The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Full dynamic warm ups.

Hi.

What are you guys doing for your warmups? I've been warming up for my weights, with weights. I've just recently picked up Magnificent Mobility as well as Defranco's Super Strength, and they both go through completely different dynamic movements to get the results. I'm going to start doing a full ten minute warm up before my sessions, mainly due to my hips getting tight and my lower back hurting while standing up throughout the day - and some other back niggles that are all linked to hip flexors.

I try to read everyone's journals and not alot of people even list a warm up, so I'm wondering how many people bother with it - and why not?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Joint Mobility->Foam Roller->(Tennis Ball if really knotted up)->Static Stretch->Pushups->Sledgehammer Swings->Jump Stretch Shoulder Work

Video

Video
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-13-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

I've started doing more warmup after having some issues. I do some tire drag to increase heart rate and blood flow. Then I do some basic dynamic warmups. Then I do some stretching. I remember reading awhile ago that you don't want to stretch muscles when they are cold, so I go in that order.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I like the IDEA of dynamic warm-ups and I've seen many warm-up routines from many S&C coaches, mobility gurus, etc. - most of them leave me exhausted! Who the hell wants to be exhausted before moving into training?

All of my warm-ups for every sport I've ever been associated with as an athlete or coach were basically some sport specific drills with stretching interspersed throughout.

If an athlete or a group of athletes have specific needs that must be addressed, then fine, but otherwise I think a lot of those programs are overkill. They're designed to be like that, because:

#1) Most people have no clue what they are doing in the gym and need a step by step approach that they don't have to think through

#2) Needs for individuals vary and the program is trying to cover as many contingencies as possible
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'm going to agree with your on all points Sensei, but rather than including ALL warmups like the Parisi Speed School method something similar to Defraco's training.

For lower I'm looking at;

Cat/Camal (lower back)
    Bent leg Iron Cross (hips)
    Side torsion twist (Hips)
    glute bridges (Glutes,ham,lowerback)
    Lying Leg kicks (Ham/glutes)
    Roll back into Hamstring V stretch (Lowerback, ham/glute)
    Fire Hydrants (Hips)
    Possibly Single leg mountain climbs then into two leg jumps (Hips)
    Then ending with an explosive CNS stimulant like a box jump

I can't see that going over board, but as I progress I'll change movements for more complicated ones. I've yet to watch Inside Out for upper body stuff, but I can't see it going too complicated. Having said all of this, I know VERY little about it all - I have no reference's for proving its beneficial or detrimental, none that I've researched myself (Aside from the mobility dvds, no actuall text) so I'd like some articles too if anyone has some bookmarked.

This is an area that I put a lot of focus on. I ALWAYS do 5-7 minutes on a cybex arc trainer, go through a stretch routine, and on my squat & deadlift days I incorporate some dynamic flexibility work into warm up routine. It would probably be overkill for most but I know I need it. When I've tried to bypass it I end up getting hurt. I seem to need it more now (at almost 39) then I did when I was in my 20's.

I incorporate "SOME" of the things I found here http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/ot/...ditioning.html

As Sensei illuded to - you don't want to do something that leaves you exhausted and you need to cater your warm up to your needs. Risk - it looks like you have a good warm up program for you. If anyone has any links to materials they have utilized it would be cool to see them. I've found a few others but didn't book mark them.

In my short time in powerlifting I have been fortunate to see a couple national level lifters compete and they didn't do anything special other than a progressive build up in weight. I know that doesn't work for me but it seems to work for the majority.
    Last edited by fulldaddy; 06-14-2009 at 08:19 AM.