Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car has passed on...

My car has passed on...

Well, I'm out a car it looks like. Got a call from campus security today while at the gym requesting that I move my car because the lot had begun to flood (apparently, begun to flood means about a foot and a half of water). Car started fine but didn't do too well trying to get through the gigantic puddle of water. Insurance quoted $2000 worth of damage, which doesn't total it; value is $3000. Needs an entirely new engine and new interior. Have no money to buy another car, even a used one. Just put $1000 into it on Saturday for new tires and brakes. Not really sure what to do now, I'm kind of in shock because not only did I waste 1000 which could've gone towards a new car or you know, rent, but now I have no way to travel to school and especially my summer internship which is about 40 minutes from my house.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

Your insurance will not cover it?
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

They cover it. They are willing to give me 1500 (2000 - 500 deductible) to repair it. It's not worth repairing. I may take it to another dealer because I'm pretty sure to change out the engine and other components alone is way over $3000, which is apparently what the car is worth.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Kevin (StrongandFit.net)
    RIP

Seriously, sorry to hear about that--stinks that you'll have to go through the process of finding a new one.

That sucks. Are you in the northeast? We had some nasty weather this morning. Would not be surprised if a lot of people's cars got flooded.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Yes, I am in CT, and it was that weather this morning. I need to right a formal complaint to the school:

-Their drainage is not properly maintained
    -No warning was sent to students regarding heavy rains/flooding issues
    -No signs indicate flooding risk in that (or any) lot
    -According to multiple police security officers, this has happened before in this lot

I just don't know how to write a formal letter of complaint asking for money, yet still trying to be polite.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss .

What was her name?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Yes, I am in CT, and it was that weather this morning. I need to right a formal complaint to the school:

-Their drainage is not properly maintained
    -No warning was sent to students regarding heavy rains/flooding issues
    -No signs indicate flooding risk in that (or any) lot
    -According to multiple police security officers, this has happened before in this lot

I just don't know how to write a formal letter of complaint asking for money, yet still trying to be polite.
    No offense, but don't try to pass the buck. You're still responsible for where you park your car. You're reaching with the points you posted above. Even if you try to pursue that, you'd have to hire a lawyer to get anywhere.

I agree you're kinda reaching, but then again, it's worth a shot. See what they say, who knows?

You could always take the tires and wheels off, attach them to your own arms and legs, and roll around town.
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Moore View Post
    No offense, but don't try to pass the buck. You're still responsible for where you park your car. You're reaching with the points you posted above. Even if you try to pursue that, you'd have to hire a lawyer to get anywhere.
    Yeah, I'm responsible for parking my car in a legal spot in the commuter designated lot with a drain less than a foot from my car.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Could you just make your insurance claim and not get it fixed? Take the $1500 and put it towards another car?
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Yes, I can do that. But I'd rather have $3000 ($2500) to put towards another car.

Now this ******* insurance estimator will not total it. I told him Honda quoted me a price of over 5000 for the engine alone because they won't put in a used engine. His response was well the garage you brought it to will do it (it's a lube and tire place that I brought it to because I don't know any garages down here, but a friend of mine has used them before). So I told him no way would I have anyone put in a new engine besides Honda, and I'm still gonna need transmission, etc. His response is basically that well, that garage will do it, so tough ****.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

Its totaled. If the value is $3,000 they should total it. A new engine, tranny and labor will put you well over $2,000, no matter what car it is.

Keep fighting!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Yeah, I'm responsible for parking my car in a legal spot in the commuter designated lot with a drain less than a foot from my car.
    Did you buy a pass?

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post

You could always take the tires and wheels off, attach them to your own arms and legs, and roll around town.
    that would make for a Bitchin' ab workout
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Yes, I have a valid parking pass for campus.

If they don't total it, I will be selling the tires and anything else I can unbolt. The tires are BRAND new, bought them Saturday.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    www.craigslist.com ftw!

That really sucks though, bro. =\
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

If it were my car I'd be pretty pissed off too. Don't tell me everytime you park your car you carefully asses the spot for a potential flash flood zone..............
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    If it were my car I'd be pretty pissed off too. Don't tell me everytime you park your car you carefully asses the spot for a potential flash flood zone..............
    It figures you'd pop your head in here and pick out my post. Feeling inadequate these days? Need a good internetz fight to make yourself feel better?

I would pay good money to see some of the guys on this board square off with each other.

/hijack
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

It figures you'd pop your head in here and pick out my post. Feeling inadequate these days? Need a good internetz fight to make yourself feel better?
    My post was not meant to be an attack Ben, I was being serious. Lets not start this bull**** again, the boards have been pretty peaceful for the past few months.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Sue the school, they should have signs posted!

What make/year honda is it? Maybe try finding a honda enthusiast forum and parting it out on there... people on forums like that will buy almost everything. (at least that's been my experience with it) Other than that you can part it out on ebay/craigslist. Being a honda the parts will be more in demand than most other brands.

Best of luck to you man.

Trying not to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'd be pissed too but I doubt the owner of the parking lot is responsible for flooding of personal property due to weather beyond their control. Nevertheless, goto your student ombudsman at your university and make a rational, pleasant case describing the situation and how it affects you. They're there for you so if they don't see a way, you're SOL unless you want to sue the school. If you can show how imperative your transportation is to your success at school, they may be sympathetic and help you in some way. Also, don't settle with the insurance company for less than totaled. There is no way a new engine and tranny are going to cost less than $1500 installed.. comical BS right there. Their motive is to cover your claim with the least cost for them.

Also, I'm willing to bet the fine print of the commuter parking pass severely limits liability of damage to personal property.

www.whocanisue.com
    Last edited by twm; 06-12-2009 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I'd be pissed too but I doubt the owner of the parking lot is responsible for flooding of personal property due to weather beyond their control. Nevertheless, goto your student ombudsman at your university and make a rational, pleasant case describing the situation and how it affects you. They're there for you so if they don't see a way, you're SOL unless you want to sue the school.

www.whocanisue.com

Like I said, it's not the rain that really makes it their fault. Their drainage was not properly maintained, despite the lot having flooded before. The argument would be negligence on their part.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

lost the battle!