The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: P90x

P90x

Anyone try this, Any good results? Worth the money?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i'm doing a couple things from it.
    the stretching routine, and the ab/core routines are good. everything else i hit during my gym sessions.
    i have a few friends on it now.
    what are your goals? how long have you been lifting?
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

lifting for about 4 months, and doing the ab cor plus routine, my goal is toet in shape and be able to see my abs.

Im also very involved in hockey which is another big reason for the working out.

Thank you!

www.crossfit.com

Better than P90x and free.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    I'll save you some reading:

P90x is not a bad program, it's great at getting people back into shape, but unless you have ridiculous genetics, you aren't going to get jacked.

If you are just looking to keep yourself healthy and lose some weight go for it. But most of us on this board aren't just out to get nice toned arms a six-pac, so it typically doesn't jive well with the general philosophy of this board.

EDIT: Or what Jorge said.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 06-22-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
    lifting for about 4 months, and doing the ab cor plus routine, my goal is toet in shape and be able to see my abs.

Im also very involved in hockey which is another big reason for the working out.
    getting in shape doesn't necessarily mean "seeing your abs".

if you're involved in hockey (which i used to be for most of my life), i'd do with heavy weight training. although P90X does give you more endurance, weight training will give you better speed and power.

do Starting Strength, and you'll be amazed in the difference you see in the next 4 months.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

cool, thanks alot guys for heading me in the right direction, greatly appreciated!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Crossfit is a great program for balance of general fitness and strength.

P90X is good for someone who is looking to work out at home and has general goals associated with weight loss or general fitness.

If you are interested in building muscle then I would look outside of both of these programs and go with a periodized (bodypart split) program at a conventional gym.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

i really like the abs part, i do it all the time in the morning at my friends house. other than that i'd much rather stick to conventional lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

P90X is good for someone who is looking to work out at home and has general goals associated with weight loss or general fitness.

If you are interested in building muscle then I would look outside of both of these programs and go with a periodized (bodypart split) program at a conventional gym.
    This is the correct response.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post

im not a big fan of crossfit, there is no science backing it, nor any method to the madness, its just that, madness.

It will get you in shape no doubt, but ive also know tons of people getting hurt from there haphazard workouts

but if thats what you into then give it a shot, all crossfit needs is to do some scientific investigation and order of exercise selection and it will truly make a safer and more effective
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    im not a big fan of crossfit, there is no science backing it, nor any method to the madness, its just that, madness.

It will get you in shape no doubt, but ive also know tons of people getting hurt from there haphazard workouts

but if thats what you into then give it a shot, all crossfit needs is to do some scientific investigation and order of exercise selection and it will truly make a safer and more effective
    Do you think that these people are getting hurt because of the type of training? or because of the intensity of the workouts and perhaps the lack of proper supervision or preparedness for this form of training?

Crossfit workouts would not be in line with my goals (strength, power, conditioning, hypertrophy) but could be good for people who are looking for a balance of endurance training, some strength training, and "functional" or bodyweight movements.

Having poeple do chins, power cleans, snatches, and high intensity workouts who are not already in fairly good shape can be very dangerous without very close monitoring by a qualified professional.

In terms of the actual breakdown of the programs - I do not see how circuit training or basic movements could be considered dangerous. They do not really do anything out of the ordinary:

- Endurance: Rowing, Running, Cycling
    - Lifting: Power Cleans, Deadlift, Olympic Squats, Snatch, Kettlebells, Strict Press.
    - Bodyweight: Box Jumps, Chins, etc.

I am sure that this topic has been heavily debated. Different programs are right for different people. There are plenty of people who would benefit from Crossfit programs, but also a lot of people who would not. With this being more of a bodybuilding / power lifting / weight lifting board the general opinion is probably that this program is not right for most of us.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    www.crossfit.com

Better than P90x and free.
    Crossfit looks really fun, but I don't understand why people call it free. You need access to a lot of equipment (sometimes including bumper plates). P90X is cheap in comparison for most people.

I've done P90x and it is a good program. I used it to get back into shape after a long layoff. It isn't for everyone. Especially those on these boards. Most guys here are all about size. P90x is not that type of workout. There are a lot of bashers of the program and honestly, it is a great workout if done properly. The ab routine is intense and I still do it and the plyometrics session is crazy. You sweat like a mother f'er doing that. I still do that once or twice a month to switch up my cardio routine. If you are looking for a good starting point, I would recommend P90x. After it is over, move on to a different routine. Maybe SS.