Thread: Manta Ray when squatting

Manta Ray when squatting

We have manta ray's at our school and I used one for awhile until someone convinced me that it puts more stress on your back when you squat heavy.

I don't use a belt when I squat should I start?

I only got a 1RM of 345 but still..
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

i squat around the same as you and still don't use a belt. i think it's personal preference? some people feel more secure with a belt.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I squat a 1RM of 225-250 and use a belt. I have a history of lower back problems that runs in my family so I want to be careful. I dont know for shure, but I think a belt just adds for more safety. Dont quote me on this.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Hopefully I can get a answer from some senior lifters..

What about the manta ray?
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

there's been plenty of belt threads so if you go to either this or the powerlifting forums and use the search tab at the top of the page and type "belt" you should get some different answers and no, don't use a manta ray pad. Most people on this site use a belt at heavier sets, again it's personal preference. If you feel more secure with a belt then use one.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I belive in using a belt one notch loose, so you train yourself to push your abs/obliques out - so you develop a stronger core.

If you plan on competing in powerlifting, I'd learn to live without it. You could use it as an assitance exercise, but if you want to sqaut more - you are going to want to get the bar lower on your delts..

How do you even get into powerlifting?

I thought about getting on the schools weightlifting team but I wouldn't really be that great for my weight class...
    16, 262lb, 6'1
    Big 3
    BP - 295
    DL - 395
    Squat - 345
    Total - 1035

We've had many threads about the manta ray - there's nothing wrong with it as a tool, but I don't know why anyone would want to use it exclusively when squatting unless they just never learned how to place the bar properly on their back.

Squatting w. a Manta Ray = a very high bar positioned squat. As such, if you have forward lean, it will be a lot more stress on the lumbar.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    Quote Originally Posted by bass slayer View Post
    I squat a 1RM of 225-250 and use a belt. I have a history of lower back problems that runs in my family so I want to be careful. I dont know for shure, but I think a belt just adds for more safety. Dont quote me on this.
    bass, the belt helps suck your stomach in, allowing you to keep a neutral spine I believe, this way helping to save your low back. (you are correct)

I don't know about the manta ray putting pressure on the lower back, but at westside barbell, it is my belief they use this accessory for variation, e.g. as their ME exercise one week, then they will change this exercise again after 1-2 weeks.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 06-09-2009 at 09:00 AM.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786