Thread: Noob here

Wannabebig New Member

Noob here

So I have been lifting on and off for over a year now. Im a small guy. 5'9 132lbs. Im trying to become more serious with lifting now and just wanted some opinions on my possibly horrible routine.

Monday,wednesday,friday
    Biceps
    -Concentration curls
    -Curls using the machine
    -Hammer Curls
    -Regular dumbell curls

Shoulders
    -Sholder press with free weights
    -Front raises
    -Side raises
    -Sholder press with machine

Tuesday,Thursday,Saturday
    Chest
    -Flat Bench
    -Incline Bench
    -Cross Cables
    -Butterflys with machine

Triceps
    -Pull downs
    -Extensions with dumbell
    -Kickbacks
    -Nosebreakers

Sundays=off day

I feel like I might be trying to do to much and im not giving my body enough time to rebuild the muscle. I do each set 3X8-10. Im trying to do heavy weight less reps to gain more mass. Any input is helpful. Thanks.

Man I dont see a SQUAT DAY there!!!!!

Now that you've gotten your bad first post out of the way (we've all done it) spend a few hours reading all of the threads similar to yours. You will quickly see what's wrong with your routine. You will also hear the name of a book and a program mentioned repetitively...read it/do it. Out of your 16 excercises listed, you only have two..maybe three that you need to have.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowCG View Post
    So I have been lifting on and off for over a year now. Im a small guy. 5'9 132lbs. Im trying to become more serious with lifting now and just wanted some opinions on my possibly horrible routine.

Monday,wednesday,friday
    Biceps
    -Concentration curls
    -Curls using the machine
    -Hammer Curls
    -Regular dumbell curls

Shoulders
    -Sholder press with free weights
    -Front raises
    -Side raises
    -Sholder press with machine

Tuesday,Thursday,Saturday
    Chest
    -Flat Bench
    -Incline Bench
    -Cross Cables
    -Butterflys with machine

Triceps
    -Pull downs
    -Extensions with dumbell
    -Kickbacks
    -Nosebreakers

Sundays=off day

I feel like I might be trying to do to much and im not giving my body enough time to rebuild the muscle. I do each set 3X8-10. Im trying to do heavy weight less reps to gain more mass. Any input is helpful. Thanks.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig New Member
    Alrighty thank you.

Your routine is not salvageable, do a premade one like starting strength. You dont need a whole day for biceps and I dont see any legs at all. Starting strength is proven to work, you will not be unhappy with the results.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Wannabebig Member
    Yes. SS is what you need. I had been lifting on/off for months with little results and discouragement. SS whipped my ass into shape. Do that, and eat like a body builder, and you will bulk the hell up. SS is not a scam. If it's not hard enough, your not lifting heavy enough. I am WHOOPED when I leave the gym. Good luck my friend.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I should have specified that I am in fact seeing results with my current routine. I started at 120lbs when I first started lifting and now clocking in at 132 its a solid 12lb gain. But I am going to try this SS routine for sure.

Wannabebig Member
    You wont regret it. Do it to a T. Don't add any bs to it, except for dips and pull ups. My arms have gotten a lot bigger just by doing this program.

That's a pretty bad routine dude. Compound lifts should represent nearly all of your exercises.

Stuff like triceps kickbacks & concentration curls are a total waste of time. Instead, you'd want to replace those lifts with something like dips (works tri's but also chest, delts) and you'd want to replace concentration curls with something like pull-ups (works biceps, but also forearms, back, etc).

Squat and deadlifts are also mandatory if you want to get big.
    31 years old
    5'8", 183lbs
    Current PR's:
    Bench 225lbs x 4
    Squat 255lbs x 3
    Deadlift 315lbs x 3

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess I should have specified that I am in fact seeing results with my current routine. I started at 120lbs when I first started lifting and now clocking in at 132 its a solid 12lb gain. But I am going to try this SS routine for sure.
    1) you're new to this, you'll see gains if do anything.
    2) 12lbs is not necessarily all muscle.
    3) stick to SS, learn the movements and how to do them properly (ESPECIALLY SQUATS, no half-squatting!)
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Wannabebig New Member
    All this input is really helping guys I really appreciate it. I was reading over the SS routine and I have a bad right knee, if I were to cut out the powerclean part of the routine would that take a lot away from the routine? Is there something I could do to replace it?

LuNa
    All this input is really helping guys I really appreciate it. I was reading over the SS routine and I have a bad right knee, if I were to cut out the powerclean part of the routine would that take a lot away from the routine? Is there something I could do to replace it?
    You can replace the powerclean with bent over barbel rows. The powerclean should only be performed when you have someone checking your form anyways, so this might not be a bad idea. Note though, that the powerclean is an excellent exercise with several advantages over the row.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    You can replace the powerclean with bent over barbel rows. The powerclean should only be performed when you have someone checking your form anyways, so this might not be a bad idea. Note though, that the powerclean is an excellent exercise with several advantages over the row.
    exactly, but if you cannot perform it, don't try it. stick with bent-over barbell rows, and make sure your form is good when you do them.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

for putting on mass the row is just as good I think.

You can also sub heavy as **** power rows (maybe every other time you do rows, once strict, then next session they're up do power rows where you use a weight a lot heavier and explode them up and try to return them to down position slowly). This adds mass like crazy cause you can lift huge DBs.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 06-05-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Jesus Christ.. another victim of "I train muscles I see only" syndrome...

Mate, follow the advice given earlier, that routine you posted sucks..