The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Need a Change!

Gym Rat

Need a Change!

I have been working out consistently for the past 2 year with maybe a week or two break total.

Since December 5th I have been on and every other day schedule and lifting heavy. According to replies on my other thread (Rountine), I have been overtraining.

Debating on a new routine:

1) low volume / high intensity

2) HST....

Should I take a break from the gym before starting the new routine? If so, for how long?

How long do you guys stay on a rountine and how long do you break for?

My number one goal is MASS! I am trying to eat a lot (not too much fat) and I do cardio every now a then to keep the blood running. Not enough Protein is my downfall.....but I am trying and the last week has been good.

thanks guys

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

We don't know you are overtraining because we don't know if you are getting stronger.

IF you need a break, a week is usually nice, but it depends.

I stay on a routine until I stop progressing.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gym Rat
    This is the rountine I have been using since Dec. 5th:

I am 5'7-5'8 and 158-160lbs. Don't know my %body fat, but I only have fat in my stomach area.

day1 = chest (22-24 sets)
    day2 = off (sometimes cardio/abs)
    day3 = bis/back (20 sets each)
    day4 = off (sometimes cardio/abs)
    day5 = legs (25-30 sets)
    day6 = off (sometimes cardio/abs)
    day7 = shoulders/triceps (20 sets each)
    day8 = off
    **start routuine over again.....using different exercises but the same set count.....usually lift heavy (4-6 reps), once in awhile throw in a high rep set (8-12 reps).....lifting to gain size and mass, try to eat alot and slack on my protein.

Some say this is too much......

I just feel as if I am getting nowhere right now. I think I will take the week off (Sunday 4/14- Sunday 4/21). I went to the gym today 4/16 after 5 min of warm up on the step machine, my knee started hurting (has been hurting for a week now), and since today was LEGS....I decided to leave.

I will start back the gym on Suday 4/21. Should I weigh myself and measure (bis, tris, chest, quads) before I start the new rountine, so that I can track my progress.

Will I loss any size or gain too much fat by taking the week off....I here it good to take a week off every 10-12 weeks.

Would you recommend going with a HST workout or a LOW Volume/High Intensity workout for the next 10-12 weeks? My main goal is to gain mass/size. I want to do Cardio/Abs at least 3x a week, is that okay? People at my gym tell me that I will never gain size without gaining a little bit of fat.

Maybe if you have the time you could reply with a solid workout for me to try. Sorry for all the questions, but after the week off (which will destroy my ego) I want to go on a solid workout from someone with who has been in the game for awhile.

Can you also recommend a good creatine? I use Cell Tech, but it is $$$$ and I feel so bloated from amount you have to drink.

Thanks Paul

A week off won't hurt you a bit.

I would suggest you take the week and think about exactly what you want to accomplish, set out some goals, and go from there. My latest article on wannabebig.com talks about settin gup a routine... assuming you are pretty young, you can probably handle some volume.

Set your routine up in a manner that fits your schedule, based around the 6 lifts in the article. Add stuff as you see fit. Some folks like the wbb routine, some like Max-OT, some like more volume, some like HST, etc, etc.

yes, in order to gain muscle, you'll have to gain a little fat, too. How much depends on your diet.

Cardio 3x a week is fine, just don't overdo it. Train your abs like any other muscle.

Set up your routine so you can trak progress via the number of reps you do and the weight on the bar. Keep a log. Gotta get stronger to get bigger.

Now... once you set out some goals, and think about how you would like to arrange your routine, post it or PM it, and we'll tweak it if there are any glaring weaknesses...

Remember, this is about progression and hard work. If you have those two things, pretty much any well rounded routine will work.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Gym Rat
    Thanks a bunch Paul.

By the way I am 22 years old. I have been lifting heavy for the past year or so. I read a lot and ask many people for suggestions i just have trouble coming up with a number of Excersises and reps per set per body part.

I change the excersises I do every week -- training each body part once a week (except abs 3x a weeks) I do pullups everytime I am in the gym (sometimes w/ weight -- most of the time without, because i do them often.

I read that the WBB rountine is more for beginers, is that true?

I keep hearing this low volume/high intensity.....can you elaborate on that (be more specific on the sets, exercises, reps)

I may go w/ that routine for 10 weeks (measure myself before I start) then take a week off and go with a HST rountine, I heard the HST is good for hypertrophy (size right?)

I am just stuck and need some direction, you seem to be the man around here, so you construtive critisisum is much appreciated.

thanks bro!

Cottage cheese addict LiftAgain's Avatar
    I think your workout schedule looks good but volume extremely high. 20 sets for triceps, 20 sets for biceps and 20 sets for shoulders.. 30 sets for legs..etc etc??? Looks like overkill to me, even if you are young.

You say you feel like you are getting nowhere and IMO that is a sign that you are indeed overtraining. Cut down drastically on volume and I'm sure you'll start to progress again.

Paul gave some good advice. Keeping a log etc is essential to monitor progress and see what works. When you start to progress you know you are on the right track.

There is no need to change every week - you need to keep at it to track your progression.

Sets and reps are a bit much for me to do online - it's best if you come up with that using the general framework.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

If you decide to do HST you'll definitely want to take a week off. Then, use the first week back in the gym to find your 15/10/5 RM's, then start the program the following week.

Besides, taking a week off can really do you some good if you've been hitting the gym hard for a while. It re-energizes you and by the time the week is over you'll be really jonesing to get back in there and push some iron.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

22 sets for chest? that might be a little much for your size, i am 22 and i go up in strength every week, granted i weigh 225 and am 5'11", but i only do 16 sets, you can look at my journal if you wish.
    Don't just call me pessimist. Try and read between the lines. I can't imagine why you wouldn't Welcome any change, my friend. I wanna see it all come down. suck it down. flush it down.