The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar
    Squat Day Week 4 Ed Coan Periodized Routine

Raw Squat

305x8
    305x8

Speed Sumo Deadlift

245x3
    245x3
    245x3
    245x3
    245x3

Box Squats

225x3
    245x3
    255x3
    265x3
    275x3
    225x5

GHR

BWx15
    BWx15
    BWx15
    BWx15

Power Shrug

245x10
    335x8
    335x8

Thoughts

-tired, and tired as hell of my ****ty flexibility and horrible box squat strength, so i will pound them until i improve because i suck at them
    -feel like i got a good amount of work done though, i like the slightly jacked up volume, power shrugs were a nice finisher, i love that exercise

Strong stuff, man. Pulling away from me. Bastard.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

haha, you better step it up then man!

, jk

Strong looking session for sure
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

John 15:13 KJB

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

Thats a tough looking session man. In fact it looks hateful.

How many times do you actually squat a week with that program?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

yeah man, thats an intense session haha. How long were you at the gym for? It would've taken me at least 2 hours to do all that
    Current Raw Lifts:
    B:275 S:445 D:545
    1265 raw total
    My Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123789

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyWay2TheTop View Post
    Strong looking session for sure
    thanks my man

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Thats a tough looking session man. In fact it looks hateful.

How many times do you actually squat a week with that program?
    ha, i squat twice a week now. do some heavier work on this day and then some lighter work on my dl day

Quote Originally Posted by roots View Post
    yeah man, thats an intense session haha. How long were you at the gym for? It would've taken me at least 2 hours to do all that
    thanks man, i was there for about an hour and a half. part of that BS'in with the guy i workout with

Changes

I was on a ketogenic diet which was working fairly well for losing a few lbs and tightening up, but it was absolutely killing me in the gym. My strength has dropped off the table in a really bad way. For example, benching 275 for one felt as hard as benching 315 for one six weeks ago. Squatting 305 for 8 was harder than 335 for 10 which i did about a month ago.

I am cutting out of this program and getting my carbs back. I will not eat carbs at night or for my first meal on non workout days. On workout days i will eat moderately high carbs, lower fat numbers and high protein. On my non workout days, lower carbs, high protein and moderately high fat.

Hopefully it wont take long for the carbs to give me my juice back at the gym because im tired of feeling weak in the gym!

Nuttin to it but to do it Chalky Palms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
    lol, in grad school but im a little older than usual for grad school.

how about you?

and these numbers are nothing yet, gotta improve a lot to get to raw elite status!!!!!

I hear ya, I'm chasin that goal too. I just turned 22 last month. As long as I stay injury free I'd say I have a shot. Your journal is good motivation so far.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Best Raw Lifts- B 315 S 405 D 555
    Workout Journal

Hopefully it wont take long for the carbs to give me my juice back at the gym because im tired of feeling weak in the gym!
    Me too. I have been having the same trouble. Squatting exposes this the most I think.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Kenny,

Can't wait to see what you do on a different diet. This is going to be a fun journal to follow
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky Palms View Post
    I hear ya, I'm chasin that goal too. I just turned 22 last month. As long as I stay injury free I'd say I have a shot. Your journal is good motivation so far.
    word, similar goals ftw! lets see who can get there first haha

thanks man, glad to be able to provide some motivation, even if it is a little bit

Me too. I have been having the same trouble. Squatting exposes this the most I think.
    killer man, its brutal. i felt like i lost 25 percent of my strength. why are your carbs low? diet or just unable to get in the food?

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Kenny,

Can't wait to see what you do on a different diet. This is going to be a fun journal to follow
    haha, thanks brotha.

if today was an indication, big things. i felt a LOT better today, see next post

DE Bench

Paused Speed Bench

185x3
    185x3
    185x3
    185x3 with chains
    185x3 with chains
    185x3 with more chains
    185x3 with most chains
    185x3
    275x1

CGBP

225x5
    225x5
    225x5

Dead Hang Chinups

+45x6
    +45x6
    +45x6
    +45x6
    +45x6

Floor Skullcrusher

Ez Bar + 70x12
    Ez Bar + 70x12
    Ez Bar + 70x12
    Ez Bar + 70x12

Chest Supported Tbar Row

2 plates + 25 x 10
    3 plates x 10
    3 plates x 10

Thoughts

-feel sooooo much better with carbs back in the mix
    -strong on bench, was snapping the weight up, speed was super fast, could have easily gone much heavier, ALSO chains weight 15lbs per side, top set had 3 per side
    -cgbp was taken light as my tricep was bothering me a good bit since i have been sleeping on it kinda badly lately
    -chins were nice and easy, working my way back into this exercise, will increase next time
    Last edited by Kenny Powers; 06-17-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Strong stuff in here Kenny, nice DE session.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Looks like big things are coming for you mate
    "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends"

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks"

Philips Brooks

I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 1500 is a lifetime goal for me, lol. Impressive chins and everything else in this latest workout.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 06-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Great work, man.

I hate seeing people get real work in while I deload. Boo that.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

To echo the others, that does look like a tough session. Impressive chins!!

I am dropping carbs very low on non WO days and just taking them in moderately on WO days. I am trying to shed some lard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Strong stuff in here Kenny, nice DE session.
    Looks like big things are coming for you mate
    thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    I subscribed. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 1500 is a lifetime goal for me, lol. Impressive chins and everything else in this latest workout.
    thanks man, and its a lifetime goal for me too haha, im about 250 lbs off right now so im not exactly knocking on the door haha

ill check your journal out as well

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Great work, man.

I hate seeing people get real work in while I deload. Boo that.
    haha, be jealous fool! jk,

To echo the others, that does look like a tough session. Impressive chins!!

I am dropping carbs very low on non WO days and just taking them in moderately on WO days. I am trying to shed some lard.
    appreciate it flynn

how is that working out for you so far? the diet was effective as hell for me in dropping some fat but i was just done for strength gains, had nothing

on another note my hips are really starting to give me some serious problems. i have had extremely tight (and i mean, extremely tight) hips and awful flexibility for a long time. it has resulted in a mutitude of issues, including not being able to hit depth with ANY stance without considerable hip pain and discomfort.

additionally, it has resulted in some inflammation in my lower back and resulted in some weakness in my deadlift and squat and associated assistance exercises

i will be making a few changes because this trash needs to be fixed.

-i will be doing an intensive foam rolling program, dynamic stretching and static stretching once a day as well as some band work for my hips

-i will make a concerted effort to maintain proper posture at all times and also be concious of being in better position while sitting at my desk at work

-worst of all, i will be dropping all freeweight squats and do everything to a box to learn to sit back and maintain proper posture and slowly improve flexibility

-initially, the box will be higher than parallel, since i am physically unable to reach depth without pain in my hips, today we found that i could get just under 2 inches above parallel (not even close to a quarter squat, still much deeper than that) and use that as a starting point

-ill be focusing on proper form, a wider powerful stance and pushing my knees out, sitting back and keeping my chest up

HOPEFULLY, the above changes will teach me better balance and improve my flexibility allowing me to make better gains in time as i will not be held back by my flexibility issues. My chiro buddy tells me that foam rolling will take about 2 to 3 weeks to take effect, so hopefully within a month i will be making some pretty positive changes. I will be recording some of these sets and post them for feedback.

Its going to be a long road, but considering how much of a tremendous pain that this has been for quite a while, its time to fix this issue once and for all. When im done, ill probably be stronger, more flexible and ready to get after that 500 lb raw squat!

I also had issues with hitting depth on the squat and dynamic and static stretching should help you tremendously. Seems like you'll get it sorted out pretty quick.

Philips Brooks

Squatting form in general is a difficult task, not everyone does it right, even the more experienced lifters still have trouble to this day. For me I don't really get a great "feel" when I squat. I'll sure as hell get a good workout, but somedays I don't feel my muscles driving, like I can feel my chest, shoulders, lats, and tri's working together on bench press.

Work on that stretching, a lot of people don't do it often, me included. I used to get into it consistently, but only for a month, then I would slack off.

If you can work on it for a long time, it should come, and since you're main focus is to prevent injury and improve your Squat, you should be rather consistent with it.

Nice lifting BTW.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

I also had issues with hitting depth on the squat and dynamic and static stretching should help you tremendously. Seems like you'll get it sorted out pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Squatting form in general is a difficult task, not everyone does it right, even the more experienced lifters still have trouble to this day. For me I don't really get a great "feel" when I squat. I'll sure as hell get a good workout, but somedays I don't feel my muscles driving, like I can feel my chest, shoulders, lats, and tri's working together on bench press.

Work on that stretching, a lot of people don't do it often, me included. I used to get into it consistently, but only for a month, then I would slack off.

If you can work on it for a long time, it should come, and since you're main focus is to prevent injury and improve your Squat, you should be rather consistent with it.

Nice lifting BTW.
    right on guys. i think ive got a pretty good little routine setup here with some foam rolling, band work and static stretching. im feeling looser and better already. i know given a few weeks the changes will be huge

Squat

Box Squat, ~3 inches higher than parallel

225x8
    245x8
    265x5
    285x5
    315x3
    275x5 (lower box, 2 inches higher than parallel)
    225x8

GHR

BWx15
    +25x12
    +25x12
    +25x12
    +25x12
    BWx30

Thoughts

-squat felt better, did a decent job sitting back, still had some reps that were coming forward too much, but have good eyes from training partners to keep me in line
    -lower box squats were tough to get to with sitting back, but my flexibility keeps improving so im sure it will feel great next week
    -ghr tore up the hammies, good stuff

nice work. Do you plan on competing raw for a while, or do you eventually want to add gear ?
    Current Raw Lifts:
    B:275 S:445 D:545
    1265 raw total
    My Journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123789