Thread: Deficit deadlift questions.

Deficit deadlift questions.

1- Is it bad to work up (or cycle up) to a 1RM on deficit pulls?

The new issue of PLUSA had an article that suggested only working up to a 3RM on deficits (due to the extra ROM). Just curious on your thoughts.

2- Is it bad to always do deficit pulls in place of deads off the floor?

I stick with deficits for almost all of my cycles, unless I'm going for a new PR from the floor. I cycle up to a 1RM, and know my max off the floor is 20-30lbs heavier.

Can this lead to overtraining quicker or over-taxing the CNS? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here. LOL

I only lift raw and pull every week, doing 7 week cycles starting at 70% and adding 5% per week up to a new 1RM.
    Without progression, I am nothing.

Most of your questions are going to be relative to your strength levels, recovery ability, body type, etc.

I have found stuff that works for me that most would say would be a mistake, overtraining, or whatever. Luckily I have some really great people to train with so they can keep me in check in case I am falling behind.

A lot of people here are way more qualified to answer your questions than me, but I will say that the group I train with sometimes works up to a 1 rm with deficit deadlift. The only exercise we stick to triples with is max good mornings, because quite frankly most people can triple about the same that they can 1 rm on a good morning. I know for me its with in a couple of pounds.

How do you do deficit dead lifts? We sometimes do them on a 4 inch platform and sometimes we go off the floor but use 25 pound plates instead of 45s. This serves a similar purpose although its hard to load up enough weight so we use use quad bands over the bar to add tension.

Oh and I would not stick to any one exercise the whole time. I personally mix it up between rack pulls, deficit dead lifts, against and with bands, as well as pulls from the floor. I also use both sumo and conventional even though I only pull conventional for competition type purposes. A lot of people recommend pulling off blocks rather than rack pulls.

In general working up to 1rm frequently is a great way to get injured. Save 1rm for the meets. Typically 3-5rm workout are ideal.

5x5, 10x3, 3x3 workouts with working weights. wether it be partial range of movement, extended range of movement or regular, stay away from 1rm often.

Bands and chains are great ways to train near max too, w/ really stressing the joints as much near max too.

And yes bad to always do something same. You need to change it up with any excercise.
    Last edited by blownby; 06-19-2009 at 10:03 AM.
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

Quote Originally Posted by blownby View Post
    In general working up to 1rm frequently is a great way to get injured. Save 1rm for the meets. Typically 3-5rm workout are ideal.
    I would disagree with this, I think you've got a better chance of getting injured with triples and fives then with singles (from my own experience and reading around). Especially with deadlifts, form starts breaking down especially on those 4th and 5th reps.

I really like deficit deads, and I would just make sure you're not rounding over too much and that your form is not breaking down. I'd cycle in deficits with pulls from the floor, and even rack or block pulls.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    I would disagree with this, I think you've got a better chance of getting injured with triples and fives then with singles (from my own experience and reading around). Especially with deadlifts, form starts breaking down especially on those 4th and 5th reps.

I really like deficit deads, and I would just make sure you're not rounding over too much and that your form is not breaking down. I'd cycle in deficits with pulls from the floor, and even rack or block pulls.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    Most of your questions are going to be relative to your strength levels, recovery ability, body type, etc.

I have found stuff that works for me that most would say would be a mistake, overtraining, or whatever. Luckily I have some really great people to train with so they can keep me in check in case I am falling behind.

A lot of people here are way more qualified to answer your questions than me, but I will say that the group I train with sometimes works up to a 1 rm with deficit deadlift. The only exercise we stick to triples with is max good mornings, because quite frankly most people can triple about the same that they can 1 rm on a good morning. I know for me its with in a couple of pounds.

How do you do deficit dead lifts? We sometimes do them on a 4 inch platform and sometimes we go off the floor but use 25 pound plates instead of 45s. This serves a similar purpose although its hard to load up enough weight so we use use quad bands over the bar to add tension.

Oh and I would not stick to any one exercise the whole time. I personally mix it up between rack pulls, deficit dead lifts, against and with bands, as well as pulls from the floor. I also use both sumo and conventional even though I only pull conventional for competition type purposes. A lot of people recommend pulling off blocks rather than rack pulls.
    a 4 inch deficit...using 25 lb plates...with quaded minis?

You'd find me in a corner, shivering
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    a 4 inch deficit...using 25 lb plates...with quaded minis?

You'd find me in a corner, shivering
    I think he meant either a 4" deficit or just off the floor with 25lb plates. But I agree, that would be brutal.
    Last edited by Pete22; 06-19-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I would keep the reps lower on deficit deads as Pete suggested, but also keep the overall load manageable as well.

You can still incorporate higher volume and do say 5-10 singles with 85-90% of your max deficit, or about 75-80% of your max from the floor (depending on leverages). An aerobics step is generally a safe and easy way to do these; you can only fit maybe 450-500 lbs on most bars if you are using 25's; and it will take forever to set up since you'll probably have to go all over the gym looking for them and loading a bunch of weights.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post

I too have heard no to go over 5 reps on deads, since form can go down hill.

I do my deficits off a 3" platform I built. I don't have enough 25s to load up enough weight.

Since I do 7 week cycles, I'm only doing a 1RM about every 2 months.

And I do all singles. I like having to set up from scratch every time.

Perhaps I'll do a couple deficit cycles, then one cycle off the floor.

I haven't done rack pulls in a while, as I fear my strength off the floor will suffer, especially since I lift raw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would keep the reps lower on deficit deads as Pete suggested, but also keep the overall load manageable as well.

You can still incorporate higher volume and do say 5-10 singles with 85-90% of your max deficit, or about 75-80% of your max from the floor (depending on leverages). An aerobics step is generally a safe and easy way to do these; you can only fit maybe 450-500 lbs on most bars if you are using 25's; and it will take forever to set up since you'll probably have to go all over the gym looking for them and loading a bunch of weights.
    Thats kinda along the lines of what I do in my deficit cycle.

wk1-70% for 12 singles
    wk2-75% for 10 singles
    wk3-80% for 8 singles
    wk4-85% for 6 singles
    wk5-90% for 4 singles
    wk6-95% for 2 singles
    wk7-100% for 1 (new 1RM)

I lift at home, so I just built a 3" platform.

Hopefully this cycle looks kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    you can only fit maybe 450-500 lbs on most bars if you are using 25's; and it will take forever to set up since you'll probably have to go all over the gym looking for them and loading a bunch of weights.
    Yeah its a bit easier for us because we have usually atleast 4 people training with us so its not bad gathering plates. Not too mention using bands to make up for weight. I still prefer just pulling off a platform myself though and it's easier for most people.

And yeah we do one or the other as far as using 25s or the platform. If we did both I'd probably be typing from a wheelchair right now.

I don't think adding in rack pulls will hurt your pull from the floor any more than doing board presses hurts your full range bench (provided you still train full range of motion as much), though I know others don't think rack pulls help them any. But I am fast off the floor and slow right around my knees so rack pulls hit my hardest part of the lift.