The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Need help!

Death to the World!

Need help!

I recently started PL, I have previously been Olympic lifting, 5x5, crossfit (I know...), and bodybuilding. My workout partner and I recently did our maxes and I got shut down on a couple of squats and I want to know what I need to work on. What supplemental exercises will help me strengthen the weak areas of my squat. In the video you can see I get stuck halfway up. Any thoughts on training tips would be appreciated. I also have the video of me deadlifting, and I notice that it is hard for me to get it off the ground, I have no problem locking it out though. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!youtube.com/user/monk2in1, my name is Morgan, those are my squats.

Edit; Vid encoded
    Last edited by Morgan McPherson; 06-14-2009 at 03:29 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I can tell you did olympic lifting, because you squat more like an olympic lifter than a powerlifter. A powerlifting squat is about sitting back (like you start a good morning) and then pushing your knees out. You do more of a drop and your knees go forward. When you try to come up, your knees come in which is bad. You want to arch hard into the bar and drive your knees out to squat up. I'd focus on hamstrings, lower back, and hip abduction.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

The best thing you can do right now is get a powerlifter to train your form, or buy EliteFTS.com's sqaut and deadlift Index. I've been sqautting for years with average form, but I've joined a PLing gym and have watched the dvd at least a dozen times.

hips and abs look pretty weak there. You kinda fold together when you get to the bottom. Also, widen your stance so you can more easily sit back and use your hams and glutes

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Death to the World!
    I can see what you mean about the whole Olympic squat. I do need to drop my butt back, and keep shins straight. I do not see my knees buckling in though. Could you be more specific on what exercises exactly. Thanks

They are saying to fix your form before worrying about assistance exercises.
    Sarvamangalam!

Death to the World!
    Great point Monkey, I just recently got the Westside DVD's. Which I haven't looked at yet, guess its time to go to the drawing board.... again!

Watch these. They're priceless.

Squat Rx

Start by box-squatting as that will teach you to sit back and squat properly.Also,by squatting to a below parallel box it will help your deadlift and is one of my favorite deadlift assistance exercises.
    "Headed down the highway, sign has three inverted 9's"

Seeking sponsorship through ResMed

Your knees come in (left more than right) at 16-18 seconds in the 360 squat attempt 2 video. Your knees will want to move somewhere. The key is to push them out vs. letting them come forward.

Travis is right about training abs to help you stay more upright. Just push your abs out hard against the belt.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Death to the World!
    Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to start by buying some Chuck Taylors and not use my Olympic lifting shoes for the powerlifting training I am commencing. Second, I am going to start practicing box squatting to get the technique down. Put in heavier work on the Abs and start deadlifting from on top of a 45 plate, or two, to help with my start. Also, going to be working on half squats for the pull on the deadlift. Thanks again.