The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Intermediate Body Building Guide Tweak

So currently I'm doing the intermediate body building guide. I am interested in both body building and strength training, and I've been making some good gains both strength-wise as well as physique-wise, so I'd like to stick to it.

However, on the main power lifts (bench, deads, and squats), I'd like to put it into a strength driven format. I know everybody on here stresses lifting heavy, and I've noticed in a lot of the journals that people will do like 6 sets with low reps and high weight. So yesterday, for bench, I did something like this:

10 Pushups to get the blood flowing
    185 x 6
    205 x 3
    215 x 3
    225 x 3
    245 x 6

But frankly I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so any advice would be appreciated in terms of how to ramp up. I used to do 3 sets of 215 x 8 (although i could usually only get 6 or 7 by the last set), but I plateaued there for a while, so I figured lifting heavier would probably help. I put the intermediate weightlifting routine below.

Monday: Chest and triceps

Incline dumbbell press 3 x 8-12
    Flat barbell press 3 x 8-12
    Pec flye machine 3 x 12
    Lying EZ-bar extensions 3 x 12
    Weighted dip 3 x 8-12
    Rope cable pushdown 3 x 12
    Tuesday: Back

Chin-up 3 x 8-12
    Deadlift 3 x 8-12
    Lat pulldown 3 x 12
    Barbell row 3 x 8-12
    Seated cable row 3 x 12
    Thursday: Legs and calves

Squat 4 x 8-12
    Leg press 3 x 12-20
    Lying leg curl 4 x 12
    Stiff-leg deadlift 4 x 12
    Leg extension 3 x 12-15
    Standing calf raise 3 x 10-12
    Seated calf raise 2 x 20
    Friday: Shoulders and biceps

Seated dumbbell press 4 x 8-12
    Lateral raise 4 x 10-12
    Rear lateral raise 4 x 10-12
    Barbell curl 3 x 10-12
    Preacher curl 3 x 10-12
    Hammer dumbbell curl 3 x 10-12

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The people on this forum have two options: answer my question, or burn in hell for all eternity. The ball's in your court.

It looks like all you did was have four warm up sets and one working set there...

I personally like it when you do something more like this:

225x3
    235x3
    245x3
    255x1
    225x8

Obviously those are just numbers... But the way you have it structured really makes the other stuff a warm up... But that's just my opinion.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d0rkyd00d View Post
    The people on this forum have two options: answer my question, or burn in hell for all eternity. The ball's in your court.
    I guess I'm burning in hell cuz your routine is ****.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    I guess I'm burning in hell cuz your routine is ****.

**** for what? Strength Building? Body building? I know a lot of the power lifters on this site call any kind of body building routine **** because of their obvious difference in goals.

Maybe you should take this up with Ron Harris? Should I not trust the articles in the Article section on this site?

But frankly I don't know what the hell I'm doing,
    And why do you consider yourself an intermediate?
    No offense, but an intermediate would know what they are doing.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    And why do you consider yourself an intermediate?
    No offense, but an intermediate would know what they are doing.
    Sorry, I thought the context surrounding my statement would clarify in what way I didn't know what I was doing, seeing as how it's a very general statement unless one also looks at the context in which it was used.

Yes, that routine sucks for bodybuilding, powerlifting, basic strength, football, and possibly even teatherball.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Yes, that routine sucks for bodybuilding, powerlifting, basic strength, football, and possibly even teatherball.
    So I guess this Ron Harris guy who's been bodybuilding for 16 years is an idiot. I feel very foolish admittedly. Maybe somebody should advise the admin of the forums to take the article down since it's so ****ty.
    Last edited by d0rkyd00d; 06-22-2009 at 12:18 PM.

You got a real reply and you completely lost that in the mix and decided to get into a pissing contest...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Kosh,

I appreciate your reply. It was really the only one that addressed how I asked.

I didn't mean to get into a "pissing contest." No other reply was relevant to the question I'd asked. The rest were basically, "Your routine sucks." That's it. I mean an explanation why it sucks in relation to BODYBUILDING (not powerlifting) would be useful, but coming in and simply stating "it sucks," in my mind, is the equivalent to just calling somebody an idiot in the middle of a debate instead of addressing their points.

So yes, I'd be curious to know in more detail why people think this gentleman, who has 16 years of bodybuilding experience, has created a "****ty" routine for intermediates, and why the website administrator would throw it up there if it was crap.

This is obviously important, because if there are other crappy articles on there, I want to be more cautious. And I think the writer of the article deserves a little more respect, and at least consideration, than somebody writing a post declaring it is a "****ty" routine. That is disrespectful.

Ron Harris is a pro. Don't train like pros, until you have almost reached your genetic potential and need extremely high volume and tons of isolation exercises just to add a small bit more of mass.
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

By the way... this comment here...

...will make nobody want to respond to you the way you like.

Bri, that's why he wrote an intermediate bodybuilding routine....for intermediates, not pros. I'm guessing that's not the way he trains.

Scarz, it was a joke. I'm assuming most people realized that, sorry if you missed it.

By the way, if anybody else has an opinion relevant to the OP, I'd appreciate it. Again, Kosh, thank you for your input, I will definitely go with that.

Eh, I guess that I always considered someone that was interested in "bodybuilding" to be someone who's primary concern was building mass and staying lean.

That being said, I kinda just have it in my head that the best way to train for those purposes is heavy, at least 90% compound lifts, and each session being progressively harder then the previous. Also, I also always believed that bodypart split training was not as good as movement-based training.

And as for the mass and leanness part, it's all about diet.

So when I see a bodypart split routine loaded with iso's and machines, it makes me cringe. That's all. No offense.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Eh, I guess that I always considered someone that was interested in "bodybuilding" to be someone who's primary concern was building mass and staying lean.

That being said, I kinda just have it in my head that the best way to train for those purposes is heavy, at least 90% compound lifts, and each session being progressively harder then the previous. Also, I also always believed that bodypart split training was not as good as movement-based training.

And as for the mass and leanness part, it's all about diet.

So when I see a bodypart split routine loaded with iso's and machines, it makes me cringe. That's all. No offense.
    None taken. I've learned quite a lot from the people on this site, and I'm gracious for it.

For instance, I don't think there's any way I could've done 6 reps of 245 if I hadn't been working on my deadlift and squats for the past month or so....I think they've helped me strength-wise immensely. And I wouldn't have done either of those lifts had I not found this site and listened to the advice of people on here.

Eventually I want to have a routine with the main compound lifts like in your sig (OH press, power cleans, bench, squat, and deads) with some supplemental iso exercises. Soon I'll probably start SS or madcow.

Well it's awesome that you're learning and taking things in and applying them. Best of luck with your goals.

Bri, that's why he wrote an intermediate bodybuilding routine....for intermediates, not pros. I'm guessing that's not the way he trains
    And that's why I made my intermediate comment (it wasn't a jab). A true intermediate might get away with a routine like that. BUT...an intermediate trainer would know how to tweak it to work for them AND, an intermediate would have the strength base to benefit from the isolation stuff. If you are not an intermediate, stay away from it. If you were an intermediate, you wouldn't be asking these questions.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!