Thread: Last squat before Nationals 750lbs

Banned

Last squat before Nationals 750lbs

I know its a little high, im trying to break in this new squat suit (single ply centurion) and I only have a few days to do it! So here's my first workout in it, actually this is just my last rep with 750. The power is there, I think thats obvious, so im not worried about moving up the weight to hit depth, im just worried about the suit not allowing me to do so!

So, I would like any help on breaking in my new suit in like 5 days, lol..... It wont be me doing it, i'll have my friend do it for me, so give info if you can!

Other than that, feedback is cool. I know its high, but how much? Im thinking like 1.5-2.0 inches high, I know the video is a little choppy and its hard to see where my knees are, but heres the vid, Enjoy... or disgust, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHOJ8Jsoj8o
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 06-09-2009 at 11:06 PM.

1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar
    how high depends on what fed you lift in. i was expecting worse based on your description.

not that high if you are lifting apa or apf, but considering you are in single ply im guessing usapl. if thats the case, you need a couple more inches because with those fickle ass judges you gotta sink that sob to ensure 3 whites

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
    how high depends on what fed you lift in. i was expecting worse based on your description.

not that high if you are lifting apa or apf, but considering you are in single ply im guessing usapl. if thats the case, you need a couple more inches because with those fickle ass judges you gotta sink that sob to ensure 3 whites
    USAPL Nationals....... it will be tough. I think I need at least 2 inches. But I dont mind 2 white lights, thats all I need! lol.

I could push it even further down, but each second that passes I feel weaker, so i try to stay around that time frame, it will just take a few adjustments, i think its possible. Even if it takes 800lbs to get depth, I feel I have the strength for it, we'll see.

Edit- I went back and watched it again, but this time I increased the brightness to get a better look, and while im still not deep enough, its not as bad as I thought it was. Also, I dont know why its so choppy on youtube, its a MPEG4 and plays fine on my computer. Dunno...
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 06-10-2009 at 02:48 AM.

ahh USAPL nationals...for me it was either senior cruise to the Bahamas and lots of fun or trip to Denver that might have ended in disappointment. i choose the former haha. and ya, USAPL judges are bastards, especially the ones in Denver. when they had the collegiate meet there a year or two ago, there were disputes over the judges decisions on squat depth. i heard a few calls were so bad they were overturned. so ya, you're going to have to get you butt a lot lower than that. good luck man!
    Last edited by littleman19; 06-11-2009 at 02:45 PM.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Looking strong Jesse. USAPL is sooo strict. I think 800 will sink you deep enough. You definately have the strength.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #4 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 700/425/615
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Looking strong Jesse. USAPL is sooo strict. I think 800 will sink you deep enough. You definately have the strength.
    Thanks Brian. Im glad the strength looks good on video. The speed with 750 was pretty good, i mean I blew past where my usual sticking points are. I just hope I can get low enough.

My plan is to put on my old suit and nail 670ish, then put my new suit on and put 760 on, and depending on strength/depth go for 793-825 for a 3rd. I mean, i cant win 1st, and a 825 3rd would be an National Meet record, if no one else breaks it, but there are guys who might.

I cant imagine if the straps were tight.. i would never hit depth. anyways, what do you think of my plan?

Also, im not sure if its good or bad for depth, but the power rack I train in, doesnt allow me to get as wide as I would squat at a meet. I usually squat a little wider than the video.
    Last edited by Jesse Hernandez; 06-11-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    Also, im not sure if its good or bad for depth, but the power rack I train in, doesnt allow me to get as wide as I would squat at a meet. I usually squat a little wider than the video.
    ***** man, you're competing in nationals in a new suit you've barely trained in and you train with a different stance than what you compete with? that's quite the gamble. i'm mean, don't get me wrong, you're strong as hell, but that's definitely not the best recipe for success
    Last edited by littleman19; 06-11-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Weight: 160 (148lb class)
    Height: 5'6
    Powerlifting Journal

AWPC Worlds Teen Champ @ 148
    Squat 562 Beanch 319 Deadlift 507 Elite Total 1388

Gym records (Single-ply lifter)
    Squat 600 Bench 354 Deadlift 560

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by littleman19 View Post
    ***** man, you're competing in nationals in a new suit you've barely trained in and you train with a different stance than what you compete with? that's quite the gamble. i'm mean, don't get me wrong, you're strong as hell, but that's definitely not the best recipe for success
    your right, but as for the training, its all ive got available to me. I got 3rd at collegiates this year, using the same training as i do now and the judging will be just as strict, so I know I can hit depth in a national setting, the training variable wont effect me, its the suit. But its the same priniciple as a shirt, put more weight on and you can touch! I'll have 2 shots at putting some weight on and hitting depth, I like my chances. I'll be shooting for a 1900lb total, so im excited. I feel its worth the risk.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hernandez View Post
    your right, but as for the training, its all ive got available to me. I got 3rd at collegiates this year, using the same training as i do now and the judging will be just as strict, so I know I can hit depth in a national setting, the training variable wont effect me, its the suit. But its the same priniciple as a shirt, put more weight on and you can touch! I'll have 2 shots at putting some weight on and hitting depth, I like my chances. I'll be shooting for a 1900lb total, so im excited. I feel its worth the risk.
    Good luck, and I hope the suit works out well for you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Randall View Post
    Good luck, and I hope the suit works out well for you.
    Me too....... nationals isnt exactly the field of dreams.... but im going to give it all I have.