Thread: Any Bow Fish Hunters?

Any Bow Fish Hunters?

So I went with a buddy of mine. He had a tower setup on this flat boat and basically we pushed down a shallow creek with a pole. Never really shot a bow before, at least not in the last 15 years. It was a blast. I didn't hit a dam thing, but thought I was close a couple of times. My buddy got a rainbow trout. I could have blasted a couple carp and bullfrogs but didn't seem sportsman like.

Anyways he is planning a trip to florida to go hunt tarpon with the bow. I don't think I'll waste my money, but it was a blast and if you get chance try it out.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Funny you should bring this up! I've been looking into going bowfishing in South Alabam' for Alligator Gar. I want my own bow set up, but honestly, don't think I could justify the purchase since I wouldn't be able to go as much as I'd like. Once I find a guide and get a quote, I'm gonna try to bag a 7+ foot monster.

Lots of guys bowfish for carp in Lake Guntersville here, but I don't think that'd be exciting. 1) Carp are slow and boring. 2) They taste terrible and 3) I hate them.

They do get big, though, so meh, might be good practice!
    Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    So I went with a buddy of mine. He had a tower setup on this flat boat and basically we pushed down a shallow creek with a pole. Never really shot a bow before, at least not in the last 15 years. It was a blast. I didn't hit a dam thing, but thought I was close a couple of times. My buddy got a rainbow trout. I could have blasted a couple carp and bullfrogs but didn't seem sportsman like.

Anyways he is planning a trip to florida to go hunt tarpon with the bow. I don't think I'll waste my money, but it was a blast and if you get chance try it out.
    You do realize its illegal to take Tarpon out of the water right? Even if you catch them you must remove the hook while the fish is still in the water. You will get fined 2000 bucks if you take them out of the water, and if you kill one or shot one with a bow you would most likely go to jail. Its the same way with all species of grouper now.

Yes they do watch, and they have anglers that watch for this and will report you. Tarpon are marvelous creatures that have outlasted evolution for thousands of years. The only reason the population is on the decline is because of un-sportsman like fishing practices.

Talk about shooting a carp is not sportsman like, and the guy is okay with getting a tarpon like that? Have fun in jail.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    Funny you should bring this up! I've been looking into going bowfishing in South Alabam' for Alligator Gar. I want my own bow set up, but honestly, don't think I could justify the purchase since I wouldn't be able to go as much as I'd like. Once I find a guide and get a quote, I'm gonna try to bag a 7+ foot monster.

Lots of guys bowfish for carp in Lake Guntersville here, but I don't think that'd be exciting. 1) Carp are slow and boring. 2) They taste terrible and 3) I hate them.

They do get big, though, so meh, might be good practice!
    A lot of guys go for gar up here, they are a pest. In some parts of the TN river they're so thick you could shoot at the water with your eyes closed and get one.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    A lot of guys go for gar up here, they are a pest. In some parts of the TN river they're so thick you could shoot at the water with your eyes closed and get one.
    The Tennessee River kicks ass! Lots of fun fish in there, including the legendary man-eating catfish. I may head up there and bag a gar or two.

Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Beast View Post
    The Tennessee River kicks ass! Lots of fun fish in there, including the legendary man-eating catfish. I may head up there and bag a gar or two.

I'm a sal****er fisherman myself, but there is some pretty fun fishing on the TN river.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    You do realize its illegal to take Tarpon out of the water right? Even if you catch them you must remove the hook while the fish is still in the water. You will get fined 2000 bucks if you take them out of the water, and if you kill one or shot one with a bow you would most likely go to jail. Its the same way with all species of grouper now.

Yes they do watch, and they have anglers that watch for this and will report you. Tarpon are marvelous creatures that have outlasted evolution for thousands of years. The only reason the population is on the decline is because of un-sportsman like fishing practices.

Talk about shooting a carp is not sportsman like, and the guy is okay with getting a tarpon like that? Have fun in jail.
    I called him after I read this, I must have misunderstood him. He said he would love to go after Tarpon when he goes down to florida, but he's going after some kind of bonefish. Sorry for the confusion.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    I called him after I read this, I must have misunderstood him. He said he would love to go after Tarpon when he goes down to florida, but he's going after some kind of bonefish. Sorry for the confusion.
    Sounds more likely, the more I thought about it the more I realized even if he wanted to go after tarpon, he couldn't. They are too damn strong! haha

I've hooked one in a kayak and had to tie a 5 gallon bucket behind me in the water to slow my ass down. They make parachutes just for this purpose. They can pull you 5+ miles out to sea.

The bag limits are strict on bonefish as well, they are a gamefish. They taste awful like Tarpon, but are much much smaller. They are known for being spooky, so getting close enough to them to shoot them with a bow would be EXTREMELY challenging. Guys have a hard enough time getting close enough to cast to them with a fly or spinning reel off of a boat without them jetting it out of there.
    Last edited by Lones Green; 06-15-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com