The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who wants to participate in these contests?

G'day Guys and Gals,

I realise we have a contest forum already but no one seems to visit in there and I think some challenges would be good fun for the community.
    Some ideas for events:

Here are some of my ideas, maybe they could be combined to form a sort of triathlon like bearwolf and sensei had a while ago?

Max OHSQ or Max number of reps with %BW overhead squat.

Most weight snatched (or power snatched maybe) with one arm.

Highest box jump.

Most BW Squats (e.g. I would squat with 200lbs)

Funniest joke? (this could be decided by a set of judges or poll)

Coolest skill, like a party trick. (again decided by a set of judges or poll)

Longest hold of X amount of weight.
    OR
    hold 405lbs for X seconds. (could be more, this is a lot of weight for me but probably not a lot of other members on the board :P) would only need to be lifted from high rack pull so simply a test of grip strength.
    OR
    Largest amount of weight held for 30 seconds.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sounds good to me.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

I think the 1-armed power snatch / box jump / greatest amount of weight held for 30 seconds would be interesting.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    I think the 1-armed power snatch / box jump / greatest amount of weight held for 30 seconds would be interesting.
    all in one move as well

awesome
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    all in one move as well

awesome
    So a power snatch while jumping onto a high box, while static holding 800lbs? Sounds good to me
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

haha super keen ay boys?

But seriously as a competition for 3 SEPERATE MOVEMENTS or even 3 seperate competitions how does it sound?
    I tried to think of competitions where there wouldn't necessarily be any clear winners to be picked.
    My Journal

Here are my ideas from another thread:
    *1 mile 100lb bag/object/dummy carry (without straps would make this a lot more interesting to me) for time
    *double bodyweight squat contest for reps
    *most reps with 225 squat & pull-ups in 15 minutes (can break it up in as many or as few sets as you'd like ala "EDT")

I don't know how well I'd do on these events anytime soon, but if we had the rest of 2009, I could probably post something not too embarrassing for each.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here are my ideas from another thread:
    *1 mile 100lb bag/object/dummy carry (without straps would make this a lot more interesting to me) for time
    *double bodyweight squat contest for reps
    *most reps with 225 squat & pull-ups in 15 minutes (can break it up in as many or as few sets as you'd like ala "EDT")

I don't know how well I'd do on these events anytime soon, but if we had the rest of 2009, I could probably post something not too embarrassing for each.
    Looks good. I don't think I'll be doing any double body weigh squats for reps though. I weight 225 and can only squat about 375
    Last edited by The Bran Man; 06-08-2009 at 02:09 AM.

I sure as hell couldn't do the 2xBW squats and I think the other squat contest would make me it's bitch, though I might be a bit more competitive with the addition of the pullups.

the 100lb carry sounds very interesting. Would it just have to be a backpack or bag? Could it be something with handles?
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 02:33 AM.
    My Journal

I like the 1 mile run Sensei. 100lb without straps definitely. Sandbag would be awesome!

It actually pisses me right off seeing these educational sandbag workout videos on youtube with sandbags that have straps or handles on them for lifting.

If that is what you were referring to or maybe it was just ruck sacks.

I think a 1 mile run with a 100lb sandbag in the zercher position would be awesome. Would totally annihilate you!

I am really tempted to set up another challenge again like the last one I did!
    after my workout today with 110lb sandbag thrusters I might focus around something like that!

maybe.....

• 110lb sandbag/barbell thruster for reps without dropping weight.
    • Max pressups with 0.5 x BW on back (1 minute time limit)
    • Max Barbell Military Press x 1 rep (rack or clean)
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-08-2009 at 08:04 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

How about:

3 rounds for time of...

* 800 meter run
    * 10 body weight deadlifts
    * 10 box jumps (28")
    * 5 tire flips

OR

WOD: "One Bar of Death"

10 rounds of each for time...

10 deadlift (135lbs-M / 85lbs - F)
    10 push press (135lbs - M / 85lbs - F)
    10 overhead squat (135lbs - M / 85lbs - F)

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Loving it chub. I really am man.

One Bar of Death!

How on earth would you get the bar above the head after all those push presses?!
    That must take ages seriously.
    What's your best time on it?
    My Journal

I think that looks a bit too much like Crossfit for most board members to jump at Chub but they look good to me haha.

1st WOD, how could you make sure everyone was using the same tyre?

One bar of death sounds painful, I'm not sure I could do 10x10 at 60kg OHSquat just yet haha.
    My Journal

Good- Haha I've never been able to do it as prescribed. Until recently I didn't have the OHS ability to work with the prescribed weight.

Tom- Yea, you're right. It might not garner the attention of too many people. As for the tire, you could always up the weight on the DLs and take it out to 15 reps. Because our gym is made up of a lot of .mil, LEOs and SF guys, we end up doing a lot of different things for our workouts. We've run some really good ones in the past, but we also have access to a wider range of equipment than most (many tires, sledgehammers, climbing ropes, bumper plates etc etc).

If y'all think you want to do a team workout, we've had some pretty good ones with that. We've done 2 and 3 man teams, so if that's something that interests y'all, LMK. I'm sure everybody could find a teammate to work with.

Yeah I've got a similar crowd for my box Chub, head coach is ex-SF and there are a few other army guys training as well.

I'll post up pics of our tyre flipping WOD on the coming Sunday haha.
    My Journal

100 kilo challenge

Most reps with 100 kilos in:

Squat
    OH Press (can be push press) (must be cleaned)
    Bench Press
    Deadlift
    Rows (back at or as near parallel as possible)
    ...she looked so much cuter with something in her mouth...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2140245

Banned
    Your best lift out of three attempts in:
    squat
    bench
    deadlift

in that order.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    squat
    bench
    deadlift

in that order.
    That seems familiar...

the 100lb carry sounds very interesting. Would it just have to be a backpack or bag? Could it be something with handles?
    Handles would kind of defeat the purpose - might as well be a farmers walk of some sort if you had them.
    I was thinking a sandbag, or rock, or ruck (not carried by handles or straps). Less rules the better - no handles and as soon as it touches the ground you're done. Best distance or time (if completed) wins.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Handles would kind of defeat the purpose - might as well be a farmers walk of some sort if you had them.
    I was thinking a sandbag, or rock, or ruck (not carried by handles or straps). Less rules the better - no handles and as soon as it touches the ground you're done. Best distance or time (if completed) wins.
    I'll second that. Bear-hugging or Shouldering for the win!

Just pick up the object and squat/run/press until you can do no more. Drop the weight and that's your score.

That also rhymes.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-08-2009 at 02:40 PM.
    My Journal

Max OHSQ or Max number of reps with %BW overhead squat.

Most weight snatched (or power snatched maybe) with one arm.

Highest box jump.

Most BW Squats (e.g. I would squat with 200lbs)

I like any/all of these. Instead of BW squats, though I'd make it something like 1.5 x BW and I'd set the longest hold of X weight at something standard, like 100lb DB's or something.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I'd beat you all at everything. No need for me to participate.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    squat
    bench
    deadlift

in that order.
    Jackass haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I like any/all of these. Instead of BW squats, though I'd make it something like 1.5 x BW and I'd set the longest hold of X weight at something standard, like 100lb DB's or something.
    Haha yeah 1.5BW is fine.. if you can squat that much . I think I could squeak bout... 1 rep?
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    My Journal

G'day Guys and Gals,
    OR
    hold 405lbs for X seconds. (could be more, this is a lot of weight for me but probably not a lot of other members on the board :P) would only need to be lifted from high rack pull so simply a test of grip strength.
    OR
    Largest amount of weight held for 30 seconds.
    i have actually thought of posting something like this before. i was at the gym last tuesday and after a heavy squat session decided to throw 225 on the bar and just see how long i could hold it. 32 seconds is what i got. i think it would be fun to see what times other people could put up with various weights too. just a suggestion but how about having different weight amounts based on what your max deadlift is? obviously someone who deadlifts 600 pounds is going to hold 225 for much longer than i can. but maybe my time would be more competitive with others whose max DL is close to mine. either way, im IN!
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.