The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Best Training to Put on Mass

I have read quite much on training methods but sometimes these articles tend to be contradictive so I decided to post to know what do you think about the subject .

Basically, I am a bodybuilding beginner and I am 1.85 m tall and 74 kg heavy. As you can deduce from these, I am quite thin and my current aim is to put on mass.

Recently I have been using the Training to Failure method but this leaded to a lot of minor injuries.

So I decided to change method and I am currently of the idea (read it on Men's Health website) of doing 5 sets of 10 reps each. I try to use the weight load in order to start get tired by the 6/8th rep of each set.

Would this training help me or no?
    ----

Kryzhn

Success is derived from your will to achieve results

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I subscribe to Stuart McRoberts school of abbreviated training.

If you want to gain muscular weight F A S T concentrate on increasing your deadlift, bench press, and squat. This has worked wonders for me and I have CRAP genetics.
    Put on as much weight as possible on these exercises that you can lift with PERFECT FORM for a max of 8 reps. - You should fail on the 8th rep.
    I do 4 sets for these exercises on a given workout day and move to a different muscle group.

concentrate on the big lifts.... "BICEP CURLS DON'T GET YOU BUILT"
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

read super squats, beyond brawn and anything by doc ken, bob whelan, bill starr.

yup.... if you want to gain size gotta do the basic compound movements

Barbell presses
    Deadlifts
    Squats

Remember too, LIFT HEAVY with good form of course.
    There's a routine i'm sure you can find online by a fellow named Mike Parillo, it's a powerlifting(Mass) routine, works very well
    "Plan for difficulty when it is still easy, do the great when it is still small."
    -Tao Te Ching

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."
    -Confucius

Wannabebig Member

Beyond Brawn : The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle & Might

after reading F40 post, i searched on McRoberts on Amazon and found this book - Beyond Brawn : The Insider's Encyclopedia on How to Build Muscle & Might -

i read some reviews and this book seems ideal for me as it's directed to beginners.

thanks for your help guys
    ----

Kryzhn

All of this talk of lifting heavy and not one single person has mentioned HST.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Wannabebig Member

HST

what's this HST cue-ball?
    ----

Kryzhn

Hypertrophy Specific Training. You can learn more about it on www.thinkmuscle.com or www.hypertrophy-specific.com.

It's basically full body workouts, three times per week. The idea is that if you wait any more than 36-48 hours to retrain a muscle, it's no longer recuperating, but is simply stagnating and getting smaller. Several people have had really good luck with this system. I just started my first HST "cycle" myself, so i can't personally comment on how well it works. However; i'll be sure to let you all know how it worked for me in about 6 weeks. :-)

hst is good stuff

do a search for "super squats" also.

HST is really good stuff.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I also have crap genetics. Whats worked best for me is very low colume, high intensity training, based around WBB2 routine. Its a 3 workout split, lifting every other day. 2 exercises per body part, 2 sets per movement.

Of course you cannot gain respectable mass (or respect period) unless you concentrate on the big 3 movements.

Oh yeah, eat a lot of clean food, pansy.

I'd like some more info on HST, I;ve never heard of it before and it sounds intriguing.

Check out the links i posted earlier, Budiak. It's relatively new but has been getting some really good press lately. I'm giving it a shot now. We'll see how it works. But, so far, i really like it. And it has a lot of advantages over my previous, more "traditional" workout.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

For me HST=MEGA OVERTRAINING and getting smaller.
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

100% Pent Up Anger
    Is there a best way even? I don't know that for sure. We each have different strengths and weaknesses. That aside however, we are more alike than different in some respects. To get bigger you have to get stronger. Than means mixing high reps, low reps, compound movements (make these 90% of your workout), isolation movements and finding a split that works best for YOU. When you're younger and/or not quite as strong you can each bodypart 3 days per week. As you get older and stronger you don't recover quite as fast. Learn proper form so that you can feel the muscle working, but don't be afraid to experiment on the compound movements w/a little "body english" on your heaviest sets. My personal preference is to hit the heavy stuff first and finish the muscle off w/higher rep more isolated work.
    "You see clouds to the West, immediately you say, 'It is going to rain.' and it does. And when the South wind blows, you say, 'It is going to be hot.' Hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of the earth and the sky. How is it that you don't know how to interpret this present time? Why don't you decide for yourselves what is right?" ~ Jesus speaking in Luke 12:54-57

Originally posted by F40
    For me HST=MEGA OVERTRAINING and getting smaller.
    How were you overtraining using HST? And how long did you try it before giving up? I'm curious because i want to hear from both sides on this type of training. So far i've seen very few people not like the workout.

The whole idea behind HST is to grow without having to lift your maximum every workout. Not only does your CNS get less stress, but you end up only lifing your RM once every two weeks. Even though you end up doing full body workouts three times per week, you are supposed to limit yourself to one or two sets per exercise and one to two exercises per body part (and then only on large, compound groups).

I don't see how you could overtrain on this system unless you were trying to push too much weight and not following the method. But, i'm still a beginner so maybe more advanced lifters have problems with this type of workout? <shrug> I'm curious to hear your response. I'd like to know what exercises you were doing, how many, and how often when you tried HST.

i like high volume training concentrating on power lifts, and finishing up with more isolatory lifts. works for me