Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good deal?

Wannabebig Member

Is this a good deal?

Hi Guys, I've been looking for a home gym.

Would this be a good deal?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11240364

What do you recomend?

Thanks!
    Galosat.

This is probably a better idea, it seems this is what you're looking for: http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/LLR01580.html

I recommend getting yourself a power rack and a 300lb Olympic barbell set to begin.

ahahaha, a coat rack! :P
    to the OP, that seems to be a jumble of machines in one. i don't like to use machines to be honest. i agree with notorious. a power rack, bench, barbell and weights are all you ever need, and on some websites (such as craigslist, or kijiji) you can find the above mentioned for the same price (if not cheaper) used.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    This is probably a better idea, it seems this is what you're looking for: http://www.shoplet.com/office/db/LLR01580.html

I recommend getting yourself a power rack and a 300lb Olympic barbell set to begin.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

don't buy a ****ing smith machine man come on.

Search for Proline Power Rack. I just got one shipped for 320$ at sam's club.

Wannabebig Member

Power rack

Ok guys let's move on to the power rack then.

Please suggest what models you guys know are solid buys.

I'm also looking to be able to do lat pull downs.

Thanks!
    Galosat.

Elite FTS makes the best, IMO. I have one of their cages and love that ****ing thing to death. I won't ever buy anything else. Suggestions: I would add a second pair of J-Hooks, and the Incline bench if I were you:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=681
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

^ imo that one is awesome unless you are squatting HUGE (600+) numbers. Most of us probably won't ever need to go above 405 if muscle-building/bodybuilding is our goal.

That has a pullup bar which is imo much much better than lat pulldowns (although some people like to do both pullups and lat pulldowns I find personally all I need for back is weighted pullups, heavy DB rows, and rack pulls).

Wannabebig Member
    Ok I get it!

Power rack will be. But I did want to keep the lat pull down because I'm still to heavy to be able to do pull ups.

I want to spend around $1.000 bucks to get my home gym going. I got a bench but that's it so far.

The power rack above seems fine can you paste the link for that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Galosat; 05-30-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Galosat.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/sps.html

Pretty good rack for the money. I hear the lat tower is decent as well.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    Last edited by Galosat; 05-30-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Galosat.

you can get bands and loop them around the pullup bar and hitch your foot in them to take off weight. Or you can do negatives (jump to the up position and SLOWLY lower down). The eccentric portion of the lift is where most of the systematic muscle tearing is done. So its the most important portion to spend as many seconds under tension slowly lowering.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Elite FTS makes the best, IMO. I have one of their cages and love that ****ing thing to death. I won't ever buy anything else. Suggestions: I would add a second pair of J-Hooks, and the Incline bench if I were you:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=167&pid=681
    A little FYI all of Elite's racks come from William's Strength out of Columbia SC. I've picked up a ton of equipment from that place and they are really top notch. Only issue I see with them is a price (you pay for a premium) and I'm a bit skeptical about the base rack if its not bolted down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    A little FYI all of Elite's racks come from William's Strength out of Columbia SC. I've picked up a ton of equipment from that place and they are really top notch. Only issue I see with them is a price (you pay for a premium) and I'm a bit skeptical about the base rack if its not bolted down.
    The racks definitely need to be bolted down to either a platform or the floor. I can't imagine any cage that could stand alone without being bolted down. Racking a squat and flipping the cage over with yourself behind the bar would be...worse than bad.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys for all your help!!!

I ended getting the powertec rack with lat option and bench!

http://www.shoppowertecfitness.com/product.php?id=12

thanks!!!
    Galosat.

Banned

its a bad idea

look,the last year,when i bring to my home some machines,weights,... i trained with them 2 weeks only and then i hate them because training alone is not a good thing:you need a partner to help you in some massive lifts such as a heavy bench weight,squat ,..

Quote Originally Posted by the_top View Post
    look,the last year,when i bring to my home some machines,weights,... i trained with them 2 weeks only and then i hate them because training alone is not a good thing:you need a partner to help you in some massive lifts such as a heavy bench weight,squat ,..
    That may be true for you but it isn't true for everybody. Kiaran for example has done very well for himself training alone.

Quote Originally Posted by the_top View Post
    While training with a partner or with a group is definitely more optimal, you can get bigger and stronger training alone in a home gym... I'm doing it now. Get a rack, my home gym has been one of the best investments I've ever made.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    I work in Columbia, SC and picked up a used rack from William's Strength for $2,000.

That included the lat stack, bench, and a couple bars for the lat stack. It also has an experimental 'self spotter' on the front of it. I don't think that ever made it into production.

Right now Williams Strength has an awesome deal on this:

$3,600 (Price does not include Pulling Stands, Bands, Bar, Chains and Weights.) If only I were independently wealthy...

Wannabebig Member
    Hi guys the only thing left for me to buy is the bar.
    Anyone know a good deal?
    Galosat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I work in Columbia, SC and picked up a used rack from William's Strength for $2,000.

That included the lat stack, bench, and a couple bars for the lat stack. It also has an experimental 'self spotter' on the front of it. I don't think that ever made it into production.

Right now Williams Strength has an awesome deal on this:

$3,600 (Price does not include Pulling Stands, Bands, Bar, Chains and Weights.) If only I were independently wealthy...
    I would LOVE to have that set up.

But why are the 45s on the highest position and the 2.5s down at the bottom?
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    I would LOVE to have that set up.

But why are the 45s on the highest position and the 2.5s down at the bottom?
    Because that puts the 45's at about chest level. You don't have to bend over to take them off the rack. Believe me, its easier that way. I'm short, so I have my 45's on the second to the highest pin. You also use the 45's more often than the others. Makes sense to put them at the easiest level to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Galosat View Post
    Hi guys the only thing left for me to buy is the bar.
    Anyone know a good deal?
    Where did you get the plates that they didn't come with a bar?

How much money do you have left to spend on one?
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

For a home gym setup you definitely do not need an EliteFTS or Williams Strength rack. They are great quality - but are overkill for what most people are going to be doing. Those racks are commercial gym quality and were designed for athletic teams to use them. It would be like going hunting for deer with a bazooka... sure, it might be nice to have but it isn't practical.

Your best bet for home gym equipment is going to be BodySolid: http://www.bodysolid.com/Index.cfm

I bought a body solid rack for under $400 I believe and they have a lifetime guarantee. We have done 600+ lbs squats and rack pulls, loaded 400 lbs stones, and had a 300 lbs man doing chins on this rack - still just as good as the first day that it was put together. There is a silver rack on the website that is a slightly larger one but if you look around you should be able to even find some used BodySolid stuff on craigslist or ebay.

When I put together my home gym I bought an adjustable bench, 400 lbs weight set with barbell, and the rack - all for around $750. That is all that you will need to build outstanding size / strength!
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com