The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Question about rifles...

I'm thinking of getting a rifle in the semi-near future (aka once I have the funds). Now, I know military rifles (i.e. sniper rifles) have little to no recoil because the gas is buffered by a spring in the stock. Is this also true of civilian rifles? I mean, the M40A3 is based off the Remington 700 model, but I imagine they are vastly different. If these sort of things aren't available from the factory on civilian models, are there upgrades available in which to make them like them?
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It really depends on what type of rifle you want. Any M series weapon (Armalite or Colt or w/e) has a buffer spring in the stock, as do several other weapons platforms. This really does not do a WHOLE lot. The mean reason military rifles (M4's, m16's etc) do not have a lot of recoil is because of the low caliber of the round being fired. The M4 shoots a 5.56 (.223 civilian) which is basically just a .22L on steroids. If you don't want a lot of recoil, get a low caliber rifle.

The M40 that you are talking about shoots a 7.62x51 which actually does create quite a bit of kick. However, you won't feel much of that if you have the weapon stabilized on a bipod or fixed prone position.

So to answer your question, yes, you can have a buffer spring in your weapon, and yes, there are plenty of legal modifications you can make to a civilian weapon.

Civilian AR + Foreward Grip + Red Dot = ARMY issued M4.

Hell, you can go out and buy a Barret on the civilian side nowadays.

What are you looking to use the rifle for?

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Mostly target shooting, maybe hunting in the future.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Mostly target shooting, maybe hunting in the future.

Hunting what? This factors in as well.

The higher-caliber rifles have more recoil, are more expensive to target shoot with (expensive rounds), but will be a better investment if you plan on hunting larger animals down the road. My second rifle was a cheapish .30-06 with a scope and I still have it - love it.

Okla.2A State Track Champs weasel's Avatar
    What game might you be talking about hunting?

also a factor that should be considered is ammo prices and availability. If your game is deer-bear size a 30.06 is a good option (remington 700 is a good platform) , but if its rabbits,squirrel,target plinking your best bet is a .22LR due to ammo prices (marlin M60 or ruger 10/22)

Another good option for anything squirrel-coyote size is a .17HMR they are hellaciously accurate,aren't killer on the wallet,fun to shoot due to literally like no recoil savage has some pretty good ones out for cheap right now.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

I was looking at the Remington 700, just not sure what caliber. Thinking either 7mm or .30-06.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

.30-06 is the way to go in my opinion

I'd recommend .308 (7.62x51).

You can get surplus ammo or higher end loads if needed for hunting.
    Without progression, I am nothing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    I was looking at the Remington 700, just not sure what caliber. Thinking either 7mm or .30-06.
    Go 30-06, ammo I believe is cheaper.

.30-06 is more available,cheaper,can be used to kill up to bear size game,very accurate you cant ask for much more.
    “Your chances of success in any undertaking can always be measured by your belief in yourself.” - Robert Collier

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    I'd recommend .308 (7.62x51).

You can get surplus ammo or higher end loads if needed for hunting.
    +1

when in doubt of what caliber to use I pick what the military uses in case the SHTF I have a better chance of finding ammo

That's what I was thinking.. not necessarily the end of the world scenario but more than if the military uses it, it's for a a reason (theoretically).
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

The military used 30.06 as well. only reason they went .308 is it's lighter than 30.06

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock

Best sniper the world has seen. used the 30.06 in a model 70.

Military doesn't always choose the BEST weapon they do settle for being cheaper or lighter in some instances. I own both .308 and 30.06 and by far ESPECIALLY for hunting purpose i'd pick the 30.06 any time.

you can find 30.06 ammo basically ANYWHERE they are selling ammo. grain weights on the bullet up to 220grain (will knock a grizzly down)

Banned
    There's military surplus in 30-06 as well.

The Military doesn't really use .308. M4's, M16's, and M249's all use 5.56. 7.62 is only common in the m240b machine gun. Otherwise, its used in the M14 and M40, but those are specialty weapons and are not common.

Wannabebig Member
    The AR platform, the buffer system they use is just to buffer the bolt. It has NOTHING to do with recoil. The reason these rifles have little recoil is the fact that the bullet they are using is worthless, completely inneficient in everyway, and weak. It may be accurate, but thats about it.

For a first rifle, if you want something cheap to shoot, accurate, and decent. Go with a surplus rifle, like a Mosin Nagant for a bolt gun, or an SKS if you want an auto. Both are tack drivers, ammo is CHEAP and everywhere. Both are capable of taking down a deer. And are cheap enough to target shoot with.

I just bought 40 rounds of 7.62x39mm for $13. Thats cheaper than .17HMR, WAY cheaper than any .223, .308, or 30-06. Hell, its even cheaper than some .22lr ammo. And its always on the shelves.

Just avoid the Yugo if you get an SKS, the Mosin 91/30s are more accurate and lighter, while the M44 are shorter, but less accruate and more heavy.

Strength Training/Crossfit hardgainer13's Avatar
    the military always chooses the "lowest bidder" when it comes to their equipment...

once you know what you want, as with anything, be careful what brand of rifle you buy, you may end up paying more just for the name

Quote Originally Posted by Longslide View Post
    I just bought 40 rounds of 7.62x39mm for $13. Thats cheaper than .17HMR, WAY cheaper than any .223, .308, or 30-06. Hell, its even cheaper than some .22lr ammo. And its always on the shelves.

Just avoid the Yugo if you get an SKS, the Mosin 91/30s are more accurate and lighter, while the M44 are shorter, but less accruate and more heavy.

the days of "CHEAP" ammo are gone show e some cheap X39 available anymoer your buy was still $325 per 1K I buy my ammo in BULK i bought 5k when it was around $180 shipped per case. SKS are a great platform but they are getting way to costly.

yes the mosin is cheap and the ammo was cheap but it is drying up at an un-godly rate i bought a couple cases of it when is was between 60-80 a case. I own 3 mosins so i dont have much room to talk and say not to buy em.

lol i dont see where you figure X39 is cheaper than .22lr you can get bricks of .22 (500rnds) for less than twenty bucks , and if you were smart enough to stock up less than a year ago it was under $10 a brick.

bottom line is stick with a caliber thats redily available and will put down the game. X39 will drop deer I use my sks a ton for deer hunting and if it doesn't put them down it's very easy to double tap. but what are you going to do when you need to knock something bigger down? 125gr. aint gonna put down anything larger than deer reliably.

for plinking and target practice get a marlin model 60 .22lr. it's dirt cheap and will last forever , but for your hunting and large rifle get a 30.06 remington makes some good platforms but there are quite a few options out there depending on your price range.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    lol i dont see where you figure X39 is cheaper than .22lr you can get bricks of .22 (500rnds) for less than twenty bucks , and if you were smart enough to stock up less than a year ago it was under $10 a brick.
    Thats low quality bulk ammo. I'm talking about the good stuff, CCI Velocitor. You know what I'm talking about.

well seeing as how we are comparing the cost of cheap ammo i was stating cheap .22 ammo , and anyhow .22 is for plinking in my books no need for spending a ton on ammo you want precision move to a bigger more accurate caliber.

I sure can assume the X39 you bought for $13 sure wasn't Black Hills Match Grade 7.62x39.

Wannabebig Member
    No, it wasn't. And that cheap .22lr wont work in my HiStandard. I don't know why. CCI is the only thing it likes, and my Buckmark will only eat that cheap stuff.

i use bricks of cheap stuff all day in my marlins,rugers,handi-rifles,etc.... i never spend more than i have to just plinking and rabbit or squirrel hunting.

Georgia Boy
    Remington 30.06 and I absolutely love my rifle.