The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Any plans on doing another one? August 2nd doesn't work for me but I'd definitely be up for doing one sometime if you do it again (especially since I have close family in Dixon, so right close).
    Send me a pm

I compete in 6-8 comps/year and train all year long. I hear people talk about the "off season". WTF is that??? At times I get tired and think maybe I should take some time off. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to, thinking I will lose what I have and never get it back. After going up to Rob Luyando's benchfest, I have to say it has lit the fire back. Being in that atmosphere with 15 dedicated lifter's, working their asses off in the heat it's made me want to get "Bigger, Stronger...well maybe not Faster" but I would like to hit a solid 750+ bench @ 53. Anyone who wants to "get the fire back" or just improve their bench should seriously consider Rob's bench seminar on Aug 2nd.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Thanks for the props Pops! Fire? Are you sure you didn't take an extra geratol?

Rob, if you made a DVD i'd definitely buy it. I think this seminar is too far away for me. Love to have you come to Western NE, but interest in PL has died the last decade. If you could make it to Denver or possible to Big Iron in Omaha, i'd love to see it. I've been following the ST site and Mark Bell's log and seeing the help you're giving him. I'll look into your consultation package this winter once I'm past a couple of meets I've already got planned out. But really, a DVD would be great!

The problem with a DVD is the fact that we cant be there to explain fully what we are doing. There really is no substitute for the hands on practical application of what we are explaining.

I understand the cost of traveling to these kinds of things(I am paying for flying out to do it), but even considering the added cost of traveling, it is well worth it to gain the training knowledge and technique advantages that Rob and I can give you. This is one of the reasons why we have kept the entry price so low, so lifters like you(who might be in a powerlifting dead area) can afford to come, even considering the price of traveling.

I hope you will still consider getting out to the seminar.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Would this be worthwhile to go to if you've never trained in a shirt before? I just checked and rock falls is only 2 hours outside of chicago.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Would this be worthwhile to go to if you've never trained in a shirt before? I just checked and rock falls is only 2 hours outside of chicago.
    I'd say yes, if you have any thoughts of ever shirt benching. It will help you tremendously, since you haven't developed any "bad" habits yet. I'm sure there will be someone there with a shirt there that may fit for you to try out. What is your chest size & bw? Maybe Rob could find a loaner shirt for you to try out.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    Yes this seminar will be benificial to both raw and equiped lifters. Let me know how big you are and we can try to have a shirt for you to play in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1 View Post
    Rob, if you made a DVD i'd definitely buy it. I think this seminar is too far away for me. Love to have you come to Western NE, but interest in PL has died the last decade. If you could make it to Denver or possible to Big Iron in Omaha, i'd love to see it. I've been following the ST site and Mark Bell's log and seeing the help you're giving him. I'll look into your consultation package this winter once I'm past a couple of meets I've already got planned out. But really, a DVD would be great!
    Nebraska isn't that far of a drive there are a few hotels with reasonable rates. Talk a buddy into going with you and you can cut travel costs.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    tough luck with that date man.... lots of the Illinois lifters will be at the AWPC worlds that weekend.....

next time I would love to come out though.....

We will still have a good turnout at seminar. This date worked for Paul and I so thats why we picked it.

I mean tough luck for me....... I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting good attendance.....

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I mean tough luck for me....... I'm sure that you will have no trouble getting good attendance.....
    I will possibly be hosting another seminar at Jacked Hardcore gym later this summer.

MMy sponsor MHP will be throwing some goods my way to give out at the seminar.

I'm sure you are almost booked full by now. The stragglers better get moving or I bet they'll be left out.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    I will possibly be hosting another seminar at Jacked Hardcore gym later this summer.
    I heard something about that from Byron and Rudy last Sat.... glad to hear it right from the source

APT has graciously decided to send product out for the seminar as well. I should be receiving the package soon....it will be a good time!

I beleive he is sending us some t-shirts and wrist straps....
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

My rotational on call is that weekend otherwise I'd make a road trip. Hopefully there will be another one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLift View Post
    My rotational on call is that weekend otherwise I'd make a road trip. Hopefully there will be another one soon.
    Will be holding one later in the summer at Jacked Hardcore Gym. I will anounce a date once its set.

Still a few spots open guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Northern Illinois University/Zenzen Barbell
    I would come, but it seems like everyone on my team except me is doing the AWPC worlds. I got to go and help out my training partners.

When are you having the next freak day?
    Last edited by TankofZenzenBB; 07-20-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Thats cool Tank. Actually a bunch of us will be training on Saturday prior to the Seminar. Have about 10 guys for Saturdays training session. Going to be fun kicking Paul Key's ass all over the gym. He has been crazy busy this summer with kids and schooling he hasn't been getting his time in a shirt.

Kick my ass all over the gym? I have been just sandbagging to let you think you were closer to me than you are...I will bring my XL can of whoop ass for yalol

You got that AC installed yet? I cant be getting to sweaty when I train...
    Sponsored by:
    APT ProWristStraps

Wannabebig Member
    Thats cool Tank. Actually a bunch of us will be training on Saturday prior to the Seminar. Have about 10 guys for Saturdays training session. Going to be fun kicking Paul Key's ass all over the gym. He has been crazy busy this summer with kids and schooling he hasn't been getting his time in a shirt.
    Damn, wish I could be there. I had one hell of a time when I was at your gym last, I got a big p.r. I sweated so much it was easier for me to touch and I didn't bring a lot of water (bad idea). Dick wanted me to do AWPC worlds, but I think I need to take the time off and work on my technique. On top of that, I got nagging shoulder pain in my right shoulder, I think it might be my ac-joint. I've been pretty dam lazy lately getting my ass to the gym for my auxiliary days and squats. I get home from work and I don't feel like doing a damn thing, but sit my ass on the couch and ice my shoulder.
    Last edited by TankofZenzenBB; 07-21-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Tank your not going to get strong missing all your assitance work. Assitance work is just as important at your bench training. How many guys are lifting Sunday? If you help out Fri & Sat they shouldn't miss you Sunday come to the seminar and learn.

Wannabebig Member
    Tank your not going to get strong missing all your assitance work. Assitance work is just as important at your bench training. How many guys are lifting Sunday? If you help out Fri & Sat they shouldn't miss you Sunday come to the seminar and learn.
    I know. Since my shoulder been acting up I do moderate weight on my assistance days when I lift. I don't want to aggravate it. I've been doing tons of rehab work for it, which seems to be working. I even started taking an extra 2 days off before my heavy bench workout. I should take it an easy for a while. I'm working Friday. Dick is lifting Sunday and 4 lifters are lifting Saturday.
    Last edited by TankofZenzenBB; 07-22-2009 at 02:48 PM.