The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Good fat cutting routine for women.

My mom wants start lifting with me so she can cut fat and lose some weight. Im not really too sure what I should have her do because she has no lifting experience and I dont know what women should do. She wants to lose about 40lbs so yeah. Any ideas?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    My mom wants start lifting with me so she can cut fat and lose some weight. Im not really too sure what I should have her do because she has no lifting experience and I dont know what women should do. She wants to lose about 40lbs so yeah. Any ideas?

It doesn't matter what she does, so long as it requires some effort.

Losing weight/fat is pretty much all diet. You don't want to lose muscle mass though so she should be doing some lifting to hang on to as much of that as possible.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-02-2009 at 11:41 PM.

First of all, thats very damn cool! Secondly, diet is king when it comes to cutting/weightloss/weightgain - never the routine.

Your going to need to post a few more details about your mum, height/weight/current level of fitness/exercise history/etc. I'm not going say 'she should be doing heavy compounds' right off the bat, its going to either hurt her OR be too demanding and she will give up within days. Post up as much information as you like and I'll try and put something together, more than likely it will be some BW exercises with band assistance and band exercises - I'll also try to include low level conditioning work and dynamic stretches, so when she starts lifting weights more seriously, her GPP will handle everything

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    It doesn't matter what she does, so long as it requires some effort.

Losing weight/fat is pretty much all diet. You don't want to lose muscle mass though so she should be doing some lifting to hang on to as much of that as possible.
    Women don't need anything special, just don't throw her into squats and deadlifts right off the bat or you'll probably overwhelm her and she'll give up.

Start her off with easy lifts, put her on the leg press, bench press, etc.

Diet is important, but the more lean mass you mom puts on the more calories she can eat in a day without getting fat, remind her of this.

Might find this article useful.

I think the key thing would be to just get her moving and eating better. So just get her on a basic weights/cardio routine (perhaps twice a week.. 40 mins weights, 20 mins cardio...) and then get her to follow some basic diet rules Mon - Fri with the weekend off (i.e cut out the crap, 3 balanced meals with a couple of snacks).

Basically ease her into it otherwise it's going to be overwhelming and seem like too much hard work.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Make sure shes is doing resistance exercise. Most women over do the cardio way too much.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Make sure shes is doing resistance exercise. Most women over do the cardio way too much.
    Yes. As said above, she doesn't have to hit the squats and deads hard like the standard advice, but a good program with weights (plus diet of course) would help her out a ton. Much more then just simply cardio + diet like most chicks do.

One book that I HIGHLY recommend is "The new rules of lifting for women" aka NROL4W. It's basically not much different then the original NROL book, but when a woman sees a picture of a hot chick on the cover and it says "for women" in the title, they tend to be more interested in it then a typical guy's weightlifting book.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    First of all, thats very damn cool! Secondly, diet is king when it comes to cutting/weightloss/weightgain - never the routine.

Your going to need to post a few more details about your mum, height/weight/current level of fitness/exercise history/etc. I'm not going say 'she should be doing heavy compounds' right off the bat, its going to either hurt her OR be too demanding and she will give up within days. Post up as much information as you like and I'll try and put something together, more than likely it will be some BW exercises with band assistance and band exercises - I'll also try to include low level conditioning work and dynamic stretches, so when she starts lifting weights more seriously, her GPP will handle everything
    Alright shes 5ft 8in and body weight of 214. She really has never lifted or done much gym exercising, when she does go she usually does the treadmill and ab workouts. Any thing you could help with would help me out alot. Thanks in advance. Do you need any more information?

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

she needs to find her maintanence calories along with all the other things these guys have said.
    she needs: calories consumed < calories burned in a day(maintanence calories)
    and i suggest this website for a guide to what foods she should eat: http://whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235