Thread: Got a tire for sled pulling and OMFG

Got a tire for sled pulling and OMFG

Picked up a tire at the tire store yesterday to start doing some sled pulling with. After my workout today I put an eye hook in it and did some pulling. I also weighed it. It is 97lbs. Sort of heavy, I was thinking it would be like 50lbs or something.

I did three front pulls of 180' where I ran as fast I could with it. And two backwards pulls at 180'. I could only run the first 90' of the first backward pull and had to walk the other segments of the backwards pull. Amazing how much I could feel the backwards pull on my hams.

This totally kicked my a$$. After the last forward sprint I collapsed on the ground for about 5 minutes and my legs were on fire!!! And I've been playing basketball two times a week for the last 3 months so I've actually been getting in decent GPP shape so this will hopefully take me to the next level.

I am so looking forward to including this in my routine now not only for GPP but because I've read a lot of the big squatters on this board say that it is a great assistance exercise for squats as well.

Quick question on the backwards pulls. Should I do backwards run/walk or should my backward pulls be done more like pull throughs where you take a giant step back, do a pull through, take a giant step back, do a pull through, etc. I know, the answer will probably do both to vary it but figured I'd ask just in case one of them is pointless to do.

Banned
    Both. We use our sleds for doing rows, facepulls, and then forwards and backward drags. That would be about 99% of our sled work I'd say. Mostly drags though. Lighter ones with longer distance/more volume helps aid recovery, and heavier one is just good GPP.

Oh, cool. I hadn't even thought of rows and face pulls. This is going to be fun!!! Wish I got my tire earlier.

Banned
    97 seems beefy for a dragging tire. is it big enough to hit with a sledge hammer? We do that too for GPP

I use a big 37" off road tire. It's a heavy/sticky son of a gun with the side lugs. I throw an extra 90 lbs on it and it's a bear to pull. But, I walk, I don't run.

Yeah, 97 might be too beefy. I didn't know how much it weighed until I got it home because the guy at the tire store lifted it into my trunk. I thought it looked big but I've never weighed tired before so I had to reference. But, I was able to run with it going forward so maybe I'll keep using it for now and if I feel overtrained I can always go get a lighter one.

I liked it so much I loaded it up in my SUV so I'd have it during my work travels this week so I can pull it around in the hotel parking lot. Or maybe I'll take it to an outside basketball court and do sprints up and down the court to practice what I play with like 60s or 90s rests. There's so many options....my kids want to ride in it so I may take them to the park and pull them around in it next weekend. Fun stuff, I like new toys especially when it only cost me $1.16 for the eye bolt and two washers since the tire was free.

I think it would be able to support me hitting it with a sledge hammer but the walls aren't very wide so I might miss. But I could do it on the lawn so its no biggie if I miss.

just a question here. did you buy the tire new? I sure hope you picked up one of their unusable tires, instead of a new one. if not for future reference, you can get them for cheap or for free at some of the mechanic shops etc, or an ad on the internet for a bald tire will do also.

Quote Originally Posted by litlfetcher View Post
    just a question here. did you buy the tire new? I sure hope you picked up one of their unusable tires, instead of a new one. if not for future reference, you can get them for cheap or for free at some of the mechanic shops etc, or an ad on the internet for a bald tire will do also.
    just above your post...
    Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    I like new toys especially when it only cost me $1.16 for the eye bolt and two washers since the tire was free.

Hey Reko, if you read this, quick question. I can envision the lat pulls - knees slighly bent, slightly bent over at the back, and pull the tire. How do the face pulls look? Do you squat down more at the knees and waist to be able to pull to the face? Curious because I currently can't do face pulls with my equip at home (or at least don't think I can) so would be cool to do it with the tire.

So, how many of you run with the sled and how many of you walk with the sled?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

So, how many of you run with the sled and how many of you walk with the sled?
    I sprint 100m then walk 100m back. I load 5lbs extra each trip. I dont know the starting weight however.

I always end up cursing myself half way through thinking WTF am I doing. If theres a hell, im in it and that tire is the devil himself.

I have managed not to actually barf yet though.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

I'm just asking because I was told to pull the sled at a walk. I was told that by running, you are overcoming friction and taking some of the demand away. But I guess it depends on your goals.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by teeroy View Post
    Hey Reko, if you read this, quick question. I can envision the lat pulls - knees slighly bent, slightly bent over at the back, and pull the tire. How do the face pulls look? Do you squat down more at the knees and waist to be able to pull to the face? Curious because I currently can't do face pulls with my equip at home (or at least don't think I can) so would be cool to do it with the tire.
    Not really squatting down, just kind of like doing an upright row, but instead of goign from stomach to chin, its going from arms straight out rowed into your face. I'll try to get video of it next time we do it. We actually did 120 yard face pull sets the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I'm just asking because I was told to pull the sled at a walk. I was told that by running, you are overcoming friction and taking some of the demand away. But I guess it depends on your goals.
    either would probably be fine. If you are a serious sprinter it will likely mess with your mechanics/form, but if you aren't you can probably benefit from mixing it up. We sprint with the prowler, its a little different (ok a lot) but you will still get some kind of benefit from sprint. Just up the weight and/or distance so you have more "time under tension" if you will.
    Last edited by Reko; 06-18-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Sled pulling is great. Pulling anything is great. I remember years ago when I worked at a local sports store It would be my duty to pull a 1 tonne crate of weights around (on a pallet truck). Damn that was a heavy beast!
    Need to get me a sled now!
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 06-22-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14