Page 53 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1507

Thread: Time+Patience Plus Consistency

LuNa
    First off all, congratulations on graduating. As you said, you have worked hard on getting this degree, so congratulations with obtaining your degree.

Im sorry to hear that the job outlooks are still not great over there. However, i think its very impressive that instead of sitting still you have decided to go back to school and give yourself a better chance at a career. I think that is a very good choice.

We all go through certain periods in which lifting takes a backseat because we have other, often more important stuff to take care off.

Wish you the best of luck Scott with sorting things out and hope to see you back to lifting real soon.

Yes, it's a very bad time for educators right now. The budget has every school cutting back. I wish you the best of luck trying to find a teaching job, but it's just really hard right now.

On the bright side, you have your degree and that can open a lot of doors for you. Most people end up not working in the areas of their degree, but it can open a lot of doors for you. Employers like to see that a person has the dedication to finsih something hard (like college). Keep an open mind and a good job will present itself.

Moving and settling in somewhere new also sucks. It really uprrots your whole life. Luckily you get settled in quickly. The important thing is to keep your head up and keep moving forward. Something's going to break for you and you will be doing great. Until your big break comes up just get out there and keep busy. Any job right now will boost your moral and get you some money. Heck, with your build and knowledge, you could easily be a trainer for the time being.

Anyways, I wish you luck and look forward to having you back here and participating on our forum.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Good luck with your job hunting endeavors of 2011.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

No doubt you and your wife will make it through this huge transition, wish you all the best in getting your careers off the ground.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Bump
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

bumpbump
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

BUUUUUUUUUUMP!!

Damn everyone has good timing on this website. I am right in the swing of getting my life back on track. I will be updating within the next 24 hours.

There isn't much to update on the training front, but updates of life are due and plans from here on out are due as well.

I'm happy to see that some of the guys that I like are still here on the site!

Rory, the shoulder has to be feeling much better by now right? You gotta be back in the swing of things by now. I gotta go find your journal. I thought you talked about starting a new one up?

Thomas is killing it as usual.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

I see you posting. Where's the update at in here hoss

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

Alright, so let me update a few things.

I last left off with no job and an unpromising outlook on my life post-graduation.

In late July I began working at FedEx. I was working the early morning shift which is usually from 3:30am-8:30am Tuesday-Saturday morning. I also began taking some classes at a local Community College so I could take some Science and Anatomy based courses to get me ready for a Science related major that is undecided.

I eventually got a job at ECOT which is an online school in Ohio. I took that position and began working in mid-Sep and so for the past 4 months I have been working at FedEx, on the same early morning shift, and then working my teaching gig at ECOT.

The past 2 months have really hammered me physically, and I just quit FedEx on Dec. 31st.

I was working a lot of hours and putting myself through some tough work, but I was able to bring some extra money into the household to really get out of debt and we also had a helluva Christmas this year.

Over the past 4 weeks I have been working out about 2 X's a week on average. Now I am ready to jump back into lifting hardcore again, but it'll take about 2 weeks for me to get back into the groove of things.

I have just started back on my DC training. I was just winging it over the past few months, but I just felt like I needed a structured routine to get me back on track.

I will post up my most recent workouts with DC, and a rather recent photo. I'm not looking as terrible as I could, so I'm happy with that and my BF% is right under 14%.

I'm hoping to be on here with more regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I see you posting. Where's the update at in here hoss
    I see you posting, what's your status (not your relationship status, but your physical status)?

Sounds rough man, good luck with everything in the future. I know what you mean about sticking to something for a while, whenever I hit a slump it's the only way I can push my self through. I have to have goals set and I force my self to reach them.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

House Lannister
    Nice to see you getting back to the weights again Scott!

Have you considered a move out of Ohio? I have family from there and have visited countless times. The economy is shit in that state, and the state income just isn't there to pay for teachers. You'd probably have a much easier time finding a better teaching job outside of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Sounds rough man, good luck with everything in the future. I know what you mean about sticking to something for a while, whenever I hit a slump it's the only way I can push my self through. I have to have goals set and I force my self to reach them.
    I'm trying to devise some goals right now. I'll probably shoot for some immediate goals from about 10 weeks out from now.

I see you perfecting your BBing poses! Back looks solid as a mother....

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Nice to see you getting back to the weights again Scott!

Have you considered a move out of Ohio? I have family from there and have visited countless times. The economy is shit in that state, and the state income just isn't there to pay for teachers. You'd probably have a much easier time finding a better teaching job outside of Ohio.
    I'll be happy to be back on here regularly and in the gym consistently. I need to get my meals consistent as well. I have been the epitomy of inconsistency with regards to eatting and lifting.

Oh hell yes I am considering a move out of Ohio. With teaching there's a small window for chance for hire. We are going to explore North and South Carolina and Virginia. My wife is very hesitant to move westward, but I'm down for whatever. I would just prefer some better weather than what we get in the midwest.

We are living cheap in Ohio right now though. We are able to really get out of debt and save $$ with our current situation, so it's not a bad one.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 01-05-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Yes, it's a very bad time for educators right now. The budget has every school cutting back. I wish you the best of luck trying to find a teaching job, but it's just really hard right now.

On the bright side, you have your degree and that can open a lot of doors for you. Most people end up not working in the areas of their degree, but it can open a lot of doors for you. Employers like to see that a person has the dedication to finsih something hard (like college). Keep an open mind and a good job will present itself.

Moving and settling in somewhere new also sucks. It really uprrots your whole life. Luckily you get settled in quickly. The important thing is to keep your head up and keep moving forward. Something's going to break for you and you will be doing great. Until your big break comes up just get out there and keep busy. Any job right now will boost your moral and get you some money. Heck, with your build and knowledge, you could easily be a trainer for the time being.

Anyways, I wish you luck and look forward to having you back here and participating on our forum.
    Things did turn around for me and the family, although it's nothing I envisioned when I went back to school with hopes of being a classroom teacher. Being an online teacher is a bit "different." We'll be sitting pretty by summertime with regards to finances and such. We are hoping to make another huge life change this summer or hold out and make it next summer. The end goal is to MOVE out of Ohio. Been here for 20+ years, I'm ready to move on as I don't love it that damn much.

I am looking into doing some training over the summer and potentially using that as a stop gap for a potential move while waiting for a teaching position to open up in another state like VA, North or South Car.

Huge training update. I decided to jump back onto DC training. I eased into the 1st 2 weeks, so I plan on running with it for another 8 weeks after that for a total of 10 weeks.

I have been very inconsistent so I thought a routine would be best until I just get that feel for my body again.

The rep total includes all of the reps from the Rest-Pause sets.

Saturday Dec. 31st

Inc BB145x28

Upright BB Rows 80x40

WG Pullups (Top )BW x 28

Machine Tricep Dips 80x38

DB Rows 90x8 x 2 sets

Monday Jan. 2nd

Incline DB Curls
    25x40

Sumo DL 365x5 x sets

Rev. BB Preacher 60x27

Strive Leg Curl (Top) 65x29

HS Leg Press 315x20 x 2 sets

Box Jumps 3 sets of 10

Thursday Jan. 5th

Machine Flat Bench 190x30

Machine Military 140x31

CG Pullups 140x25

Pushdowns 110x41

CG Cable Rows 140x13/10

Saturday Jan. 7th

BB Curls 70x35

SLDL 275x22

Seated Rev BB Curls 65x35

BBing Squats 300x5 x 2 sets

Sled Calf Raises 90x25

Monday Jan. 9th

Flat DB 75x30

UH Pulldowns 150x24

DB Leaning Laterals 25x37

Overhead Cable Ext 85x38

T- Bar Rows 135x10 x 2 sets

Wednesday Jan. 11th

Cable Curls 120x38

Strive Leg Curls (Beginning) 80x37

Seated Rev. BB Curls 70x64

Rev. Hack Squats 495x5 515x5

Sunday Jan. 15th

Inc BB 150x28

Upright BB Rows 90x43

WG Pullups (Top ) BW x 33

Machine Tricep Dips 90x35

DB Rows 95x10 x 2 sets

Wedneday Jan. 18th

Incline DB Curls 30x30

Sumo DL 375x6 x 2 sets

Rev. BB Preacher
    60x33

Strive Leg Curl (End) 70x33

HS Leg Press 365x20/18

So far I am happy to be back on DC as it gives me some consistency. I'm really hoping that I can get things back on the right track over the next few weeks. Mostly diet is the main thing. I'm trying to clean things up and increase my protein which has been pitifully low the past few months.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 01-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Good stuff Scott. Its good to see these updates from you. Your journal was always in my top 3 or so I liked to follow when it was bustling, the more updates the better!

As you well know, it is always a good idea to have a routine, plan, or base to work around, then you can deviate from it if ever you see fit.

Good deal on the update, wish you the best moving forward.

LuNa
    Good to see a huge update Scott and seeing that training is back on track.

Friday Jan. 20th

Machine Flat Bench
    200x31

Machine Military
    145x29

Tricep Pushdowns
    120x44

CG Pulldowns
    150x24

CG Cable Rows
    140x17/13

**** Solid workout. I increased on everything in some form or fashion, but that's expected as I wasn't going all out the weeks prior. I should make a good deal of progress on all of these exercises for at least the next 3-4 workouts. I am using more machines simply for the variety... I used to always love this Flat Bench Machine... and the Military Machine is feeling good as well.

Monday Jan. 23rd

BB Curls
    80x36

Seated Rev. BB Curls
    75x66

Squats
    315x8/4

DB Leg Curls on Dec. Bench
    55x24

Sled Calves
    100x27

**** The Squats just didn't feel 100%. I am normally able to feel my legs working, but I felt like I was just going through the motions. I went with a closer stance and I usually put plates under my heels because I had surgery on my right ankle, and mobility is limited. I really like the Seated Rev. BB curls, I like starting a bit higher on this movement, it just feels more natural. DB Leg Curls were brutal, like always.

One thing about how I'm approaching this DC blast is that I am starting off with lighter weights and increasing the reps a lot more compared to what is detailed in the program.

I'm doing this as if gives me 4 weeks to get used to all of these movements and lifting consistently again, which has been a real struggle for me over the past 6 months. I also believe that certain muscle groups respond better to the higher reps. I will move to the lower Rest-Pause rep total starting next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Good stuff Scott. Its good to see these updates from you. Your journal was always in my top 3 or so I liked to follow when it was bustling, the more updates the better!
    It was easier for me to frequent the site less this past summer due to not being into lifting myself and if I recall you, Tim, and Ryan all faded away for a while for various reasons.

Is it looking like it'll be a while until you can get back into lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    As you well know, it is always a good idea to have a routine, plan, or base to work around, then you can deviate from it if ever you see fit.

Good deal on the update, wish you the best moving forward.
    The structure is what I need now. I've had 6-7 months of minimal structure. I like DC training anyways, so it's not a bad deal. I'd actually like to run with DC for a few blasts and see where I'm at 6 months from now. I was very happy with my progress on DC after only 2 blasts, which were spread out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNa View Post
    Good to see a huge update Scott and seeing that training is back on track.
    I think the huge update was a bit necessary with my lack of posting. The training is almost 100% back on track. Not quite there, but close enough.

House Lannister
    good move on starting out with much higher reps before hitting it hard on DC.

Wednesday Jan. 25th

Flat DB Press
    80x17

DB Leaning Laterals
    30x27--28

Overhead Cable X
    90x30

UH Pulldowns
    155x22

T-Bar Rows
    140x12/10

**** I didn't feel great heading into this workout. I ate a bowl of cereal and it just didn't settle right. I tried to up everything that I felt ready for. The Flat DB was tough, but felt good. The leaning lateral are tough and very hard to resist on the negative. The Overhead Ext., pulldowns, and T-Bars all went extremely well.

Thursday Jan. 26th

Cable Curls
    130x39

Strive Leg Curls (Beginning)
    85x32

Hammer Curls
    45x18

Rev. Hack Squats
    495x8
    510x6

*** I had to workout early today. My wife works 12 hour shifts at night and they are alway back-2-back, so I usually take 2 off days in a row, and we plan on being out of town until Sunday night. The Cable curls went well (better than last week). The leg curls were extremely tough, and I've been stabilizing my hips which makes it tougher. I'm not feeling the DB Hammer Curls, but I don't know many other choices for forearm focused exercises.

One change to note. I was reading and older DC thread (actually from this site, where Dante came and debated/argued with members about his methods) and I forgot about his focus on the negative. He was advocating an 8 second negative. I have always slowed it down, but not to that degree.

Starting with yesterday's workout I started to go back to that slower negative; my negatives are closer to a quick 5-6 seconds. I doubt many go with a long 8 second count. I'm a believer in the benefits of the negative, and I realized I needed to go back to incorporating that. It made such a huge difference. Certain exercises are extremely hard to resist the negative, which makes them extremely hard.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 01-26-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Doing negatives do come in handy, been applying those myself at times to good effect.

Like what you are doing, good deal on the killer training, reps are outrageous.

Banned
    scott didnt know you were back. thats some major repping there. i tried something that 8s negative and it is really tough. i did something closer to 5s. looking forward to seeing more from you

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    *** I had to workout early today. My wife works 12 hour shifts at night and they are alway back-2-back, so I usually take 2 off days in a row, and we plan on being out of town until Sunday night. The Cable curls went well (better than last week). The leg curls were extremely tough, and I've been stabilizing my hips which makes it tougher. I'm not feeling the DB Hammer Curls, but I don't know many other choices for forearm focused exercises.

One change to note. I was reading and older DC thread (actually from this site, where Dante came and debated/argued with members about his methods) and I forgot about his focus on the negative. He was advocating an 8 second negative. I have always slowed it down, but not to that degree.

Starting with yesterday's workout I started to go back to that slower negative; my negatives are closer to a quick 5-6 seconds. I doubt many go with a long 8 second count. I'm a believer in the benefits of the negative, and I realized I needed to go back to incorporating that. It made such a huge difference. Certain exercises are extremely hard to resist the negative, which makes them extremely hard.
    Regarding the forearm exercises, one i really liked was reverse one arm cable curl (DC came up with that one). There is a detailed explanation on intensemuscle.com. I had a quick look but couldnt locate it. I think he does show it in one of his youtube video's as well.

For the negatives, i read that as well but DC later came back saying he was just making a point with the 8 second negatives. I think your understanding regarding that is on point.