Thread: size with ss?

Wannabebig New Member

size with ss?

i know you can get size with the ss workout. but what type of size is this? is this the big powerlifter size thats just big flabby with no definition which i see with most ppl? or more like the bodybuilder big and defined size?

is there anyother workout to obtain size without ss that someone has proven tried and true? i guess what im saying is i know ss makes you strong and big, but is there something out there that makes you big quick whether you get stronger or not?

my goal isnt necessarily to get stronger but to get bigger, mostly in the chest and arms. and yes i know some strength will come with size. just seems like itll take alot more time on a program like ss.

The size you gain will be more so determined by your diet. You can make quality LBM gain and keep bodyfat in check on Starting Strength for sure. Too much of a caloric surplus and no matter what your training looks like, you will gain fat.

There is a nice compromise between super "clean" lean bulking and all out "see food" dieting where you eat everything in site. I would shoot for about 1-2lbs of weight gain per month and cut when you get uncomfortable with what you see in the mirror. It is not unheard of for natural beginners to gain as much as 10-15lbs of true LBM their first year. After that your body needs more tricking and thought out approaches to grow, you might only see 2-6lbs of LBM gain a year after that.

Oh and if you are just getting into sculpting your body then SS is a great routine to follow along with a sound diet and supplementation program.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    The size you gain will be more so determined by your diet. You can make quality LBM gain and keep bodyfat in check on Starting Strength for sure. Too much of a caloric surplus and no matter what your training looks like, you will gain fat.

There is a nice compromise between super "clean" lean bulking and all out "see food" dieting where you eat everything in site. I would shoot for about 1-2lbs of weight gain per month and cut when you get uncomfortable with what you see in the mirror. It is not unheard of for natural beginners to gain as much as 10-15lbs of true LBM their first year. After that your body needs more tricking and thought out approaches to grow, you might only see 2-6lbs of LBM gain a year after that.

Oh and if you are just getting into sculpting your body then SS is a great routine to follow along with a sound diet and supplementation program.
    my body is pretty sculpted as of now from alot of sports and some lifting as well. i have a pretty nice back, decent arms and chest. id like to make them bigger though. big and defined though of course. my diet? its usually a low carb high protien diet.

Wannabebig New Member
    any real good routines for bigger chest and arms the doesnt revolve around squats? they only have 1 rest day between squatting. i normally rest 2 days.

WBB #1 is great!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

There are many routines out there that will give you what you want. SS is a good one, so give it a try. "Big and flabby" is caused by diet, not the workout. And all the best routines for arms and chest involve squats, period.
    Last edited by Off Road; 06-16-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

There's big muscles and small muscles, low bodyfat and high bodyfat--but there's no 'powerlifting size' and 'bodybuilding size.' Not in the sense you're thinking of anyway.

Echo
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post

There is a nice compromise between super "clean" lean bulking and all out "see food" dieting where you eat everything in site.
    I agree with this, I think the best look is inbetween a power lifter and a body builder. Kind of like the athletic football player look.

Quote Originally Posted by DEADP00L View Post
    the big powerlifter size thats just big flabby with no definition
    I'm kind of offended..

Quote Originally Posted by Xellarz View Post
    I'm kind of offended..
    i think you just took him the wrong way. but i get what he's saying.
    Last edited by imabeast; 06-18-2009 at 04:10 AM.
    Yes i am a beast and i need to be tranquilized
    Yes i am a beast and to me you are just ankle high

I want to be a flabby power lifter.

Trying not to die young.

Flabby powerlifters are cool.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by DEADP00L View Post
    i know you can get size with the ss workout. but what type of size is this? is this the big powerlifter size thats just big flabby with no definition which i see with most ppl? or more like the bodybuilder big and defined size?

you gain the same "type" of size that you'll gain with other workouts. it's diet that makes a different here. if your goal is to gain some mass so you can push, you can go all out and eat everything. if you decide to watch what you eat, and have a clean and healthy diet, you can be toned and shapely.

is there anyother workout to obtain size without ss that someone has proven tried and true? i guess what im saying is i know ss makes you strong and big, but is there something out there that makes you big quick whether you get stronger or not?

steroids... other than that, you will gain at the same rate. you could try training for hypertrophy, but i haven't done that in a long time, and forget how effective it is.

my goal isnt necessarily to get stronger but to get bigger, mostly in the chest and arms. and yes i know some strength will come with size. just seems like itll take alot more time on a program like ss.

mostly chest and arms? no legs? i can guarantee your legs aren't big enough, and you're gonna look awful with huge arms and chest, and toothpick legs. i see this all too often in the gym.
    badda boom badda bing!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*