Thread: DaD what do i do?

DaD what do i do?

i didn't know where the best place to post this was but i thought it would be best here. Anyway being relatively skinny over the past years, now 18 i decided to do something about my weight in december, and get into bodybuilding and quit soccer, my dad was sceptical then but only discretely, suggesting that i wasnt made to have big muscles and that i took after my mum.

Now in april and nearing 19 ive started to bulk up, and im feeling great loads of people are commenting at uni on the gains ive seen, but now my dad has gone nuts, and is trying to stop me from training, personally i feel hes jelous, but hes now started jibing on about the amount of food i consume and what its costing him and that hes suggesting that any1 wanting to bodybuild is mental, hes even threatened to stop my gym membership (which i pay for anyway) i feel like ripping him to pieces, what do i do?

i feel really betrayed that my dad doesnt support me, (sorry 4 the length of post)
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Did you try talking to him, asking him why he is upset? Maybe you can talk him into lifting with you!!

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    haha, im assuming you're white, try being asian, my parents don't support me on anything ive ever done, from walking, to learning how to read, to weightlifting, talk to any asian kid, not southeast, far east and indian really will tell you horror stories.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    basically ignore him, he's being an idiot, i always ignore people like that
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

My dad was like that at first, telling me that I was going to mess up my joints, that I have a small frame and would never be the biggest or strongest so why bother, etc etc.....

I said screw it and kept up. Now that I'm bigger than him, with healthy joints to boot, he doesn't have much to say.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

My Dad and mom was like that to, now they force me to run twice a week and thats about that.

Big muscles are a sign of good genes, and men with good genes scare other men so they become hostile.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Banned

This is just dumb.

I don't think your did is jealous about your "physique."

Bodybuilding is not the most important thing in your life.
    Learn to prioritize things, and keep your Dad and you happy.
    Talk to your Dad, and understand why he is so upset.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm surprised so many people's parents don't like them lifting weights. Maybe it's your age. Possibly they feel that you should be focusing on school work and your future? I don't understand why they wouldn't encourage something that is healthy for you.

My mom says I look fat and that I should go back to being lean.
    When I mention my goals she shrudders in horror and gets angry.
    She's japanese btw. She believes in the slender feminine look.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Well my parents have always supported it. My mom was skeptical about me getting injured at first, yet still encouraged it. My dad has worked out for about 23 years now.

My dad has always be supportive, in a quiet way. If I told him of my exploits in the gym he would say "good job", or something of the like. My mom has never been to keen on it because she thought I got too fat, that carrying all of the weight (even if muscle) was unhealthy, and she really didn't like it when she found out I had dabbled in steroids in my early 20s. She is, however, not really unsupportive, she never tried to force me to stop or the like.

Was ur dad real into soccer with you? Maybe something he did as a kid too. Maybe ur dad felt that alot of the quality time he got to spend with u was when u guys could relate or talk bout ur soccer playing. Maybe he doesnt know anything bout weight lifting so he really can relate with u or feel like he knows what he's talking bout. Try talking to him. Or finding other common intrests with him.

-Justin

My parents think I'm being selfish cause I have my "own" weightlifting routine and my "own" diet...

Originally posted by nejar462
    haha, im assuming you're white, try being asian, my parents don't support me on anything ive ever done, from walking, to learning how to read, to weightlifting, talk to any asian kid, not southeast, far east and indian really will tell you horror stories.
    there was a time when i felt my parents were like that. since i've taken up training tho, they are nothing but supportive. really supportive. my dad's proud of my bicep muscles and my mom likes my wrists and forearms. *lol* but it's taken 30 years for us to finally be cool. personally i think it's cuz they've given up on me being anyone but myself.

I think the folks here are right....you prolly need to sit down with your dad and talk to him, (if he can have a non-patronizing conversation with him.) If not, then you need to do what you need to do, but don't realy on anyone but yourself to get there. (this includes being financially independent).
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

my parents are like careless. i guess its better than when they try to stop it but they seem to see it as a joke.

they dont seem to realise that it is even possible to change your body by training and diet and they think its just some passing fase of puberty im going through.
    it does piss me off.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Sorry homey, I cant relate. I got heavy into training after high school after I moved out, when the grocery bill was my responsibility.

I do think that the idea about your father being sad that he has lost your relationship via soccer is quite valid, if it is in fact the case. BB is hte new kid on the block, and your father wants to beat it down before you really get into it. If you go off to college and come back in a few years plus 25 lbs, imagine how he'll feel. If he's so against it, he'll blame bb on everything wrong in his life. His car broke down, its because you were at the gym and not fixing it. He gets a divorce, its because you were at the gym not fixing his marriage. The jello burned, its because you were at the gym not stirring it.

He's got a problem. The solution? Move in with Budiak. You can sleep in the ammo drawer. But odnt touch the 000. Thats mine.
    And if you see something move...shoot it.

Parents can be detrimental to your goals. Use sparingly.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I hear you man!! It happens with those that are jealous mainly...because they are lazy. Those that are lazy will only try and bring you down because they don't have the heart you do to endure the pain and time that it takes. It shows you have character and inner strength and they don't have enough to do what you do. Parents, friends, strangers all do it.

I was lucky and I am still lucky that my family loves the fact that I Bodybuild. My grandmother loves to show me off. My Mom is all into fitness and ask me questions, and wants me to train her and her friends. My family realizes that this is a love, a lifestyle and they only help me keep it strong and rich. If this is how you feel about it then explain that to your Dad. If he disregards your feelings then you do as other have told you and stand by your love and lifestyle because if you stray because of a small detour, you will crash and burn in agony.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

May be your parents want you to settle down first financially. MAy be they want you to get some good education. Once you get that and make them happy and assured, I dont think they will any problems whether you play soccer or lift weights or pick up girls.

This had been my past. I wont be allowed much fun till the tiume I got my engg degree and a good job. Now they dont care about what I do.

Climax of Intellect WillyTheGreat's Avatar
    I never had a problem with support for weightlifting from my parents. There was a wee bit of concern when I started playing football in 9th grade and had to start lifting and their concerns came true when I pulled my back *intensely painful* (ALWAYS USE A BELT ON HEAVY WEIGHTS) doing cleans. Since then, my Dad has encouraged me while I was lifting and it's beed good, no big deal.

The issue with my Dad is when I try to change my diet...he's not real supportive of that because he feels everything that we eat is fine and dandy and diet shouldn't be calorie-counting, etc. and it really pisses me off but I'm at the point where I do what I want and he just accepts it.

Now, after going on the WBB routine, I hope this is all worth it.