The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is it possible to injure your back with these type of weight plates?

Not sure what the proper name of these types of weights are. I want to say octagonal or hex plates but they have more than eight sides... hopefully that gives you a picture of what type I'm talking about.

Do you have a higher probability of "tweaking" your back with these types of plates when doing deadlifts?

I try and get them locked in place on the bar but they always have a tendency of moving. Someone I spoke to said a buddy of his injured his back doing deadlifts with these types of weights -- and I can see why since they have a tendency of shifting when you place the bar back into starting position.

I know they have bumpers for these to make the plates round, the gym I'm going to does not have them. Do all you need is two bumpers (one for each side -- it will lift the weights slightly off the ground, correct?) or do I need one for each individual plate?
    Last edited by fpr; 06-10-2009 at 06:21 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I know what you're talking about and they do suck for deadlifting. Tweaking your back is going to be a form thing really, so if they move around enough that they break down your form, then you're going to have to make sure you "reset" yourself for every rep so you're not out of position.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Thanks for the reply. I have tried deadlifting once or twice with these types of weights and I could tell that it was definitely breaking down my form.

Any idea what the name of the bumpers that go over top the plates are called? I type in rubber bumpers and such and all I get are rubber plates.

Banned
    The bumper plates you're talking about typically aren't used to raise the other plates off the ground. If you're going to pull with bumpers, you'll want more bumpers than steel or you take the chance of splitting the bumper plate. You could also pull off the lowest pin in the power rack if it seems to be an issue. Personally, in the past I've just made sure the points of the plates don't line up so that they have less chance to throw me off in the bottom of the lift.

Banned
    See if they have any regular plates and stick one of those on first. I know exactly what you are talking about and it sucks, but I think the added chance of injury is fairly low. Higer probably, but you still run a risk of something like tapping uneven with a regular bar anyway. Just keep as good of form as you can and you should be fine.

But I woudl try to get the inside most plate to be "normal" if possible. This should help a little bit with your issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    The bumper plates you're talking about typically aren't used to raise the other plates off the ground. If you're going to pull with bumpers, you'll want more bumpers than steel or you take the chance of splitting the bumper plate. You could also pull off the lowest pin in the power rack if it seems to be an issue. Personally, in the past I've just made sure the points of the plates don't line up so that they have less chance to throw me off in the bottom of the lift.
    Why wouldn't you want them to line up? Wouldn't it be an even surface if they were?
    Last edited by fpr; 06-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Wouldn't you want them to be aligned?
    No, because the bar's never going to hit the ground the same every time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fpr View Post
    Why wouldn't you want them to line up? Wouldn't it be an even surface if they were?
    He uses enough plates that he can get away with this

My school gym has those too. They also have normal circular plates and luckily they are larger then the ones with straight edges. I put those on first and then use the others and I'm fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    No, because the bar's never going to hit the ground the same every time.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by fpr; 06-10-2009 at 07:32 PM.

My gym has both those and regular plates. Do you reset in between reps? I find that I'm ok as long as I reset in between reps.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

I use those too, just reset after every lift and you'll be fine my friend, like Ben said make sure the points of the plates dont line up. I got used to them, if its a problem you can always do rack pulls.

Yeah got the same thing at my gym and it can be a bitch. I just try and focus on reseting between reps.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

I trained with plates like that for over a year. It made me strong off the floor since everything is a slight deficit.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Im not really understanding why you wouldnt want the points to line up on the plates. It would be an even pulling surface. Wouldnt the plates just slide back to the flat side of the plate on the ground after a rep or two any ways?