The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad News for Us? I don't think so...

Hey guys,
    here's an article recently published by the Toronto Star. It talks about weight lifters and how lifting affects their health.
    Personally, I think it's a load of crud. They don't have much to back up their words, and the article seems to be very vague.
    It's interesting to read some of the people's comments at the bottom of the page too!
    Personally, since I've started lifting, I've become healthier, fit, calmer, relaxed, stronger. I don't know where people get these ideas from.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The garbage that passes for journalism today is astounding. And that isn't even taking into account the content of the "article". I don't know enough about the science behind it, assuming there was any.

Weakens immune system? While I've heard the immune system is weaker immediately following a workout, I've also heard that in the long run it gets stronger. I haven't had even a slightest cold in 3 years, before I used to get 1 or 2 a year.

I love how people are trying to poke holes in working out. Everyone is out of shape enough as it is, let's try making them REALLY afraid of working out, then produce new articles about everyone being so fat!
    Last edited by berfles; 06-08-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

I love it how people jump up with their pitchforks screaming of how bad it is to lift weights. Idiots. It's hilarious how so many people look at weightlifters in a negative way. You just keep on being fat and thinking that women don't find it attractive...I'll keep nailing your girlfriend.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Banned
    Hahaha, that article cracks me up. It claims that stronger people died out because they ate more -- what an idiot. Anyone who is active unlike the author of that article has increased calorie consumption. I don't even understand why the author included "Brawnier men also consumed upwards of 50 per cent more calories than women." That has no relation to health... WTF????

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I love it how people jump up with their pitchforks screaming of how bad it is to lift weights. Idiots. It's hilarious how so many people look at weightlifters in a negative way. You just keep on being fat and thinking that women don't find it attractive...I'll keep nailing your girlfriend.
    i agree with everyone.
    i think that when people hear "weightlifting" they immediately picture the huge guys you see on TV that are juiced.
    there are several people with great bodies (lets take David Hasselhoff for example, all the girls went crazy for him in his prime). you think they didn't achieve this without lifting weights?
    and since i've started lifting weights, i haven't had a cold that lasted more than 2 days.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Bodybuilders eat healtier, are more active, take more vitamins and drink more water than the average joe, and they are saying that they have a weaker immune system? They are full of crap! It just goes to show how unfit people go out of the way to make themselves feel better, even if it takes making bs articles.

height: 6'3

weight: 175

short term goal: 200

Long term goal: Lean 225

Banned
    "Score one for the skinny guys", LOL. Stupid article in so many ways.

I'd bet money that I get sick less than most people who get the flu shot every year.
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 06-08-2009 at 01:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    lets take David Hasselhoff for example, all the girls went crazy for him in his prime. you think they didn't achieve this without lifting weights?
    Hmmm, I would have thought he's one of the skinny guys that this article was referring to.

Testosterone suppresses the immune system. I think that's pretty well documented.

Controlling for variables, I wouldn't be surprised if heavily muscled individuals get sick more often than others.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Testosterone suppresses the immune system. I think that's pretty well documented.
    But does weight training suppress the immune system?

I know several of my powerlifter friends have been told by their doctor that they have low testosterone, so I'm not convinced that weight training raises testosterone.

LOL, that article is classic. I love the part about castrated males live longer. Really? They have done a study on that? Seriously, I love these articles. What is "longer" in terms of life? 5 years? 10 years? Let's face it, those last years of your life...they aren't exactly going to be wonderful ones, right? And do you really want to outlive everyone you know? How lonely. I'd rather take this body for a good ride, push my limits and really enjoy myself while I still have my youth. Give me the heavy weights, give me the food, I'll fight off infection, I love what I do and I'll have no regrets when it's over.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post
    Weakens immune system? While I've heard the immune system is weaker immediately following a workout, I've also heard that in the long run it gets stronger. I haven't had even a slightest cold in 3 years, before I used to get 1 or 2 a year.

I love how people are trying to poke holes in working out. Everyone is out of shape enough as it is, let's try making them REALLY afraid of working out, then produce new articles about everyone being so fat!
    Thats funny man . So many lazy people in our country who overeat and oversleep. Lets make them even more scared to work out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran View Post
    LOL, that article is classic. I love the part about castrated males live longer. Really? They have done a study on that?
    Personally, I don't think any of that really matters. Living a long life as a castrated man sounds like a living hell to me. Who would want that!? I doubt even the "skinny guys" would.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Hmmm, I would have thought he's one of the skinny guys that this article was referring to.
    When I think skinny, I mean like the average joe skinny, like Edward Norton for example.
    David is a lot more muscular and built.
    Ok scratch David then, lets use Jason Statham. He's a pretty muscular guy (Death Race?).
    Check out my Journal!

lol nice article, time to lift.
    Last edited by Torrok; 06-08-2009 at 03:33 PM.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    When I think skinny, I mean like the average joe skinny, like Edward Norton for example.
    David is a lot more muscular and built.
    Ok scratch David then, lets use Jason Statham. He's a pretty muscular guy (Death Race?).
    Ed Norton was pretty jacked in American History X.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Yeah that article is comical. And im with berfles ... since ive started lifting regularly and dieting i havent been sick at all. And normally i would get sick about twice a year during the change of seasons.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

2 words... Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by berfles View Post

Haha. That's exactly what I was thinking..

Every lardass out there who sees this is going to use it as an excuse to not get that gym membership or get back in shape and go back to eating their Domino's Pizza and McDonalds, sugar and flour, diabeetus-inducing, obesity-causing, chalk full o' heart attack daily diet routine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    Haha. That's exactly what I was thinking..

Every lardass out there who sees this is going to use it as an excuse to not get that gym membership or get back in shape and go back to eating their Domino's Pizza and McDonalds, sugar and flour, diabeetus-inducing, obesity-causing, chalk full o' heart attack daily diet routine.
    good. this makes me look all the better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    eating their Domino's Pizza and McDonalds, sugar and flour, diabeetus-inducing, obesity-causing, chalk full o' heart attack daily diet routine.

Whats wrong with this?

1471, gotta have it Kenny Powers's Avatar
    this comment

is that muscles require a huge amount of carbohydrates to function and to maintain body temperature. So, the more muscle mass an individual has, the more carbs their body requires just to support itself. But guess what else in the body is one HUGE consumer of carbs? No guesses here? - It's the BRAIN, people! Could you perhaps imagine what happens to brain cells when the system starts running extremely low on fuel (carbs) during those repeated exhausting workouts? Well, as any knowledgeable body builder will tell you, a muscle without lots of "fast" carbs following a workout is going to decrease in size due to cells dying. Wouldn't you think that brain cells which are way more vulnerable would be dying much earlier?
    is by far my favorite. since i run the anabolic diet and im "muscly" i must have no brain cells left!!!!!!!! why didnt anyone tell me this was going to happen!!!

i love it how every person sitting on their couch on the internet feels that they need to have an opinion on everything, however unqualified they are and however misinformed their opinions are

^^^

you do have to admit though, that there is at least some correlation between big muscles and being stupid. Obviously not saying it's true in all cases, but when you think of a guy all hulked out, chances are he's not exactly a rocket scientist.

Now I don't believe muscles hogging all the carbs from your brain is the reason at all.

but I'm just sayin.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay