The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Working on my Bench form

I posted up some comments in another thread a few days ago about having lower back pain and neck pain while benching with an arch. So I got some better shots the other night during my DE Bench session. Did them without a shirt so you could really see my arch and neck position during the movement.

This video was my last set of 8x3 with 60% of my current 1RM. It was the best looking of all my sets and also felt pretty good. I wasn't going for speed here, just working on technique. Here's my thoughts on my current technique:

Arch: I noticed that my arch collapses/shrinks some right after I take the bar out. Is this normal or am I just seeing my lats expand? I tried engaging my glutes and abs before I even pull the bar out. This actually REALLY helped. It also helped me feel more stable with my leg drive, if that makes sense?

Neck: My chiropractor told me to "never bench with your neck pushing into the bench." So awhile back I started pushing the back of my head into the bench instead. I noticed something though in this video. My neck looks like it's moving up and down with the bar, while my head stays still. What the **** is this, and no ****ing wonder my neck always hurts after benching now. I like my chiropractor a lot and he's a good friend, but I don't think he knows what he is talking about here. I am going back to driving the base of my neck into the bench, where it won't shift around and strain. I think this will help stabilize my arch better too. Thoughts?

Bar Path: I've been working on driving the bar in an arc path from the base of my ribs to over my shoulders. I used to drive the bar in a more straight path. The arc feels fine now, but I noticed it feels more strained than my old path. Is this normal? I am thinking of going back to the straighter path because I'm not really liking the arc that much. I feel like when I really drive hard, the bar starts to drift back towards my face, where I cannot control it as well. Thoughts on this?

Feet: I still haven't decided where exactly I want my feet. I watched a vid the other night where Tate was saying to place your feet where you can drive your traps and neck back into the bench. Someone else on the forums was saying that you want to place your feet where you are not pushing yourself backwards. I'm a little confused. Honestly there has probably only been a handful of lifts where I REALLY felt my leg drive work for me, and when it did, the weight flew up. I'd like to dial this in now. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Video
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

is there a reason your arching the bar path in the first place?
    i've never seen it done like that, so i don't know if it's incorrect or not, i usually try to stick to a much straighter path.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

I started doing it after I watched Elite FTS's Bench Index vid with Wendler. He talks about the Metal Militia bar path where they go in a path that is arched like that. Westside does the straight path he says. I thought I'd give it a shot. I think I'm done with it though. It really hasn't been working out too well for me, and I may be ****ing it all up anyhow.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

yeah, i don't see that being as effective for your chest. i'd imagine your arms would take a greater hit. good job though! keep it up!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    yeah, i don't see that being as effective for your chest. i'd imagine your arms would take a greater hit. good job though! keep it up!
    Bench is not a chest exercise for powerlifting, its shoulders/triceps/lats

I can't really comment, but are you trying to use leg drive? It looks likes it is all muscled of your chest, rather than pushed up.

Eugh, I re-read your post. So your trying to use leg drive? I get onto my toes with my feet tucked behind me and attempt press my heels down as I begin to press - but I find it very hard to think about unless someone coaches me to do it - and I don't think its working, so I'd like to hear about this too.

I think you need to use straighter bar path for raw benching M/M 's bar path is for shirted benching.
    Touch just below the nipple line and finish with the bar over your upper chest.
    I'm sure the top benchers will say the same thing.
    You should post footage of some max benching as your form may be different with heavy weight.
    Last edited by NickAus; 06-13-2009 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    I think you need to use straighter bar path for raw benching M/M 's bar path is for shirted benching.
    Touch just below the nipple line and finish with the bar over your upper chest.
    I'm sure the top benchers will say the same thing.
    You should post footage of some max benching as your form may be different with heavy weight.
    Bump
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Yeah I'd second this, post a 90%+ lift when you can as that's where form and technique breakdowns usually happen.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

No problem. I'll be hitting up DE bench tomorrow. I'll take it on up to a single with 90% near the end though. I will definitely go back to the straight bar path as well.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

DE bench is not going up to a 90% max single. It's suppose to be a speed bench day. Light and fast. To me, leg drive does not come naturally. You have to be tight everywhere as soon as you take the weight and try to explode with legs on the press command. Drive your heels toward the floor.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Thanks. I understand how DE and ME days work. It is not going to hurt me to take it up to a single at 90% for one little DE day.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

NO, it isn't gonna hurt your one little DE day. IT IS gonna hurt your CNS and your next ME day. But you gotta get that video right. No sence in waiting an extra 3 days to get your one little video.

Yeah...I am not worried. You do not know me and you do not know my CNS. Please get back on topic, thanks. I'll go ahead and not bother with my single tomorrow. The sour reception from newbs at these forums lately regarding questions has been...annoying and a waste of my time. I do not feel like putting up with it, so forget about the video, because it would no doubt spawn more trolls to critique things that are irrelevant. For your information, regular bench is not in my cycle right now. Floor press is. So it wouldn't be 3 days, it would be more like 3 weeks. I will go back to my journal. I get better help there. L8.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Gain weight! It helps your bench.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Request to mod to lock thread, please. Not interested in further responses.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

It's closed.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers