Thread: First Back Injury Lifting

First Back Injury Lifting

Hi All,

I'm very grateful for the continued advice I've gotten here.

Unfortunately, I have encountered my first weightlifting injury since I started nine months ago. I'm fairly certain it was due to poor form on the Stiff-Legged deadlift (didn't keep the barbell close enough to my body). It didn't seem very bad until I did back day on Friday, which probably aggravated the problem.

Anyways, my lower back is in discomfort. I'd rate it about a 4 or 5 on a scale from 1-10, 10 being excruciating. I can still bend over, but it's not very comfortable.

I've skipped my past two days at the gym to try and give it some rest. It feels like it's a little better, but I wanted to know from the experts how long you think I should wait to get back in the gym. Do I have to wait until the pain is gone completely?

I would ice your back, take some asprin, and see a doctor.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I would ice your back, take some asprin, and see a doctor.
    ...or a chiropractor.

Thanks for the help guys....do you think I should stay out of the gym completely? Sitting around is killing me...I'd at least like to go do some cardio or something, but I don't want to do any damage if it's possible to do so with such light activity.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    ...or a chiropractor.
    ...or an orthopedic /sprts med dr.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    Thanks for the help guys....do you think I should stay out of the gym completely? Sitting around is killing me...I'd at least like to go do some cardio or something, but I don't want to do any damage if it's possible to do so with such light activity.
    i wouldn't. go outside for a light walk to get some fresh air, but don't strain yourself.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Foam Roll and stretching should be ok.
    Sarvamangalam!

I was just messing around doing a set of deadlifts when I hurt my back. I ended up pulling a tendon in my back, it took two months to heel. Doing anything to aggravate it set me back. Until I stopped lifting completly was when it heeled. I'm not saing you should do this but, thats what I went threw.

Alright, I've been giving my back plenty of rest, been out of the gym for a week. I can still feel it sometimes, but at least not when I'm walking or doing most bending over.

Your thoughts on whether I can start going back to the gym, and if so, which lifts can I go heavy on? Bench press? I'm going to take it easy on the squats and deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post

Your thoughts on whether I can start going back to the gym, and if so, which lifts can I go heavy on? Bench press? I'm going to take it easy on the squats and deadlifts.
    I would still go to someone with the first name of "Doctor" to find out what's going on. There are way too many moving parts in the back to risk messing it up further without getting some sort of professional opinion.

Definitely see a doctor, then undergo whatever type of treatment he/she recommends. I was out for over a year with a similar-sounding back injury from squatting.

It's really not worth the risk. The doc might just tell you to take some Advil and not workout for 3 days.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    if its your lower back that means it's simply a pulled muscle because pain in the lower back is always related to the muscles. this means its no sort of spine problem or n e thing. same thing happened to me a couple years back wen i was cleaning. i put on a back brace and went to football practice the next day

Wannabebig Member
    From the sound of it, it sounds like you have acute back pain. I would see a doctor and avoid putting your lower back under any phyiscal strain. Is it really worth the risk...?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WyztaTrjnsFtbll View Post
    if its your lower back that means it's simply a pulled muscle
    There are also tendons and ligaments, and its possible to strain a tendon or develop problems with the facet joints, etc. A lot of this may be due to improper muscle activation but to say lower back pain = muscle pull is wrong, and the treatment plan would be quite different.