The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Off Road,
    On this routine it stated to do your Quad dominant exercise last in the workout, so that's why I'm trying it this way. On the other hand it allows me to hit my hamstrings hard, which I do need. I don't go all out on the Squats like I do with the other sets; it's just one set 4-8 reps, then dropping down for a set of 20.
    Sounds good. I like doing a heavy set followed by a set of 20 too. Good conditioning.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Coke, There are a few Urban Active's spread around the midwest; it's large in Cincy and Northern Kentucky, but it looks to be going out of business soon, that would be my guess.
    The one just opened here and the other has been here a couple of years...can you elaborate on why they may be possibly closing shop.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    The one just opened here and the other has been here a couple of years...can you elaborate on why they may be possibly closing shop.
    Well here's a rundown, within about half of the gyms in the area (5-6), in one day when the sign was posted they cut half of the Group classes and cut the Childcare hours from about 30 per week down to 10 per week. Which had a number of members bitching at me, the minimum wage paid employee (I still don't understand why people do this). While they also cut the hours of the gym.

Then about a month later, they cut out the Childcare and Group classes completely, also effectively immediately after they posted a sign.

I'm not a business economist, but when I've seen moves like these within other businesses, they were usually desperation moves which eventually led to being bought out or closing.

I'm not sure, but it could actually be a well thought out business decision, but I'll say I wouldn't believe that myself.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Wednesday November 11th

Cable Curls

85x8-5-4

Rope Cable Curls
    72.5x9-5-4

SLDL
    295x9-5-4

Leg Press
    800x8
    675x7 630x5 585x8 **1 complete set.

Calve Leg Press Raises
    425x10-5

** I went to workout at a closer Urban Active branch, and the Leg Press was different, and they didn't have the right attachment for reverse cable curls (I can't use that short straight bar). I will just need to keep my workouts at the same branches, so I can see how my weights are progressing.

** I placed my feet high on my last time doing Leg Presses, and I like them a lot, but I couldn't get the same feel on these Leg Presses, and I had a bad pull in my back, so it sucked. I just couldn't get a feel for this Leg Press.

** I was happy to see my SLDL go up 40 pounds!

** I'm going to go back to where I work for this particular workout, to keep better track of my progress.

Friday November 13th

Flat BB Press

195x8-3-3

Side DB Raises
    45x8-4-4

Overhead BB Ext.
    70x10-4-3

Cybex Pulldowns
    205x7-3-2

BB Rows- Underhand
    215x8
    145x20

** Very solid workout overall, at campus.

** Still disappointed w/my Flat BB Press strength, but it's moving up. My chest has dropped in thickness considerably from what it used to be, probably the lack of PLing based routines.

** I cheat a little on the Side DB Raises, but I'm feeling them today. I may have to incorporate more heavy Side DB Raises to see what they do for my Delt's.

** The back exercises felt better and stronger than last time around. I realized I don't do much as in Pulldown exercises, which I need to incorporate more.

After 3 weeks of this routine, still LOVING it. After this routine, I might work in a PLing routine to get my overall strength up, and I do love my heavy Deads and Squats, and I could use the increase on my Pressing.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 11-14-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Doing fine, way to stay on the move in here.

Monday November 16th

Incline DB Curls

40x10-4-3

DB Hammer Curls
    50x9-4-4

Seated HS Leg Curls
    115x8-4-4

Machine Calve Raises
    10x10-8-6

Squats- PLing
    385x2-1
    255x16-4-3-2

** I was really squeezing this workout in for the day. I was wearing a wife beater, so the bar was really slipping off of my back, especially during the 255 set. I jumped to 385 from 365, the previous workout, which was probably to high of a jump for this workout.

** The Hammer Curls felt much better and stronger than the last workout.

**The Seated HS Leg Curls felt really good also. I'll definitely keep a lot of focus on my Hamstrings from here out.

Wednesday November 18th

Military DB Press

70x6-3-2

Pullups
    BWx13-5-3

Flat DB Press
    85x6-4-3-2-1

BB Skull Crushers
    90x7-2-2-2

T-Bar Rows (Medium grip)
    175x7
    105x20-5

** The DB Military set was very tough, but it felt "just right". I was disappointed with the Flat DB Press, I was hoping to get a few more reps.

** The Skull's felt much better this time around. I'll stay with the same weight next time, but shoot for more weight.

** The T-Bar Rows felt great! I think I'm really starting to master these. I'm almost to 4 plates, and there is some upper body movement, but no swinging.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 11-18-2009 at 07:34 AM.

Good effort(s) bro, nice numbers.

Good squatting...I almost missed it amongst all that iso work
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Friday November 20th

BB Curls
    95x10-4-4

Reverse BB Curls
    75x10-4-2

Sumo SLDL **Smith
    355x6-4-3-1

Seated Calve Raises
    115x12-5

BBing Squats
    315x8
    245x16-4

** The Reverse BB Curls are hard to go heavy on, so I'm using wraps on these, but I love the feel of them. I was happy with the BB Curls, I'll be hitting 100 next workout. I'm noticing the difference in my Bi's altogether

** The Squat Racks are always occupied at campus, for instance people doing Upright rows with 5's on each side. So I decided to just use the Smith machine, which I almost had to do the week before, but I'm just gonna stick with the Smith Sumo's from here out. The bar itself is thicker, so it's harder to grip, and the bar wants to rotate back into the locking position, so I have to get comfortable with these. Overall, I like them better than Sumo SLDL off of the floor.

** I upped the reps on the Squats. I really wanted to hammer out 10, but my back was beginning to round so I stopped the set. The same thing began to happen on the 20 rep set, so I had to re-rack and finish it off.

Thus far, I'm able to see some improvements, my legs looked very thick and full this morning. I'll probably go through 2 more rounds, which will be 4 more weeks, and I'm thinking of getting back onto a PLing routine to build that added thickness.

Not sure what type of PLing I'd try, I'll have to go to the drawing board and do some searching and reading.

Good workout, especially the squatting.

As far as power lifting routines, with your numbers, I'd definately think you could do very well with Wendler's 5/3/1 method. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, simple and effective.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Glad to hear you've put on more leg size guy.

Reverse curls are great for the bicep-forearm tie-in...solid session overall.
    Last edited by Coke; 11-21-2009 at 08:41 AM.

Good stuff in here man. From your avitar, you're startin to look pretty big and ripped. What's your diet like? (I always ask everyone that question, I dunno why)
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Good stuff in here man. From your avitar, you're startin to look pretty big and ripped. What's your diet like? (I always ask everyone that question, I dunno why)

When I was dieting I was following a diet more along the lines of the Low Carb/Med-High Protein and Fat.

It worked great, and I saw some results quickly within the first 3 weeks. I was sidetracked a little bit. But overall the diet worked well, I tried to manipulate a lot of things.

I'd say overall I was getting 250 grams of protein in, no more than 50-100 carbs daily, then I tried to get about 100 grams of fat. I was around 2,400 calories roughly then. I made sure I had some days where I added some extra carbs, but I never really felt carb or energy depleted throughout, and I had limited carb up days.

Right now my diet isn't drastically different, I limit my carb side dishes. I need to get back on eatting my veggies. My biggest change is using ALN's Results, which adds a good 600 calories a day, so I didn't change a great deal in my diet. My weight has gone up about 5-6 pounds in the past 6 weeks or so. I've stayed rather lean throughout.

Monday November 23, 2009

Military BNP (Smith)

185x5-3-2-2

Pulldowns
    195x6-4-4

Incline DB Press
    85x7-4-4

Pushdowns
    95x7-3-2

T-Bar Rows
    185x5
    115x10-5-5

** This was another great workout to add to the list.

** I made a big jump on the Military BNP; I just decided to up it, and I jumped up 30 pounds from my last workout, but I didnt rep it as much, but still 30 pounds!! Ill stay at 185 for the next workout.

** My Incline DBs surprised me also, I was able to up it from 80s and get 1 more rep in total. Not sure if Ill jump to the 90s next workout?

** Ive really been neglecting my back of Pulldowns, I had not done them for months until this routine. After a few more months, I should definitely see some better width, and I already am. And Im also hoping to see some added thickness to my back via the heavy T-Bar Rows.

Super session, it is great seeing you raise up that way.

Wednesday November 25th

Cable Curls

145x10-5-4

Reverse Cable Curls
    130x11-5-4

SLDL
    335x5-3-2

Leg Pres
    865x10
    725x20

Calve Leg Press
    455x12-5-5

** I went back to the gym where I did this first workout at. The numbers are much higher compared to the workout on October 28th.

** The biggest difference was on the Leg Press. I was able to get back to the high stance with no dis-comfort. Comparing the weights I upped it 65 pounds for the 10 reps, and 50 pounds for the 20 reps. I was stoked with how I was really grinding these reps out. They felt damn good.

** I felt like pushing it on the SLDL's and I jumped up another 40 pounds from the previous workout. They were tough, but I'd rather do less reps on these as I know I'll round my back the higher the reps.

** I'm also happy with the increases on the 2 sets of Curls.

All I can say is DAMN!! Things are going well right now. My strength is increasing and I'm still feeling refreshed on every workout. I'll take some pictures after 3 more weeks of it, and hopefully the difference can be seen.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 11-25-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Big time Stiff Legged Deads. I'm still afraid to go that heavy, but I'm getting more brave about it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Big time Stiff Legged Deads. I'm still afraid to go that heavy, but I'm getting more brave about it.
    I've changed my approach to the SLDL's. I don't go for the ultimate stretch like I used to, but I make sure I'm feeling my Hamstrings being worked. I'd say give it a shot and go heavier, but once my back starts to round I stop and regroup myself.

Friday Nov. 27th

** I had every intention of working out on Friday, but I was out of town, Memphis, and I couldn't get in touch with any gyms that were open early. I got in touch with Anytime Fitness, but the guy wasn't in until 10 am, and we were getting our day started, so I had to skip.

Monday Nov. 30th

DB Hammer Curls

55x5-4-3

Incline DB Curls
    45x7-4-3

HS Seated Leg Curls
    125x8-3-3

Sled Calve Raises
    210x15-5

PLing Squats
    365x6
    275x14-6

** I was happy with both sets of Curls, and I'm enjoying the Incline DB Curls a great deal.

** The Leg Curls and Calve Raises were good, but I get a strong cramp in my hips on the Leg Curls, which is probably due to going heavy, I'll need to stretch my hips more.

** I lowered the weight a bit to up the reps, which felt much better with the 365. If I had a partner I would have had more confidence to get 1 maybe 2 more reps. On the 275 set, my lower back was completely fatigued. I guess I'll never get 20 reps straight, but I don't want to drop the weight and do 20 easy reps, so I'll continue to do it like this I guess.

Wednesday Dec. 2nd

DB Military

70x10-4-4

Flat DB Press
    90x8-4-3

Pulldowns (Machine very similar to the Cybex)
    230x8-3-3

Skull Crushers
    90x10-5-4

T-Bar- Chest Supported: Wide Grip
    160x5
    90x10-5-5

** The DB Military and Flat DB weights felt great, maybe it was a good thing to take Friday off. I'll be upping the weights on these next workout.

** The Skulls felt extremely good also, I like getting 10+ reps on Skulls, I don't like the lower reps.

** The Pulldown machine felt great, but the T-Bar rows were just odd, and I couldn't get a good groove, it will have to do for now.

My weight is sitting right around 192, which I figured would happen after a lot of eatting last week, but I still have a great deal of vascularity, but I'll need to slow down my weight gain. I'll be stopping the creatine after I finish this tub of Results, so that will be a drop of 500-600 calories in itself.

I'm thinking of 2 more cycles of this DC Training which would equate to another 4 weeks. I have a long break from school coming up, so I'll be able to rest and hit the weights even harder, and my results have been coming along great, so I don't want to stop. 2 more cycles would put me at 10 weeks of heavy lifting, so I'll take an easy week after that.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 12-02-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Nice couple of workouts, holding steady in here.

Time to play catch up...

Friday December 4th

BB Curls

100x8-5-3

Reverse BB Curls
    90x4-2-2-2

Sumo SLDL (Smith)
    375x6-3-3

Squats (BBing)
    335x6
    245x19

** The BB Curls were good, but the Reverse are still awkward, I can either get it or I can't, there are no slow grueling reps with these.

** The Sumo SLDL's were AMAZING, and this is a PR, as I've never done them before, but I've been hitting a new PR any SLDL workout.

** Squats felt good, I was shaking before the sets, and I wasn't really sure about doing them this week. I manned up and went for the 245 for 20 straight, but I put that hump in my back on the 19th and said F' it.

Monday December 7th

Flat DB Press

95x6-3-3

DB Side Raises
    45x10-5-4

Cybex Pulldowns
    220x7-4-4

Overhead BB Ext
    75x6-5-4

BB Rows (Underhand)
    220x5
    110x18-5

** I was excited to rep the 95's, I'm getting closer and closer to 100's.

** The Db Side Raises are hard to jump up in weight, not sure if I'll jump to 50's.

** Love the Cybex Pulldowns. The Overhead BB Ext's are just moving along.

** The Rows were alright, I just might not be a fan of the underhand grip, but I'm seeing how they mesh with my back thickness before I scrap them. I don't have to love every exercise to do them.

Wednesday December 9th

BB Curls

100x8-3-3

Reverse BB Curls
    90x5-4-3

SLDL
    345x5-3-3

Leg Press
    900x4
    760x11

Calve Raises - Leg Press
    495x12-6-6-6

** I had to hit certain exercises on this day as I was training a friend at a different gym, and everything was different. That's probably the reason for limited progression on the Curls.

** SLDL's increased. I'm so pumped to be repping mid 300's on these, I know my Hamstrings will be looking good when I compete.

** Now let's talk about Leg Press, the warmups were good, but when I got to 900 I felt that pressure on my lower back, so I cut my reps and my depth a bit. I tried to get my 20's, but it was a done deal. I decided to try some Hack Squats as I wasn't done with my Quads, so I had my feet together and did 315 for 10 deep reps. I'll be doing Hack's next workout period.

Things have been moving well, but changing gyms is counterproductive, oh well. My weight is still right at 191-192, I may need to add a little extra into my daily eatting, especially after I cut the RESULTS, which will be a loss of 600 calories.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 12-09-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Nice to see you back.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Good deal on keeping things up-to-date in here...see that you are doing well with the efforts bro.

Very impressive workouts, you're killing those squats. What are the current thoughts as far as competitions go next year. Still thinking you're wanting to hold of until later in the year?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Very impressive workouts, you're killing those squats. What are the current thoughts as far as competitions go next year. Still thinking you're wanting to hold of until later in the year?
    Thanks. I try to put the effort in on Squats since most don't put a lot of effort into them.

I'm still going to hold off until the latter half of the year to compete. I've never been this consistent with my working out, so if I can stay consistent until the end of 2010 then I should have my physique to where I've never had it before.

I also have intentions of competing in a PLing competition in April, so I'm trying to alter my training for that now. We'll see how things turn out.

Since I've been on break from school I have been on the computer less, so I'm not going to post all of the workouts, just some of the main aspects from them. I did my de-load week and took a little extra rest, so I'll be ready to go over the next few months.

UPDATE: I am going to enter a BBing contest March 20th in Northern Ohio, in Lakewood.

NPC Natural Ohio (Drug Tested)

I know someone else entering the show and we will have some family going already, so I decided I would enter also. I have just over 12 weeks to get ready for it, so I'm starting to clean up my diet now and getting my training set.

Over the course of the past 2-3 weeks I've hit some heavy lifts, for me....

Rack Deads
    455x1 495x MISS

Conventional Deads
    425x1
    435x1

Flat BB Press
    245x1
    255x1

Over the course of the past 2 weeks, I've increased my volume, and it's TOUGH compared to the HIT style routine I was doing. I just may become a HIT lifter, I believe I personally like it better. I've been reading a lot of different material over the past few weeks, and everything I've read has it's advantages, but from what I've done lower volume workouts and more frequency is ideal for me, but I will try more things throughout the years, hopefully I find what works best for me.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 12-31-2009 at 05:06 AM.