Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My car has passed on...

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    Also, don't settle with the insurance company for less than totaled. There is no way a new engine and tranny are going to cost less than $1500 installed.. comical BS right there. Their motive is to cover your claim with the least cost for them.
    I edited this in. I'm sure one of the attorneys on this forum will chime in. The Uni will argue act of god in response to negligence. Negligence is defined as (offhand, correct me if I'm wrong):

1. defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff (you'll be hard pressed to show this)
    2. defendant breached that duty by failing to act with due care
    3. breach caused injury
    4. damages

In re: to #1, the commuter pass you purchased probably disclaims any and all warranty or claim to due care by parking on campus. I'm sure there is language to the effect of "blaa blaa blaa parking is done at your own risk, we are not liable for any damage yada yada yada." If you can show that they owed a duty of care by failing to maintain the drains which caused the breach, you will probably get damages. But how much is that going to cost for an attorney? Probably not worth it. But seriously, don't settle for $1500 from insurance, thats ridiculous.
    Last edited by twm; 06-12-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Insurance will not budge on the estimate. The only hope I have really, other than going after them in small claims, is to take the check and sell off parts for the difference.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

I towed my car home and as they tried to get it off the truck, we realized that the brakes had seized in the rear. So that tipped the insurance over and they are now totalling it. Looks like I'm in the market for a new car now. Had to take an additional student loan out for about 4800, but at least now I'll have about 8k to spend on something rather than 3k.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    I towed my car home and as they tried to get it off the truck, we realized that the brakes had seized in the rear. So that tipped the insurance over and they are now totalling it. Looks like I'm in the market for a new car now. Had to take an additional student loan out for about 4800, but at least now I'll have about 8k to spend on something rather than 3k.
    Congrats. Sucks about the extra loan, but it'll be worth it to find a decent used car rather than what you'd be able to get for 3K. Any idea what you want?

Any student loan is going to be lower interest than any car loan you would have gotten. You made the right choice and good that you got lucky and it ended up getting totaled. Now it comes down to what kind of car you want and how much you're looking to spend. Time to start a "What kind of car should I buy?" thread.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Any student loan is going to be lower interest than any car loan you would have gotten.
    Yeah. I wish I would've taken advantage of this when I had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    Congrats. Sucks about the extra loan, but it'll be worth it to find a decent used car rather than what you'd be able to get for 3K. Any idea what you want?
    I'm looking at like 00-04 Mitsu Eclipses, 01-05 Civics, 98-01 Honda Preludes, 00-05 Toyota Celica (less so on those), 95-98 Nissan 240SX..

I am still at heart the same 16 year old who loves the import tuners, even though now I would never spend thousands in upgrades. I'm liking the Eclipse idea right now, it's sporty enough with the V6 to be fun to drive, but still pretty big and comfortable.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

04 civic si

My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Don't get an Eclipse. They're pretty heavy cars for their size, slow, ****ty gas mileage, insurance is horrible.

If you wanna do some tuning, I'd recommend a 240sx, but only because I have one, lol. They have tons of potential when turbo'd. If you want something newer and reliable however, probably not a great idea.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

They're fast than my civic was, and they're a little larger and more comfortable. I'd like to get a 97-99 Eclipse turbo but there aren't many around here.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!