The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dave Tate "Maybe you just dont know how to ****** Bench!"

Just came across the video and thought if it had not been posted before I would share.

Video
    Last edited by Andre518; 06-07-2009 at 08:18 AM.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

seen it, love it

Has been posted, but is a very good video.

Wannabebig Member
    The roll bar is a face/dental saver device in case of a sudden drop from liftoff/rack.

I love Dave Tate man!

He tells it like it is, just like Jim Wendler.

(Reminds me of my drill sgt. back in the day)!

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    is the roll bar supposed to be like a ,power cage safety bar? it looks like itll just topple over the bar and fall on the lifer?
    dude, if you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    dude, if you don't know, I'm not gonna tell you.
    Mr. Fresh won't be contributing to the thread, or any for that matter, any more. Check under his name.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Mr. Fresh won't be contributing to the thread, or any for that matter, any more. Check under his name.
    FINALLY! i was wondering when that was gonna happen. "now back to our regularly sheduled program"

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post

Great video, he is really entertaining to watch.
    Last edited by LuNa; 06-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Dave's a funny cat. Good vid.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Great vid, I enjoyed it and learned a thing or two.

I love this, and I love Dave Tate!

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I heard before your supposed to have your elbows tucked when benching? Does he mean that you tuck the elbows in before and during the descent and halfway through the ascent and then flare them out for the lockout. Lets just set the record straight though: tucked is when your elbows are rolled under and flared is when your elbows are rolled outwards, correct? Good video though, thanks for posting, even if it has been posted before: it's good to see this sort of thing and just because its been posted before doesn't mean some people haven't seen it, thanks.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

Anyone else have the Bench Press Index video Wendler made from EFS? It's pretty good as well. Love this video btw, thanks for putting it up.

I do have a question for the experienced fellas in here:

Recently, setting up with a huge arch and my feet tucked under me seems to hyperextend my lower back after a couple sets into my training. I've since dialed down the arch but I don't feel as tight now. Anyone else ever encounter this problem? I didn't have this problem when I first started arching heavily.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Do you wear a belt?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    Anyone else have the Bench Press Index video Wendler made from EFS? It's pretty good as well. Love this video btw, thanks for putting it up.

Recently, setting up with a huge arch and my feet tucked under me seems to hyperextend my lower back after a couple sets into my training. I've since dialed down the arch but I don't feel as tight now. Anyone else ever encounter this problem? I didn't have this problem when I first started arching heavily.
    I've pushed the arch and my belly up hard at a meet on a low bench, ended up being pretty painful.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

AWESOME bench vid..changed my benching forever!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

because of the tightness and contraction of the lower back you will feel it and it will be sore after benching..i've been working on this for 3 weeks now and this is the first week i felt tightness but no soreness. Just like anything else in training, a change tends to lead to soreness but only temporarily... keep trying to work through it and make sure you properly stretch before hand to alleviate it as much as possible and eventually it'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Do you wear a belt?
    I toss my belt on at 90% and up. Setting up like Tate and Wendler show in their vids yields unbeatable tightness for me. It just winds up tweaking out my lower back after a few sets is all. I'll probably just have to find my middle-ground and stick to that. Anyhow, I noticed those guys tuck their feet way under and get up on their toes. Don't your heels have to be in contact with the floor in comps? I drive my heels down into the ground until they are flat before liftoff, but I never get to see if those guys are doing the same thing from that position?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_H View Post
    I heard before your supposed to have your elbows tucked when benching? Does he mean that you tuck the elbows in before and during the descent and halfway through the ascent and then flare them out for the lockout. Lets just set the record straight though: tucked is when your elbows are rolled under and flared is when your elbows are rolled outwards, correct? Good video though, thanks for posting, even if it has been posted before: it's good to see this sort of thing and just because its been posted before doesn't mean some people haven't seen it, thanks.
    imagine your elbows are pointed towards your feet.. don't necessarily think "tuck" because, from experience with myself and clients, that ends up making you INTERNALLY rotate and can lead to some shoulder strain as well..

if you imagine your elbows "pointing" towards your feet during the descent, your elbows will tuck naturally and follow the line of your body maintaining the form as long as you break at your elbows first. As you drive the bar up and back towards the rack your elbows may or may now flare... but the transition back will help facilitate that.

been taking alot of video and alot of notes while training myself and my pl'n clients

the best thing i can tell ya is to practice practice practice.. in the past few weeks my clients have done thousands of reps with just the bar setting up and practicing this... having done this myself I've hit PR after PR just like i did yesterday.. easily did my bench work and turned around and did 2 sets of 315 for 10 after doing my triple work which is an all time career pr and both sets were EASY! the week before I hit 225 for 27 where before 225 for 20 was difficult and strained my shoulders..

as of today..ZERO shoulder pain!

I toss my belt on at 90% and up. Setting up like Tate and Wendler show in their vids yields unbeatable tightness for me. It just winds up tweaking out my lower back after a few sets is all. I'll probably just have to find my middle-ground and stick to that. Anyhow, I noticed those guys tuck their feet way under and get up on their toes. Don't your heels have to be in contact with the floor in comps? I drive my heels down into the ground until they are flat before liftoff, but I never get to see if those guys are doing the same thing from that position?
    reverse the belt if it's tapered or keep it low.. play with the setup.. sometimes if you wear the belt too tight it will keep pressure on yoru core but prevent you from pushing out as much to meet the bar. I've found wearing the belt a notch or too loose and pushing out like normal imparts low back support while properly pushing out your abs to meet the bar.

as far as heels go.. you need to learn to release your calves and push down through the heels. I know it sounds weird but relax your feet and push through your heels and down with your calves and it'll fix that problem..

i can't advocate enough practicing with just the bar and working it til it clicks. At first my feet woudln't do it but over time they eventually starting cooperating and my heels dropped and up'd the weight.

you'll know you're doing it right when you push into the floor and you don't move.. a sure sign of pushing through your toes is when you go to drive and your body slides back off the bench instead of into it.
    Last edited by thewicked; 06-09-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    because of the tightness and contraction of the lower back you will feel it and it will be sore after benching..i've been working on this for 3 weeks now and this is the first week i felt tightness but no soreness. Just like anything else in training, a change tends to lead to soreness but only temporarily... keep trying to work through it and make sure you properly stretch before hand to alleviate it as much as possible and eventually it'll pass.
    Hmmm. The pain feels identical to hyperextending on an OH Press. Perhaps I am not engaging my abs properly on my pressing movements. Possibly I need to shorten the number of sets I do with a tight arch and work myself up to more gradually. Although this just sounds to me like there is something I'm missing on the form that needs to be done with the core. I always push my abs out with air before liftoff. Maybe they are too loose and allowing my back to over extend during my heavier sets?

Also, thanks for the tips on driving my heels down. I can get them to touch, although I have to find the exact placement for them otherwise I wind up lifting my butt off the bench by accident.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 06-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

no.. not from my experience..

your pressing your hips up and contracting your lower back which is caused by hyperextension..

try some ballistic stretching such as high kicks, high pulls, and any other form of stretching. stretching the hams and hips tends to help relieve some tension in the lower back making the bench more comfortable. HOWEVER the lowerback is not supposed to be TOO loose. You want it to have SOME tightness because it's used to support the body! So don't do too much direct stretching of the lower back...

and just like i said before.. y ou have to practice it. Your back will be tired and sore and can feel like it's going to cramp when you first start this out. If you haven't been practicing it a few times everytime you're in teh gym or using this technique for weeks now it's expected. I've yet to have one client NOT have lowerback tightness, discomfort, and soreness both during and after workouts. Those that aren't experiencing it anymore have been doing it roughly a month.

make sure you properly warm up like tate suggested in the video. Jumping straight into the heavy stuff doesn't allow your body (cns/pns/neurmuscular function, and muscles/connective tissue) to properly warm up. I've added in quite a few more sets to my benching lately and it seems like more is better.. 15-20lb jumps are imho the way to go atleast for awhile.
    Last edited by thewicked; 06-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the time, really appreciate it, bro. I will stick with it and see where it goes. You are probably right in that my back is just not used to the stretch and placement. I'm a huge fan of dynamic warmups before I even touch a weight. I spend about 15 mins on bench day and 20 mins on squat day warming up with several dynamic stretch movements and work. I could definitely use some better movements to warmup with on bench day though. I'll give the ones you suggested a shot. I usually do a ton of shoulder circles, and a couple sets of light band pullaparts, shoulder horns and some GHR-Situps to wakeup my core. I'm sure it could be improved and I notice there is nothing warming my posterior chain up in there. Perhaps this is contributing to the issue?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Kiaran,
    I think there are a number of things to try - most have been mentioned, but keeping the glutes and abs tight will also protect your lower back in that position. It's tough to figure out, but give it a shot.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/