lost hasn't all been fat, as I know I've lost a considerable amount of muscle.

I've been doing sprints 3 times a week, at the least. While I'll try to do extended cardio here and there, I love sprinting!

Sunday Sep. 20th

BB Rows
    205 x 15
    185 x 6 + 5 Negatives

Deadlifts
    Conventional
    275 x 3/3/3

Sumo's
    275 x 3/3/3

BB Curls
    90 x 19 + 5 negatives

1 Arm Cable Pulldowns
    15 x 15/15

1 Arm Cable Curls
    15 x 15/15

* The 205 on BB Rows wasn't that great, I have noticed my strength dip on these.

** I felt like doing some DE Deads, and the weight felt good. The Sumo's felt better than conventional; I have always been a Sumo Lifter.

*** The 1 Arm Pulldowns were great, I felt them right in the meat of the Lats.
    Good workout overall, and I'm still hammering away at the Bi's

Tuesday Sep. 22nd
    Incline DB Press
    75 x 16

Side DB Raises
    35 x 25

Incline DB Flyes
    35 x 17

Overhead BB Ext
    60 x 16

* The Incline Presses felt great, as did the Side DB Raises; I surprised myself with 25 reps, even with the Rest-Pause method.

** The Overhead BB Ext's felt much better than using the DB's, I can get a better stretch and feel in my Tri's.

*** I had to go with a quicker workout today, as I have a Scholarship Interview session later, thus no Negatives, but it might be bad doing negatives every workout, so I may skip the negatives here and there.
    Thanks mate - slowly getting there!

BB Rows 205 @ 15 reps is still pretty impressive mate! Keep up with the hard work. Are u leaning up for any reason? You plan on competing?

Also best of luck with the interview.

Banned
    Echoing the praise for the 205 x 15 BB rows. Wow!

You are looking pretty lean my dude. Just shrinking the size down using a program such as IRFANVIEW (free) will make em less blurry.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Thanks mate - slowly getting there!

BB Rows 205 @ 15 reps is still pretty impressive mate! Keep up with the hard work. Are u leaning up for any reason? You plan on competing?

Also best of luck with the interview.
    The Scholarship interview went well, it was actually more a banquet and I was just a spokesperson for this new scholarship The University of Cincinnati just started which focuses on Education majors within Science and Math.

Benno,

I am trying to just lean out to see how competition ready I would look, and I would like to find my true weaknesses. In essence I am trying to diet like I am competing, but I'm not 100% consistent or strict yet, but I'm finding where my weak points are.

I would actually like to do a competition or 2 next year, there are a couple in the Fall season in Ohio, so I would like to have a clear competition in mind, which should help keep my focus even stronger.

Thursday Sep. 24th
    Romanian DL's
    215 x 20
    235 x 26

BB Lunges
    95 x 15/20/20

Sissy Squats
    ** Superset w/Lunges
    BW x 12/12/12

Calf Raises
    230 x 20/20/20/20

Leg Extension
    55 x 20
    40 x 10
    25 x 20/25
    **1 Leg at a time

** I used 25's on the Romanian DL's to get a longer Range of Motion. These did have a different feel than SLDL's. I felt it in my Hamstrings more at the beginning.

** I decided to focus more on my Hamstrings this workout, with detail Quad work, as my Hamstrings are lagging behind. Also with the drop in my bodyweight, I feel it's time to add some detail work, and I really want to get those deep cuts, and perhaps a few striations in my Quads.

** I do work my Calves regularly, I just never keep track of them, as somedays I just do them as a separate workout and just hammer out some reps. I plan on keeping better track of Calf work though.

I am going to try and get some more extended cardio in, or at least some form of cardio 4-5 X's a week.

My weight is hovering around 179-182. By November I should definitely be hovering around 175, which would put me at a very lean look.

Over the next few weeks, I will probably go with a higher rep routine, with more isolation movements, as I lean out more and more, I'd like to try stretching and contracting each muscle group. And honestly I've never been this lean, so I'd like to see how the higher reps work out at this point. Always have to experiment.

I will make a note for those that are looking for a new routine to try on for size, I really enjoyed the one I have been doing, but I believe it would have been even better if I was on a higher calorie diet. If you have any questions about my version of HIT training, just ask, I do recommend trying something similar to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    You are looking pretty lean my dude. Just shrinking the size down using a program such as IRFANVIEW (free) will make em less blurry.

Thanks for the picture advice....

After following your journal and seeing your progress, it has inspired me to finally jump into a BBing competition, which I've wanted to do since I was a teen.

I'm thinking of doing one in a year from now. I'll have to pick your brain sometime about a few things in the future.

I'm still following Paul, keep it up.

I think that's the first time I've seen sissy squats mentioned outside of a magazine

I like the hamstring focus...that's something that many guys forget to do.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I think that's the first time I've seen sissy squats mentioned outside of a magazine

I like the hamstring focus...that's something that many guys forget to do.
    Exactly - Real good point here.

Great to see your looking to step on stage, im sure u could put a good show if your consistant. Im looking to do one next year aswell - drive each other
    Plenty of work to be done though, eating less and consistantly eating better foods will be my hardest thing. Im starting a push/pull/leg routine next week, my hips are getting too beat up from squats - so hopefully this change with bit more volume will give me results.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by benno View Post
    Exactly - Real good point here.

Great to see your looking to step on stage, im sure u could put a good show if your consistant. Im looking to do one next year aswell - drive each other
    Plenty of work to be done though, eating less and consistantly eating better foods will be my hardest thing. Im starting a push/pull/leg routine next week, my hips are getting too beat up from squats - so hopefully this change with bit more volume will give me results.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks Benno.

I need to be consistent, but it sucks to say I have to take a week off or so. I won't completely shut everything down, but a few things are happening and money is tight, so it throws my whole diet off track, and I just can't get a good diet down, so I'm just winging it for the next 7-10 days until things pick up.

My last 2 workouts have been absolute crap also. I'm going to try and stick with some cardio to burn off the carbs that I'll be eatting, as that's all we basically have to eat.

I'll be back and rolling within 2 weeks I believe. I'll go about 4-6 more weeks of strict dieting, and then I'm going to do a clean bulk, I won't go as extreme as I did last year. I think 200 will be my cut off weight.

I'll update when I get back into the swing of things.

I still wanna see progress in other journals fellas!

I'm back and I'm ready to get into things...

Bodybuilding

I am going to enter into a BBing contest in 2010. There are a wide variety to choose from, but I am going to enter one in the latter part of the year. This will allow me to work on my weak areas for about 6-8 months, which will enable me to go through a few training cycles.

There are a handful of contests within Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania. I know of a couple in Ohio that I can enter within that time period. I'm also going to be in New York around August/September, so I'd like to find a contest out there and make the trip more worthwhile. (Unholy, if you are going to compete later next year, let me know where to go in New York, maybe we could both enter into a comp.)

Powerlifting

I also intend on entering into a PLing competition. I'll enter one within the later Winter months, assuming my strength comes to fruition. I used to be able to handle some big weights when I competed in NASA when I was 18-19. I believe some PLing routines, cycled in over the next few months, would do some wonders for me also. I remember the difference in muscle thickness and density when I first began PLing.

Training

I am going to return to the style of routine that I was doing 2 months ago (the one that I was really fond of). It was very similar to DC (Doggcrapp) Training, and even FST-7 I guess, but I have read up more on DC Training and I'm going to give that a shot, in it's actual form.

I am going to post up what type of lifting cycle I plan to follow, but I know it's a M-W-F split. That'll be up later.

** I plan on doing some cardio on the mornings that I don't lift. I hate how out of shape I was last year, due to never running or anything that resembled it (I felt like Jabba The Hut when I first started running again). The cardio should also help burn, as well as limit, fat.

Nutrition

As for what I shall be eatting, I won't change it much from what I was doing during my diet. I'll still follow the basic plan of eatting protein and fats each meal. I'll be adding more carbs to increase my calories, but I'll only add them around workout times, or high activity times.

I'll be doing a clean bulk. I'll log what I eat for a few days, and see where my calories are at. I assume 3,500 will be ideal, as I burn a lot of calories walking around campus.

Supplementation

I'll be taking ALN's Nitrean and Results, someglutamine, and BCAA's. 2 servings of Results adds about 600 extra calories, which is why I'm not changing my diet up much.

I don't want to gain to much bodyfat, so I'll be watching myself more closely. Depending on muscle gains, I intend to not surpass a bodyweight of 205. I would assume 180 would be my ideal competition weight, assuming I am able to add a good deal of muscle over the next few months.

I plan on hitting the weights hard. I've always known how to eat, and I've learned more about my body, but I've never been consistent with my training, so it's time to take the reins and drive this thing hard.

Here goes to testing new waters!
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 10-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Like that effort bro, good luck in future competitions.

Here is what my DC Routine will look like.

Workout A

Chest
    /\ Delts
    Inc. DB Press /\ Side DB Raises
    Flat BB Press /\ Military BNP
    Wide Inc. BB Press /\ Military DB Press

Tri's /\ Back Width
    Cable Pushdowns /\ Pulldowns
    Overhead BB Ext. /\ Pullups
    Skull Crushers /\ V-Handle Pulldowns

Back Thickness
    T-Bar Rows
    BB Rows
    Rack Deads

Workout B

Bi's
    /\ Forearms/Brach's
    Cable Curls /\ Reverse Cable Curls
    Inc. DB Curls /\ DB Hammer Curls
    BB Curls /\ Rope Curls

Ham's /\ Quads
    SLDL /\ Leg Press- High Stance
    HS Seated Curls /\ Squats
    Lying Leg Curls /\ PLing Squats OR Hack Squats

Calves
    Calve Leg Press
    Calve Sled
    Calve Machine

Here's a brief outline of DC Training- it's a 2 day split, A and B workouts, done on a M-W-F split (W/in 2 weeks you hit every muscle group 3 x's on an ABA BAB sequece.)

You do 1 exercise for 1 set to failure. You utilize the Rest-Pause method (2 short breaks within the set, going to failure again both times). After your set you do an extended stretch, up to 60-90 seconds. For Legs and Back Thickness exercises you only do 4-8 reps. It states to do 1x20 on the Quad exercise, but I'm doing it for Back Thickness also.

You are suppossed to up the weights or reps every time you do that exercise again.

Here are what my first 2 workouts looked like.

Monday October 26th - Workout A-1

Incline DB Press
    75x10-3-3 45 second stretch

Side DB Raises
    40x10-5-5 60 second stretch

Cable Pushdowns
    85x11-4-4 45 second stretch

Pullups- Wide
    155x6-4-4 35 second stretch

T-Bar Rows
    170x5-4 100 x 17 60 second stretch

** I like the speed of this routine. I also like how my intensity is able to hold up for the whole workout.

Wednesday October 28th - Workout B-1

Cable Curls
    120x13-5-6

Reverse Cable Curls
    120x10-4-4

SLDL
    255x11-5-6-3

Leg Press- High Stance
    800x8 30 second stretch 675x20 30 second stretch

Calve Leg Press Raises
    405x8-4-3 10 second stretch at the bottom of each rep

** This was another good workout. I think I'm a fan of the HIT and Low Volume style of training. I like to get to the gym for short but frequent workouts, and that's what I'm able to do with this routine.

This is different from what I had done, but I'm loving this routine. Now I'm up at 5 am on my workout days and working out at 6 am, and I'm done within 1 hour after warming up. It's quick, which I love. I'm looking forward to getting to these exercises again to see how much heavier I can go.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 10-28-2009 at 06:45 AM.

I also like short intense workouts. You can really keep your mind on what you are doing. Good luck with the DC routine, I've heard great things about it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Nice job for both days dude.

Friday October 30th

Flat BB Press

185x6-3-3 60 Sec Hold

Smith BN Military
    145x5-3-3-2 60 Sec Hold

Overhead BB Ext
    70x7-3-3 60 Sec Hold

Cybex Pulldowns
    190x7-3-3-2 60 Sec Hold

BB Rows- Underhand
    205x5-2 135x10-5-5 60 Sec Hold

** Again, short and sweet. I really loved the Cybex Pulldown machine, I could manipulate that machine to hit a few different areas within my back. That will definitely be my go to exercise when I start cutting again. I hate Flat BB Bench, but I need to get back into it if I'm going to enter a PLing competition again.

This workout didn't have the same feel as the last 2, maybe it was because I was lifting on campus?
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 11-04-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    This workout didn't have the same feel as the last 2, maybe it was because I was lifting on campus?
    No doubt about it, the enviroment you lift in matters in a big way..fine training man.

Monday Nov. 2nd (On Campus)

Incline DB Curls

35x10-5-5 60 Sec. Hold

DB Hammer Curls
    50x6-4-3 60 Sec. Hold

HS Seated Leg Curl
    100x9-5-3 60 Sec. Hold

Squats (PLing Style)
    365x3-1 60 Sec. Hold
    245x11-5-4 60 Sec. Hold

Calve Machine Raise
    170x10-5

** I was happy with the Squats, but the bar was rather slick, so I had to re-rack and re-adjust the bar a few times. I had a great "groove" on them, I've never had one before when I was PLing; maybe more lifting experience has helped me better "feel" the Squats. I'm going to make sure to keep the bar on my back for my Friday Squats, and get my 20 reps straight (I'm sure I subconsciously whimped out this set of 20's).

** I love the Hammer Strength Leg Curls- just love em.

** I really liked doing the DB Incline Curls, these really hit my Bi's good, which I need a lot of work on.

*** Great workout overall, even though on Campus.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 11-04-2009 at 06:54 AM.

It would be sweet if we had the HS leg curl machine at our gym...that's a good workout bro.

Coke,

I just started doing these at my school within the past few months and they are great! Lying Leg Curls get old, and you don't get the same feel as with the HS.

Wednesday Nov. 4th

DB Military Press

65x9-5-4 60 Sec. Stretch

Flat DB Press
    85x6-3-3 60 Sec. Stretch

Pullups
    BWx9-4-3 60 Sec. Stretch

Skull Crushers
    90x4-3-2-1-1 60 Sec. Stretch

T-bar- Wide Grip
    160x6 60 Sec. Stretch
    90x20

** I'll be varying my workouts between gyms so I can utilize specific pieces of equipment. I'm training at 3 different places now to get it in, but I can get away with 2. I like the variety at times.

** The Military and Flat DB Presses felt great, and I was happy with the weights used, I'd definitely like to get over 100's on Flat and 80's on Military.

** I started with 2 much weight on the Skulls, but I'll just need to hammer more reps out next time around.

** The day after, and I'm feeling it everywhere. I'll say I'm surprised how well this routine hits each muscle group with 1 set. I like this Low Volume Higher Frequency a great deal.

Do you pay fees for 3 different places?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Off Road,

No I don't pay for 3 different places, I work at Urban Active which has a few branches which I'll train at, and then I pay my University of Cincinnati campus fee's, so I try to utilize the Rec Center there since I live less than 1 mile from there, but it's not open as early, and I just don't like it as much.

I may have to switch a few things around with which exercises I do on specific days, so I can make sure I'm at a specific gym so I can use the various equipment that I need.

Friday November 6th

BB Curls

90x7-4-3

Reverse BB Curls
    65x10-5-4

Sumo SLDL
    315x7-3-3

Seated Calve Raises
    90x10-3-2

Lying Leg Curls (Toes Pointed 1/2 ROM)
    130x12

Squats (BBing)
    315x5
    225x15-5

** I'm getting at least a 60 second stretch after every set, which is rather tough, thus I won't be listing that every workout.

** I was in a great mental state for this workout, I just came off a high of Ace-ing my Math test. I took an energy pill and had an apple, so my energy was through the roof.

** The Sumo SLDL's were great. I really loved these, but they are tricky as the form needs to be perfect to avoid any injuries.

** The Sumo SLDL's and the high energy came back to bite me during Squats. When I went for the 225x20 set, my legs were absolutely shaking under the bar once I got into the teens. So I had to re-rack again and finish the set. My legs were absolutely tight after I did my Quad stretch.

L-O-V-I-N-G this routine!!!

Nice squatting. Question, why do you do the SLDL before squatting? I always do them after squatting, that way my back is fresh for squatting and my legs aren't an issue with the deads. Just curious. I love any routine with high rep squats
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Interesting, you work at Urban Active in Cincinnati and attend the University down there - there are a couple of Urban Active locations here in town (Toledo).

Workouts are ace, keeping yourself on the mark.
    Last edited by Coke; 11-07-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Off Road,
    On this routine it stated to do your Quad dominant exercise last in the workout, so that's why I'm trying it this way. On the other hand it allows me to hit my hamstrings hard, which I do need. I don't go all out on the Squats like I do with the other sets; it's just one set 4-8 reps, then dropping down for a set of 20.

Coke,
    There are a few Urban Active's spread around the midwest; it's large in Cincy and Northern Kentucky, but it looks to be going out of business soon, that would be my guess.

Monday November 9th

Behind Neck Press (Smith)

155x10-5-4

Incline DB Press
    80x7-4-3

Cable Pulldowns
    180x9-5-5

Calbe Pushdowns
    90x10-4-4

T-Bar Rows
    170x8
    100x21

** I have to make sure I do any Smith Machine workouts anywhere but at campus, their machine has a bad drag to it, that's why that first workout there sucked.
    ** I was happy with my Presses. I'll definitely be happy to be doing 85's on the Incline, and possibly 185 on the Behind the Neck's.
    ** I definitely upped my weight on the Pulldowns. I rarely do Pulldowns, but that's probably the reasoning for my Lat width shrinking.
    ** I always love T-Bar Rows, and I'll always do them. It's nice not trying to diet, thus being able to handle some heavier weights.