The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar

Quick programming question for my bench assistance day

Hey guys, i am training on an Ed Coan periodized four day routine. Squat, bench, deadlift and bench assistance.

Right now i have a basic set of exercises i am using for bench assistance, but now that i have access, i want to incorporate two board presses to aid with my sticking point in raw bench.

Here is what i do on these days

MP (periodized)
    Speed Bench
    2 Board
    Tricep Work
    Power shrugs

I am trying to figure out whether i should do two board BEFORE or AFTER the speed bench because MP will be first in the rotation.

Right now i am leaning towards after, since i really wont be fatigued by the speed bench and it can be used as a type of warmup for 2 board.

Opinions?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

if you are planning on maxing out on your 2 board, i would suggest that you do that on your regular bench day and NOT on your assistance day. Also you don't need to warmup for anything except your first excersise. also if you are sticking midrange, maybe you could try some floor presses. i wouldn't do any 2 brd. on this day. throw in some upper back stuff. you could even do banded floor presses as your speed work.

I agree the 2-bd should be on the heavy day not the accessory day. Most people can't bench heavy twice a week, and that's what'll happen if you add 2-bd to the accessory day. I think you'd get more mileage from adding lat work and dumbbell bench to your accessory day. Also, I'd speed bench before the MP. Bench is your focus. Always do your most important movement first.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I agree with the above that the heavy board or floor presses should be done on a Max bench day after your ME bench, not speed day. Also, why do one exercise for back on a bench day? I would recommend a day divoted just to back, if you have the time.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

It should go on the bench day, not the bench assistance, but just make sure it fits within the perodization, otherwise you'll end up overtrained

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I disagree with you guys because I train diferent. If you are going to work speed work and heavy boards the same day do your speed work last. Bench only guys can get away doing this because they are not beating themselves up as much as fullpower guys.

but since you are following Ed Coan's training program I would try to make contact with him and see what he recomends. He trains ad Quads gym in Chicago.
    Last edited by Rob Luyando; 06-12-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barbell01 View Post
    if you are planning on maxing out on your 2 board, i would suggest that you do that on your regular bench day and NOT on your assistance day. Also you don't need to warmup for anything except your first excersise. also if you are sticking midrange, maybe you could try some floor presses. i wouldn't do any 2 brd. on this day. throw in some upper back stuff. you could even do banded floor presses as your speed work.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I agree the 2-bd should be on the heavy day not the accessory day. Most people can't bench heavy twice a week, and that's what'll happen if you add 2-bd to the accessory day. I think you'd get more mileage from adding lat work and dumbbell bench to your accessory day. Also, I'd speed bench before the MP. Bench is your focus. Always do your most important movement first.
    thx guys. i dont train westside so i dont have a ME day persay. i follow the ed coan periodized bench program that has me doing bench, close grip, and incline as well as tricep assistance.

my back is my strongest bodypart and i train back movements in the coan phillipi deadlift program on a different day

i probably should have specified, im not really trying to max out on the 2 board. id probably work up to a comfy 5rm and try to slowly improve from there. but point taken about not overworking myself.

however, that would be the only compound exercise taken close to failure that day.

additionally, on the subject of floor presses, those have always caused me considerable discomfort in my left elbow so i tend to avoid them. they are very rough on my joints compared to basically any other lift.

2 board causes none of these problems and i like it better because i am able to press out of my natural arched bench position and imo this makes it carryover better to the actual competiton lift as opposed to a flat backed press like floor press.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I agree with the above that the heavy board or floor presses should be done on a Max bench day after your ME bench, not speed day. Also, why do one exercise for back on a bench day? I would recommend a day divoted just to back, if you have the time.
    i do have a day devoted to back on my cp deadlift day. i do deficit dl, rdl, bb rows, chins, and reverse hypers

i do close grip and incline after my bench on my bench day bc thats how its setup in the coan program which i have had success with

also, i add in the powershrugs because i find that they are very effective in helping my deadlift and they dont really fit on my deadlift day. i only do a couple sets and its been helpful so far in really solidfying my lockout

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    It should go on the bench day, not the bench assistance, but just make sure it fits within the perodization, otherwise you'll end up overtrained
    right on, will have to see how it goes in terms of fatigue. i may try to do some form of periodization for the 2 board so i dont burn out

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    I disagree with you guys because I train diferent. If you are going to work speed work and heavy boards the same day do your speed work last. Bench only guys can get away doing this because they are not beating themselves up as much as fullpower guys.

but since you are following Ed Coan's training program I would try to make contact with him and see what he recomends. He trains ad Quads gym in Chicago.
    will do with the speed work, ill throw the speed stuff at the end, before tricep specific work.

i may try to contact him to ask him what to do.

right now my plan was only to do one moderate workset with a paused 2 board to build up some pop at that ROM, but i will take all suggestions into consideration for sure

THANK you all very much for your help, and feel free to add more. It all helps
    Last edited by Kenny Powers; 06-12-2009 at 08:11 PM.

You can definitely afford to work your lats twice a week. If you're failing at a 2-bd, then your lats are not a strong point.
    www.wildirongym.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    You can definitely afford to work your lats twice a week. If you're failing at a 2-bd, then your lats are not a strong point.
    thats certainly possible. In my case im almost certain its an issue of tricep strength and not lats, though adding in a little extra lat work is something i have considered and its a pretty good suggestion

thanks man, and nice vids for your training crew as well

Thanks Kenny. I don't think you can go wrong with more lat AND more tricep work for raw bench. I don't think you'll ever see a big raw bencher that doesn't have a wide upper back and big arms (upper arm size is mostly tricep).
    www.wildirongym.com