The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

BODYBUILDING Routine?

Hows it going people, I was just wondering if anybody could direct me towards some good bodybuilding routines. Focusing on muscle size rather then strength. Everybody seems to suggest Rippetoes, which i know is a very good routine, but it is a powerlifting routine. I know the majority of guys here are following powerlifting routines but hopefully someone can help me out..

Thanks in advance people...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I wouldn't worry about bodybuilding routines until you have a very very strong foundation of strength. I a shooting for around 405 squat and deadlift before I switch over to a more mass oriented routine (I'm researching DC program - DoggCrapp - that seems to be very good but again you need to have a SOLID SOLID foundation of strength before you effectively implement the tactics they use).

I would suggest building a routine around OH press, Deadlift (or rack pull), Squat. And then building up some accessory work around those three lifts (back work, RC work, ab work, direct arm work, calf work). The accessory work is just to help, the three lifts you are always trying to PR in.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 06-06-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Any of the WannaBeBig routines or Baby Got Back. If you go to the routines section of this website (from the main page) you can find what you're looking for.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Powerlifting Routine>Bodybuilding Routine most of the time. If you want, read Ron Harris' articles about being a bodybuilder. What really separates the bodybuilder from the powerlifter in the end is diet and bodyfat%.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Powerlifting Routine>Bodybuilding Routine most of the time. If you want, read Ron Harris' articles about being a bodybuilder. What really separates the bodybuilder from the powerlifter in the end is diet and bodyfat%.
    I agree completely. Did you see Dave Tate dieted down?

My suggestion is to get on something like Starting Strength.
    Sarvamangalam!

That is exactly what I am talking about Zen!

You can always check out Arnold's Encyclopedia it's totally focused on size. Also there was a good bodybuilder that used to post on here called caseymajor, check out some of his threads. The one below lays out his basic workout.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106309

Quote Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
    You can always check out Arnold's Encyclopedia it's totally focused on size. Also there was a good bodybuilder that used to post on here called caseymajor, check out some of his threads. The one below lays out his basic workout.

Thats a pretty bad book to be recommending. Starting Strength is far far more practical.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wasnt it Arnold that said ''first you have to get strong and size will follow, like night follows day'' or something along those lines?

There is a reason that SS is suggested so often.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    love seein powerlifters wen they drop bodyfat

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar

Please don't recommend that book to anyone. The routines in that book have about 10 times more volume than what would be considered reasonable for anyone lifting naturally.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 06-06-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I agree completely. Did you see Dave Tate dieted down?
    Is that really Dave Tate? ... Wow!
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smokseysmoke View Post
    Hows it going people, I was just wondering if anybody could direct me towards some good bodybuilding routines.
    What's your background? IMHO unless you've been lifting for a while and have build some solid core strength, a bodybuilding routine isn't going to be what you should be doing.

are you new to working out?... if not might be worth looking at
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...-bodybuilding/

also lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    What's your background? IMHO unless you've been lifting for a while and have build some solid core strength, a bodybuilding routine isn't going to be what you should be doing.
    what do you mean by that? Is there a benchmark in your opinion?

I'm waiting until I can 1RM deadlift 405 and squat 405 and then I'm switching to Doggcrapp. Until then I am just focusing on getting those lifts up as high as humanly possible.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 06-07-2009 at 07:27 AM.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    BGB is great for size. It Incorporates the hypertrophy range quite a bit.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    what do you mean by that? Is there a benchmark in your opinion?

I'm waiting until I can 1RM deadlift 405 and squat 405 and then I'm switching to Doggcrapp. Until then I am just focusing on getting those lifts up as high as humanly possible.
    Ox is refering to people who jump straight into a BB style routine with NO GPP, or core strength. This is a fantastic point too, its a kin to asking someone to bench press who can't do pushups.

well I can't talk for Ox, but I have definitely heard people say that powerlifting style training is the way to go for a good long while til you can really reap the benefits of bodybuilding style programs.

Ok so as you know we have very FEW bodybuilders on this website but there was one named DAONE a while back, he posted his routine. People will rip on it, but he was planning to compete and this is the routine he followed. Hope this adds some variety to the answers you're receiving..

Quote Originally Posted by Daone View Post
    This is my split but I am alone in this LARGE crowd of powerlifters!!

Mondays
    QUADS AND SHOULDERS

Quads
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Hack Squats

Shoulders
    Seated Mil press
    Side lateral raises
    Bent Over lateral raises

Tuesdays
    BACK
    Weighted Pull-ups
    Rack Pulls
    Bent Over Rows
    Shrugs

Wednesday
    OFF

Thursday
    CHEST AND TRICEPS

Chest
    Incline Bench
    Flat Bench
    Weighted dips

Triceps
    Close grip bench
    Two arm DB overhead Ext.

Friday
    HAMS BICEPS & CALVES

Hams
    GHR
    SLDL
    Leg Curls

Biceps
    Standing BB curls
    Incline DB curls
    Hammer curls

Calves
    Standing calf raises
    Sitting calf raises
    Leg press calf raises
    I wouldn't recommend this as a routine but more of a tool for you to bounce ideas off of.
    Last edited by Cards; 06-07-2009 at 02:25 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

other than no erector or core work, that routine actually looks pretty nice for a BB routine. but not for a beginners routine no doubt.
    22 - 5'11'' - 190 lb
    PR's - Squat 350 | Bench 290 | Deadlift 400.4 | BW 203
    P Clean 98 KG | Jerk 106 | Full Clean 106 |
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me."
    "I'm really impressed with your dedication. I will call it your jedication." - killxswitch
    J O U R N A L !
    TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Ok so as you know we have very FEW bodybuilders on this website but there was one named DAONE a while back, he posted his routine. People will rip on it, but he was planning to compete and this is the routine he followed. Hope this adds some variety to the answers you're receiving..

I wouldn't recommend this as a routine but more of a tool for you to bounce ideas off of.
    That's not a routine. It's just a list of exercises. Do you do 38 sets of 2 on Monday, and 5 sets of 10 on Tuesdays or ???

One big tihng 'bodybuilders' can learn from powerlifters is how to PLAN training beyond just a list of exercises. And I put bodybuilder in quotes b/c most people who want a bodybuilding routine are sub-185 lb teens who think 'bodybuilding' routine = 250 lb mass monster by spring break!

brad you've got to be kidding me if you think bodybuilders don't plan their routines with at least the same level of exactness that powerlifters do. You're so ridiculous you're as if a caricature.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    That's not a routine. It's just a list of exercises. Do you do 38 sets of 2 on Monday, and 5 sets of 10 on Tuesdays or ???

One big tihng 'bodybuilders' can learn from powerlifters is how to PLAN training beyond just a list of exercises. And I put bodybuilder in quotes b/c most people who want a bodybuilding routine are sub-185 lb teens who think 'bodybuilding' routine = 250 lb mass monster by spring break!
    I didn't post this routine and claim it was mine. Within the first two sentences I stated that this was a bodybuilding routine posted by one of the few Bodybuilders that this site has had. That was the routine he followed, the OP's originally asked for a bodybuilding routine so why not forward him the routine that a bodybuilder actual uses?

I also noted at the end that I would not recommend that routine but use it as a tool for future reference...
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Read this article and also follow the routine it has in it. This is a bodybuilding routine and its also the one im doing. I consider myself more of a bodybuilder, rather than a powerlifter.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/b...a-bodybuilder/

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Some people tend to think that in order to be considered a "bodybuilding routine" it needs to designed as a bodypart split w/ lots of isolation exercises. That's far from the truth. Heavy compound lifts are the staple lifts needed to build muscle. That, plus a good diet will give one the bodybuilding physique.

BTW, SS is not a powerlifting routine. It's a beginners routine that should be used by anyone that plans on seriously pursuing any type of sport, whether it be bodybuilding, powerlifting, oly lifting, football, strongman, etc... It's just the fastest way to build up a good foundation of strength and muscular bodyweight before getting into more specific training.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!