Thread: What am I doing wrong? Feel no strain on muscles after working out

Wannabebig Member

What am I doing wrong? Feel no strain on muscles after working out

This is the routine I did last night. Im beginning weight lifting, just wanna get bigger arms for now.

bicep curl stand 10 1 1 1 weight 27-28lbs dumbbell

chair tricep pull up 14-16 1 1

chair bicep 10 reps 1 1

bed tricep pushups 40reps 1 1 (I would just put my arms on my bed with one leg in the air and push up)

I was unable to lift anymore after this routine, my bicep muscles just could not do it. Now I feel no strain on my muscles at all and could do it again. I drank 3 glasses of milk after i was finished and before that I ate some steak.

Combine the workout above with more milk and heavy ass squats, it'll work...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Don't squats primarily workout the legs? I just have two 25lbs dumb bells for squats. Its like this was just a wasted workout, my muscles don't grow I remember trying to do more when doing this routine and my biceps had an intense pain if I so I decided it was time to stop. No results at all,no strain in my biceps at all right now.

I figured you can get results just using dumb bells can't you? It's just annoying that this ends up happening all the time.

Your body is just getting used to the workout. In order for a workout to be productive, it has to get heavier and heavier and heavier. In other words, you have to do more work.

Working the legs with exercises like squats and deadlifts will send a powerful message to the body to GROW. That will in turn cause your arms to grow because the body wants to grow in balance.

Given your limited equipment, I'd do the following:

Bulgarian split squats - 3 sets of max reps
    1 arm Dumbbell row - 3 sets of max reps
    Bar dips between chairs - 3 sets of max reps
    Stiff leg deadlifts - 3 sets of max reps
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 3 sets of max reps
    Pull-ups - 3 sets of max reps (go to the playground if you have to)

Try to get more reps every time you workout, preferably three times a week.

Start saving your money for a gym membership or better weight training equipment. You are only going to get so far with what you have available right now.
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-08-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

this has got to be a joke

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    this has got to be a joke
    I don't think it's a joke, I just think his current routine is very, very, very poor for his goals of wanting bigger arms. Heck, haven't we all slaved away with dumbbells in our bedroom when we were young lads? Didn't we all think we were going to look like Arnold from doing concentration curls - lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Heck, haven't we all slaved away with dumbbells in our bedroom when we were young lads? Didn't we all think we were going to look like Arnold from doing concentration curls - lol
    lol yup i've been there.

OP - one common misconception that many beginners have is that you will get huge just from doing arm movements. you should be working on your whole body. so yes, working squats (and other muscle groups) will inadvertently aid other muscles, including your arms, in growth. has to do with hormone release and such. first off, i would get on a good, well rounded routine, you have more than enough options to pick from on this site. second, read read read and read about the nutritional aspects of lifting. if getting jacked were as easy as doing a bunch of dumbell curls i dont think muscle or supplement industry would exist
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Click the link at the top that takes you to the HCT-12 articles. Read them all. You will learn the correct way to train, the science behind it, the nutritional plan that will work, and the supplements that can help.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Obviously I agree that this is a bad routine and he should be doing a full body - but some people don't want to be big and do just want more muscle in their arms. Surely a bunch of isolation movements and a calorie surpluss would do this? Obviously you wouldn't get big at all but you would gain size on your arms right? Not majorly out of proportion (e.g. you won't have arms like Jay Cutler on a small body) but just a bit more muscle.

That was a question not a statement by the way

Also to the op - you need to work shoulders as they play a huge role in making arms look larger

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Also to the op - you need to work shoulders as they play a huge role in making arms look larger
    Haha...you just contradicted yourself.

Yes, you can work just the arms and make improvements. But you will make faster and better improvements if you work your whole body with big compound exercises. If a guy just wants to get his pump on for his arms, more power to him. But if it was that easy, we wouldn't have these guys coming here asking how to do it after the consentration curls failed to make their arms huge.

But back to your question...If all I wanted was to grow some [slightly] bigger arms, I'd be doing Bar Dips and Chin-ups. Those two exercises will work the arms better than a simple set of dumbbells and you'd have the added benefit of getting some work for the back, chest, and shoulders.
    Last edited by Off Road; 12-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Yes, you can work just the arms and make improvements. But you will make faster and better improvements if you work your whole body with big compound exercises.
    exactly, also i think by doing a routine that properly incorporates all the major muscle groups it "enlightens" the lifter to new exercises and ways of training. when i first got into lifting i did the whole curl jockey thing too, then i realized that there is definitely more functionality and aesthetics through properly working all the groups.
    Last edited by soclydeza; 12-09-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

I do HCT-12, which only has one day in a week where you do curls. Yet my arms have grown enough over the last year that that's what I get the most comments about. In the span of a whole week, my direct-arm work consists of a whopping 4 sets of curls. In a whole week. That's it. Yet the comments are about the arms. I wish I had known this years ago.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

I thought girls only cared about the upper back?? Must have been an article I read

My hct log probably shows me curling about 4times max in seven months, i did slack and dropped them but my arms have got much bigger

OP-You may enjoy doing it more if you do an entire body routine as well, obviously i cannot speak for you but it might not be something you have to get done for your arms but a good hour bustin' your ass.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

Wannabebig Member
    Your body is just getting used to the workout. In order for a workout to be productive, it has to get heavier and heavier and heavier. In other words, you have to do more work.

Working the legs with exercises like squats and deadlifts will send a powerful message to the body to GROW. That will in turn cause your arms to grow because the body wants to grow in balance.

Given your limited equipment, I'd do the following:

Bulgarian split squats - 3 sets of max reps
    1 arm Dumbbell row - 3 sets of max reps
    Bar dips between chairs - 3 sets of max reps
    Stiff leg deadlifts - 3 sets of max reps
    Dumbbell shoulder press - 3 sets of max reps
    Pull-ups - 3 sets of max reps (go to the playground if you have to)

Try to get more reps every time you workout, preferably three times a week.

Start saving your money for a gym membership or better weight training equipment. You are only going to get so far with what you have available right now.
    Im going to be trying this routine then, with no pullups though, the park near me has a monkey bar type thing but the bars to thick, Im probably going to buy a Chin up bar. I tried the bar dips but can't do them very well, they just hurt my hands and the chairs move. So I will take some things from this routine and incorporate it into mine.
    Last edited by Cassius55; 12-11-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Banned
    if you can, a gym membership will only benefit you

i did similar movements as described in your original post in like 2001. i took a routine from this very site that maki riddington made and just did exercises i could find on exrx.net... no real results after a few months.

in light of that, i think you should do what you can for now and eat clean. when you feel ready, move up to a membership and compound barbell movements. big arms have limited application.. big everything is universally respected.