Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box Jumps - what do you do?

Box Jumps - what do you do?

I was having my athletes do a different variation of box jumps and it was totally new to them, which surprised me.

Made me wonder, what do you all do for box jumps? Heights, reps, sets

What I had them do is sit on a 12" box, hold two 25lb DBs and in one motion, jump onto a 14" box

A lot of them can jump on the 38" box for a few reps, but I found this way to really make them explode much more off the box

Had them do it for 5 sets of 12 jumps.

Other times I've had them do it with just bodyweight off a 12" box and jump onto a 18" or 20" for some of the guys who are better jumpers

If we're short on time though, I have them just do repeated jumps while standing, onto normally 24" box, for about 5 sets of 15 jumps

I've also included box jumps into the conditioning work. Something like sprint with the prowler for 40yds, jump on the box for 20 jumps, sprint back, jump on the box again 20 more times. Repeat 4 times.

That was something Lou came up with and it's worked pretty well teaching the kids how to push themselves when they are tired already.

So what do you guys do?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

If we're short on time though, I have them just do repeated jumps while standing, onto normally 24" box, for about 5 sets of 15 jumps
    this is what we do but for 30sec as many as we can do with maybe 3-4sets of each variation. We alternate between one leg sets and two legs.

Your team is doing a ton of conditioning. Do you do gassers at all?
    Last edited by slashkills; 06-21-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Ive done some research into plyometrics and have found, through my own experience that I had best results doing 4 week cycles of jumps. For example,

Multiple Box Jumps at same height x5
    Depth Jumps x5
    Single Leg Box Jump x5 each leg
    Box Squat, deload hip flexors by picking feet up, then jump to another box x5

and run through this circuit 3-5 times for 2-3 sessions a week. Then after 4-6 weeks switch the movements. Ive had pretty good results. The S&C coach at SMU was pretty impressed with my jumping ability. I went from about a 40" box jump to a 50" box jump in about 8 weeks.

I got most of this from "Jumping into Plyometrics" By Donald Chu
    Sarvamangalam!

40" box jump to a 50" box jump in about 8 weeks
    Damn! thats impressive

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    this is what we do but for 30sec as many as we can do with maybe 3-4sets of each variation. We alternate between one leg sets and two legs.

Your team is doing a ton of conditioning. Do you do gassers at all?
    Conditioning only lasts 30min. It's short and intense.

Thus far, nobody has quit on me. They know down deep that the work they put in now will make the rest of the season much easier.

The problem we had with having guys jump on the box for a given amount of time, was that I realized many of them weren't jumping completely on the box, they'd jump on their toes or arches and then jump off. I want them jumping completely on top of the box.

ZenMonkey, that is an interesting circuit! I like that.

Very impressive as well on the increase of your jump.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

You try having them jumping from foam Travis? I got on a kick of doing that awhile back and it made the jumps much harder
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Low reps. Low total volume. Bounding, jumps to varying heights, we don't do depth jumps.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-21-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I think its recommended for 100-200 foot contacts per week depending on abilities and intensity.
    Sarvamangalam!

We've got a few girls that can jump on the 36". A couple of guys hovering right around 48" maybe a bit more.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    Have done & do a lot of the stuff you noted Travis.
    If I go to the track, I'll usually do jumps up the stairs - 1 legged and 2 legged jumps.
    From time to time I do depth drops. Have gone as high as 5 ft but 4 ft is safer for me & my bodyweight - 220-230. 5 ft drops made my knees too sore.
    Other than the stair jumps, I keep the reps low 1-5, as I want as much explosion as possible. I think anything more than even 3 reps starts to become more conditioning - though not that it doesn't have a purpose, but if I'm training someone to increase their jumping ability it's low reps.
    What I've also done with basketball players who are use to 1 foot jumping & not comfortable with 2, is weighted jumping squats - holding a plate behind their back to force the hips, glutes & thighs to fire. Like you though I do get them to hold DB's for some w/o's.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I think its recommended for 100-200 foot contacts per week depending on abilities and intensity.
    This is what I was under the impression was normal, at least for athletes involved in sports like basketball, track and volleyball.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Low reps. Low total volume. Bounding, jumps to varying heights, we don't do depth jumps.
    Sensei, is what ZM said what you'd consider low reps and volume or do you do it a different way?

I'm with you on the depth jumps, I don't use those either.

It depends on what you count as "plyometric", but including skips and other low-intensity plyos, we probably fall in that range. Big guys do less.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Today I had them do the box jumps with chains draped over their neck, instead of holding DB's

For many of the guys it made it a good bit more difficult, because the weight was up top, instead of down at their sides in their hands.

Now, normally you'd want to have the weight down at their sides so they are "jumping into it" , but my reasoning for changing it up a little was I wanted to help incorporate the posterior chain into this all. This way when they bent way over into a jumping position, they had to develop a lot more power from that position, which is where a football player is going to need to develop his power from ( three point stance)

I'll get some video of this stuff later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    I was having my athletes do a different variation of box jumps and it was totally new to them, which surprised me.

Made me wonder, what do you all do for box jumps? Heights, reps, sets

What I had them do is sit on a 12" box, hold two 25lb DBs and in one motion, jump onto a 14" box

A lot of them can jump on the 38" box for a few reps, but I found this way to really make them explode much more off the box

Had them do it for 5 sets of 12 jumps.

Other times I've had them do it with just bodyweight off a 12" box and jump onto a 18" or 20" for some of the guys who are better jumpers

I've also included box jumps into the conditioning work. Something like sprint with the prowler for 40yds, jump on the box for 20 jumps, sprint back, jump on the box again 20 more times. Repeat 4 times.

That was something Lou came up with and it's worked pretty well teaching the kids how to push themselves when they are tired already.

So what do you guys do?
    hey, i tried this method today. i did 3 sets of 12 with 25lb DBs.... do you think 3 sets is enough?

also, would i benefit from a set or two of heavier dumbbells but lower reps. like reps of 3 or something?
    When I die. I want to be frozen. And if they have to freeze me in pieces, so be it. I will wake up stronger than ever, because I will have used that time, to figure out exactly why I died. And what moves I could have used to defend myself better now that I know what hold he had me in.

Conditioning only lasts 30min. It's short and intense.

The problem we had with having guys jump on the box for a given amount of time, was that I realized many of them weren't jumping completely on the box, they'd jump on their toes or arches and then jump off. I want them jumping completely on top of the box.
    To try and help with this (for myself) I do two things:
    1) Put a box to step off on, on the side of the box I'm jumping onto. If I have to stepdown sideways from the top of the box I have to steady myself and rest on my whole foot.
    2) I also aim for the center of the box and not the front edge. Maybe you could put an x in tape on the middle. Then they'll be in position to rest their feet completely and without fear of falling back.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Travis, how do you integrate box jumps with Squats? Do you do them the same day you do squats? Two or 3 days before so you have adequate recovery time?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Yep, we do them on DE squat day. I rotate box height, DB weight and type of box jump depending on the time of year, proximity to a game and how the squat workout was.

Last week I did something that was kind of fun, biggest box at this place is 36" so I grabbed some dumbells and was just doing some singles went in small increments starting with 20 lbers, worked up to 55 and was barely able to get on the box so I kept using that weight for a few more reps, short rest, not so much conditioning, but I thought it was fun. Did it on my dynamic day.

At the end of our workout session yesterday we went upstairs where they have some boxes and practiced some box jumps. They were all standing box jumps and I was able to make it up to 42" standing. For the 45 and 46" boxes I took one step then jumped up. I think if I keep at it I can improve those numbers and get up to 4' pretty quickly, then it would be nice to be able to jump up to 54" (4.5').

I had never tried for a best height before so it was interesting to see what I could do. Not bad for my size, I guess.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

That's excellent Guido! Very nice work.

get some video if you can, not for proof, but it just is entertaining to watch people jump on boxes

I was trying to work up to higher boxes in my box jumping and I had two boxes stacked on top of 45lbs plates to try and get something high enough. A little iffy I guess. My gym thought I was a liability. I guess I'll have to go lower and jump with DBs. I'd be curious how high I could make it...

That's excellent Guido! Very nice work.

get some video if you can, not for proof, but it just is entertaining to watch people jump on boxes
    Entertaining part truly comes when you almost miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    Entertaining part truly comes when you almost miss it.
    My buddy (6'4") stacked yesterday on a box jump. Good times. And I do wish I had it on video! haha.

When training athletes we use:
    standing box jumps
    seated box jumps
    depth jumps
    two foot bounding
    side box jumps - standing beside the box and jumping
    jumping off foam
    With all jumps we vary with dumbells, weighted vests and using only one foot.

Is there any carryover to your squat from these?

I'm thinking about adding 3 sets of weighed jumps seated off a 12" box then onto a 24" box on my DE day as Travis said he had his guys do in his first post..

I'm looking for another hip/quad/glute/ham exercise without resorting to diagonal leg press. I'm thinking about rotating these between lunges & step ups bi-weekly..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t