Thread: Conventional Deadlift in oly shoes?

Conventional Deadlift in oly shoes?

Anyone do this or have any article links for it? A little while back, I wish i still had link, i read an article about this. In short, there was a "possible" mechanical advantage to a taller lifter that pulled conventional. I believe the oly shoes helped to activate more of the quads at the start of the pull, which helped get things going. And the added distance was minimal to the overall pull in relation to the advantage the oly shoes aided at the start?
    6'0"--198# USAPL / IPF powerlifter
    ~~~ RAW Nationals July 15-17, 2010 in CO ~~~~

RAW Squat: 556
    RAW Bench: 390
    RAW Deadlift: 601

ignore
    Last edited by blownby; 06-22-2009 at 09:27 AM.

For anyone else who is interested: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/de...o_deadlift.htm

that was it...sweet thanks

I can't imagine that it would help, BUT! Try it and if it works better for you...do it. I learned as a football coach, if a player was consistantly better than when I 'fixed' his technique; let him keep doing it 'wrong' and kicking butt. I shutter when I see some of the best deadlifters in the world pull, but they kick my butt so who am I to say they need to change. Example Brent Howard, Tony Caprari, and Richard Hawthorn are all conv. back pullers with almost straight legs. But their results speak for themselves. I can't even outpull Richard at 132s and I'm a 275er. Not everything works for everybody. So, there's nothing wrong with experimenting to see once in a while.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I pull in OLY shoes with a close stance. Not that i am one to talk about how to get a huge deadlift but i was getting NO leg drive when i was training in deadlift socks (actually water shoes with no insoles). I went from pulling 435 in those, to putting my Oly shoes on and pulling 455 with ease the next workout. From then, within a month or two i am up to 495 with lots of leg drive.

EDIT: Thats a really good article that was posted. It explains why i was getting more leg drive with the heels.
    Last edited by danmac; 06-22-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    I pull in OLY shoes with a close stance. Not that i am one to talk about how to get a huge deadlift but i was getting NO leg drive when i was training in deadlift socks (actually water shoes with no insoles). I went from pulling 435 in those, to putting my Oly shoes on and pulling 455 with ease the next workout. From then, within a month or two i am up to 495 with lots of leg drive.

EDIT: Thats a really good article that was posted. It explains why i was getting more leg drive with the heels.
    danmac,

That outstanding man! I pull in Chuck Taylors but I'd defineatly try OLY shoes if it would add any amont of weight to the bar!!!

BTW, how tall are you? I'm 6 2" and pull around 525. Got a meet coming up 8/8 so I'm very interested in trying this.

Quote Originally Posted by robchris View Post
    danmac,

That outstanding man! I pull in Chuck Taylors but I'd defineatly try OLY shoes if it would add any amont of weight to the bar!!!

BTW, how tall are you? I'm 6 2" and pull around 525. Got a meet coming up 8/8 so I'm very interested in trying this.
    I am not tall, 5'9" on a good day and I am built like a bencher. I think it stayed around 435 for like 4 months if not more before trying the olys.

Here's the vid of it
    Video

I pull about 60 seconds into it.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

TJW
    I pull in Adidas olympic shoes, but my form is nothing special. In fact, I start with my hips high, and my back basically parallel to the floor, but I feel much more stable and more leg drive than if I'm pulling barefoot. I've posted vids in here and in my journal if you want to check them out. For what it's worth, I'm 5'11"

I've tried pulling in oly shoes... doesn't work very well for me. I tend to fall forward a lot. Maybe I'll try it some more though. I'm short though, so it might not help. :X

Quote Originally Posted by blownby View Post
    Anyone do this or have any article links for it? A little while back, I wish i still had link, i read an article about this. In short, there was a "possible" mechanical advantage to a taller lifter that pulled conventional. I believe the oly shoes helped to activate more of the quads at the start of the pull, which helped get things going. And the added distance was minimal to the overall pull in relation to the advantage the oly shoes aided at the start?
    Blownby,

Monster's right, the only way to find out is to experiment and see if it works.

Mark Rippetoe goes into using a heel in his artlce that Notorius provide. Mark and I are friends. We competed together in Texas and often had point/counter-point discussions.

Mark believes the heel allows you to produce more leg drive in the deadlift. That makes some sense. However, I an not an advocate of using a heel in the deadlift.

I've found that using a shoe with a heel (like Clever noted) tends to throw you forward. I believe the the majority of deadlifters do better with a flat sole.

Another interesting shoe for deadlifting is what I call the "Chip McCain Deadlift Shoe". McCain was a world record holder in the deadlift and squat in the early 1980s. I use ot see McCain at the Texas meets since we lived 90 miles away from each other.

I often quizzed McCain on his dealift training. One of the topics was his deadlift shoe. I still have an old Powerlifting USA magazine with McCain lifting in his "deadlift shoe".

The "McCain Deadlift Shoe" was/is a flat shoe with an elevated toe. The toe is elevated about 1-2 inches. McCain felt this did three things.

1) Helped him pull the weight back on top of him, as he pulled. It certainly does that. The shoe make you sit back in the hole a litte and forces you to pull the weight back on top of you.

2) The biomechanics of the shoe place more emphasis on the hamstrings and the erectors. This plays well for any lifter who has a great deal of posterior strength.

I had a old pair of shoes converted to the "McCain Deadlift Shoe". I have played with then in the deadlift but not enough to give you any real information.

I discuss the "McCain Deadlift Shoe" with a Dr David Forster, a powerlifter. Foster like the idea. Foster made a shoe and it work well for him.

I primarily use the "McCain Deadlift Shoe" for good mornings. The "McCain Deadlift shoe" places the work load more on the hamstrings. In fact, it's one of the best hamstring exercises that I have found.

Before going to a shoe shop and having a "toe lift" put on your shoe, I would place plates under my toes to elevate them. That's the cheapest method of test driving this method.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by Kenny Croxdale; 06-23-2009 at 12:46 PM.