Thread: What to do: Keep doing what Im doing, or change? A little story too...

What to do: Keep doing what Im doing, or change? A little story too...

First, my stats:
    21 years old
    178lbs
    6'4"
    12% bodyfat (I think)

My Story:
    I got into lifting in October last year. I weighted about 140 at that time (up from 130 in July.) I was in the hospital after having my second collapsed lung, and lost some weight in July, that's why I weighed so little. I havn't been involved in sports, or anything physical for that matter since 1994 or so... I was never really physically fit, just alright.

After leaving the hospital, I was told I had to wait 6 months before I could do anything remotely physical. I began light weightlifting (for teh first time in my life) 4 months after I got out. I was bound and determined to be healhy, and in my eyes, that meant physically fit as well.

I have been attempting to bulk since then, and have seen decent gains. Being an ectomorph makes it that much more fun. I have lately platoed on my bulking, but I am still seeing strenght gains. Summer is coming up, and I was trying to decide if I should cut for a few weeks to look better for summer, or if I should continue with what I am doing.

Being 178lbs and 6'4" seems low. Should I continue bulking All the way through until next summer, or should I cut fora while right now while it counts? I am not really happy with my physique, but I dont know what else to do.

What are your suggestions?
    Push the envelope/Watch it bend.

My situation is similar to yours. I started going to the gym (for the first time in my life) 6-7 months ago. I had been bulking up for the last 3 months. I have made some progress in size and strenght but still I am not BIG enough to impress anyone in the gym.
    Spring is here and as a result of bulking up I gained some in my waistline also. After thinking about it a little bit and considering my PERSONAL preferences, I decided NOT to discontinue bulking up. The only thing I am doing to get rid of fat is that I have added 2 cardio days (running for 15 minutes) a week. I also have now put a tab on extra calories.
    So in a nutshell I am trying to maintain my gains and getting rid of some fat thru diet check and little bit of running. May be next summer I will do the "proper" cutting. This summer I wont cut extensively cos I have not made much of gains.
    Last edited by Vynod; 04-17-2002 at 03:01 PM.

TTT

Give me responses, or

Now you're in for it.

Last edited by jell999; 04-18-2002 at 02:47 PM.

I'd bulk.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

Thanks for the input guys...
    I think Im still a little underweight, so Im going to keep bulking.
    *sigh* ...maybe next summer.

man, in my opinion, cutting is nonsense. big is good, and small is bad. who cares if you have a sixpack. if you have a flat muscular stomach, and your arms are 30% bigger, and youve developed your body enough to have definition with moderate bf, then why cut?

Show a woman two pictures...

1) A guy who is monsterous and muscular, but with no definition and the beginnings of a beer gut.

2) A guy who isn't huge, but that has an ungodly six-pack and extremely low body fat.

Ask her which one she would rather sleep with. 90% will say #2. THAT is why people are constantly cutting. Size *isn't* everything.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

Originally posted by Cue-Ball
    Show a woman two pictures...

1) A guy who is monsterous and muscular, but with no definition and the beginnings of a beer gut.

2) A guy who isn't huge, but that has an ungodly six-pack and extremely low body fat.

Ask her which one she would rather sleep with. 90% will say #2. THAT is why people are constantly cutting. Size *isn't* everything.
    yeah, then show the muscular guy the picture of the skinny guy so he can find him and break his skinny neck.

also, i disagree. i think women like guys who are muscular, not skinny. how pathetic do you think guys wth sub 15 inch arms and no chest look? very pathetic. he is 6'4 178, if he was 5'9'' he might want to cut, but im picturing him as pretty skinny at that height.
    my other favorite forum! Check it out!

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/

I'm not saying that he should cut. Without seeing pictures (just looking at his stats) i'd say he needs some more body weight. But to say "big is good, small is bad" is not what i would consider the best approach. It's no good being able to bench 300lbs if you can't see your feet past your beer gut.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz

cue-ball
    1) A guy who is monsterous and muscular, but with no definition and the beginnings of a beer gut
    No one here wants to be muscular with beer gut. Every body wants to be muscular with less fat around gut. I would say good muscle mass everywhere and flat stomach makes the good look better. I wouldnt care for a six pack unless I am modelling topless or am a swimmer.

I don't think you have enough size to cut yet. Keep bulking. I'm guessing you don't have much fat on you at the weight your at, you probably already have the thinner musclar look going. So a few more pounds of muscle will just add that much more to it.

On the other hand, if you cut, your going to look.. well, way to thin even if you are showing abs. (Side note: saw my first set of abs on a girl yesterday.. and I think she would have looked a whole lot better if she didn't have bones for arms and shoulders.)
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    im in the same boat. if you have a fast metabolism, just eat everything in sight and go balls-out every time you lift. you will get big and ripped at the same time.
    ryde out :alcoholic